The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 99

User Info Menu

Still very much the blues, in my book. A lot of these extensions, the flat 5, the #9...maybe they weren't in the accompanist's chords, but they sure could be in the melody.

There's so many styles and subsets...and a blues needn't be i IV V or 12 bars or none of that. And in fact, a lot of the earlier stuff wasn't. Blues, like jazz, is a how, not just a what. (Although there certainly are "blues" what's too, I just find them less important than the how)

Being from Chicago really just means that I can go around and hear both the best blues on the planet and the worst

Joel's story is quite poignant for me. There's a lot of curation in the blues community...a lot of gate keeping...playing the wrong kind of blues can definitely turn some eyebrows. But sometimes the sweep from an electric, West Side kinda of blues to a more jazz like "uptown" approach isn't such a stretch. Bend through those chromatics instead of playing them as 8th notes, for example

Incidentally, it's blues week over at Jam of the Week on Facebook...gonna have a go at "Away All the Time," thanks for turning me on to that one, y'all...great tune. And gotta love Lonnie.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Did you see that post by joelf up there? It's a blues gig and he was playing bop stuff over it and got the chop.
    Not exactly, but whatever it was was not what was needed. Pomus had definite ideas about what was blues and what wasn't. And he was the boss.

And everybody in the business has to get fired at least once. Rite of passage...

User Info Menu

Jeff -

Absolutely.

Being from Chicago really just means that I can go around and hear both the best blues on the planet and the worst
    I bet :-)

Glad you like that Away tune. Me too, very nice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Not exactly, but whatever it was was not what was needed. Pomus had definite ideas about what was blues and what wasn't. And he was the boss.

And everybody in the business has to get fired at least once. Rite of passage...
    Way it goes. I've been fired too (once) :-)

when I wasn't doing the firing...

joelf Guest
    Way it goes. I've been fired too (once) :-)

when I wasn't doing the firing...
    Let's don't even talk about 'regular' jobs.

Oi vay...

User Info Menu

Oh, I've walked out of more 'proper' jobs than most people have had pancakes for breakfast

Never without due cause, though.

User Info Menu

Here's a 2 chorus blow on "Away all the Time. Tried to throw in some $10 chords

Great tune, thanks again for turning me on to it.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Here's a 2 chorus blow on "Away all the Time. Tried to throw in some $10 chords

Great tune, thanks again for turning me on to it.

You have a real feel for this stuff, Jeff---especially the time feel. Please keep it up. Really enjoying you...

User Info Menu

throw in some $10 chords
    See, I told you he wasn't cheap

User Info Menu

I'm absolutely baffled...you're all wonderful players.

Here's a video by Duved Dunayevsky in a blues-style I really love.
    I'd call it : "Pre-Django Eddie Lang"

User Info Menu

Still very much the blues, in my book. A lot of these extensions, the flat 5, the #9...maybe they weren't in the accompanist's chords, but they sure could be in the melody.

So this comment made me wonder.... what's the difference in "jazzing up a blues tune", and a jazz player playing "a blues"? I've heard jazz players use that phrase a lot.... what makes it "a blues" to them? That's it's 12-bar? That's it's I-IV-V? What?

FWIW, some of my all-time favorite jazz playing is very VERY bluesy... the OLD Louis Armstrong stuff (before the "Bing Years" lol). In my ear, you can't really separate the blues from the jazz on those tunes.... nor would I want to...

User Info Menu

There's a big difference. Jazzing a blues is just putting in extended chords like 9ths and 13ths, etc, and playing extended lines that outline those chords. And it generally sounds like a blues should but with more subtle sounds. But the progressions don't have to be 12 bars, they could be 8 or 16, and so forth.

Jazz players playing blues is like this. Sandu is just a straightforward jazz-blues 12-bar progression, nothing fancy, but the playing style isn't at all straightforward!

User Info Menu

crusoe -

Were you going to do something with 'Four Until Late'?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    So this comment made me wonder.... what's the difference in "jazzing up a blues tune", and a jazz player playing "a blues"? I've heard jazz players use that phrase a lot.... what makes it "a blues" to them? That's it's 12-bar? That's it's I-IV-V? What?

FWIW, some of my all-time favorite jazz playing is very VERY bluesy... the OLD Louis Armstrong stuff (before the "Bing Years" lol). In my ear, you can't really separate the blues from the jazz on those tunes.... nor would I want to...
    Jazz players still use the 12-bar blues form, but they make it more complex by adding passing chords, or prefacing some of the chords with a ii-V, etc. Something like this for example:

Jazzin' up old Blues Tunes-0835dcb1-a63e-42cb-b062-b8fa5d20cff7-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9

sure, Lonnie Johnson (on some the Louis sides), Bessie Smith, Bechet with Josh White, old WC Handy songs. That kind of thing. Never get old....

User Info Menu

There's a big difference. Jazzing a blues is just putting in extended chords like 9ths and 13ths, etc, and playing extended lines that outline those chords. And it generally sounds like a blues should but with more subtle sounds. But the progressions don't have to be 12 bars, they could be 8 or 16, and so forth.

Jazz players playing blues is like this. Sandu is just a straightforward jazz-blues 12-bar progression, nothing fancy, but the playing style isn't at all straightforward!

I have to say the contrast between Peter and Gilad’s take on soloing on a blues is very marked. I find GH’s approach to be very clever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crusoe
    I'm absolutely baffled...you're all wonderful players.

Here's a video by Duved Dunayevsky in a blues-style I really love.
    I'd call it : "Pre-Django Eddie Lang"

interesting. I heard this playing as extremely faithful to Django’s mid 30s style.

listening to it again - yes I can hear the eddie Lang influence. But as the clip goes on there’s some very Django stuff that no one else plays. Like that deft little picked glissando between melody notes. Django played that all the time c1935. No one else does it. They all do the monster J’attendrai/Montaigne st Genevieve lick, but not these more subtle little things.

Duved’s playing kind of underlines that modern gypsy jazz style players don’t really sound like Django.

TBH you can play anything on that type of guitar and people will say it sounds like Django. It doesn’t mean it does. People react to tone colour and the tone colour of the Selmer guitar is very reified, like the banjo.

Which can be fun if you subvert it.

User Info Menu

I've seen that Duved video before...I actually think it's one of the most "Django" sounding recordings I've ever heard by one of the "new guard" guys...I absolutely love it.

I think I'll transcribe it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    You have a real feel for this stuff, Jeff---especially the time feel. Please keep it up. Really enjoying you...
    Thanks Joel...I really like playing in this style. Bend a few strings, bash out some chords...it's very "guitar."

User Info Menu

I've seen that Duved video before...I actually think it's one of the most "Django" sounding recordings I've ever heard by one of the "new guard" guys...I absolutely love it.

why not just transcribe Django?

User Info Menu

crusoe -

Were you going to do something with 'Four Until Late'?
    ...just crying over it (from four until late...)
    Serious: No, it was just a "balloon". What shall we do next ?

User Info Menu

YES YES YES...please start at once

User Info Menu

What shall we do next ?
    Well, I'm game. Let's choose something with a really strong melody, something that'll stand up without lyrics (because presumably we're not going to sing it).

Also, do you want to try some soloing? If you use that Audacity program you can put down the backing and play over it. Way to go.

User Info Menu

YES YES YES...please start at once
    I probably will start today, but don't expect anything written out nicely. That's like school. I spend my whole life in school, I don't need to be in it at home too

When I say "transcribe," I really mean scribble down some stuff so I remember as I steal all the parts I like.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm game. Let's choose something with a really strong melody, something that'll stand up without lyrics (because presumably we're not going to sing it).

Also, do you want to try some soloing? If you use that Audacity program you can put down the backing and play over it. Way to go.
    "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" would be a good one.