The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

In the Mickey Baker book (lesson 15) he lays out 3 commonly used bridge progressions:

#1. III7 > VI7 > II7 > V7 The "I Got Rhythm" bridge.

#2. I7 > IV > II7 > V7 The "Honey Suckle Rose" bridge. I recognize that this is also the bridge to "Satin Doll" if you leave out the companion ii-chords usually played in "Satin Doll".

#3. III7 > vi > II7 > V7 None of the handful of standards I know (about 18) have this bridge.

So, my questions are: Which standards use bridge #3? What other standards use bridges #1 and #2?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jack E Blue; 02-27-2020 at 02:08 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Last edited by Drumbler; 02-26-2020 at 02:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    In the Mickey Baker book (lesson 15) he lays out 3 commonly used bridge progressions:

#1. III7 > IV7 > II7 > V7 The "I Got Rhythm" bridge.

#2. I7 > IV > II7 > V7 The "Honey Suckle Rose" bridge. I recognize that this is also the bridge to "Satin Doll" if you leave out the companion ii-chords usually played in "Satin Doll".

#3. III7 > vi > II7 > V7 None of the handful of standards I know (about 18) have this bridge.

So, my questions are: Which standards use bridge #3? What other standards use bridges #1 and #2?

Thanks
    I can't get started does that, but it's in the A section

User Info Menu

#1 used to be known as the Sears & Roebuck bridge, #2 was the Montgomery Ward bridge. For #3, I think it's more common to have VI7 than vi.

User Info Menu

#1. III7 > IV7 > II7 > V7 The "I Got Rhythm" bridge.
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't the "I Got Rhythm" bridge III7 > VI7 > II7 > V7 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Howzabopping
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't the "I Got Rhythm" bridge III7 > VI7 > II7 > V7 ?
    You are correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I meant VI7 and typed IV7. I edited the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    Thanks for the link. I never explored that area of Ralph Patt's website. It's worth spending some time there.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    #1 used to be known as the Sears & Roebuck bridge, #2 was the Montgomery Ward bridge. For #3, I think it's more common to have VI7 than vi.

True, but then it would be the same as the Rhythm Changes bridge.

Do you know of any songs other than Honeysuckle Rose and Satin Doll that use bridge #2?

User Info Menu

[/B]
    True, but then it would be the same as the Rhythm Changes bridge.

Do you know of any songs other than Honeysuckle Rose and Satin Doll that use bridge #2?
    Pennies from Heaven

User Info Menu

Sunny Side of the Street
    When You're Smiling

There are more, but I don't have time to search for them right now. And remember, the sequence doesn't have to be exactly those chords, alterations and substitutes are common.

User Info Menu

Another one I ran across just running through some tunes:

i'm Confessin'

The books I have show embellishments, but the basic chord structure is the Montgomery Ward bridge.

User Info Menu

The old tune by Louis Armstrong, Shine, has #3 for the B part, as does All of Me.

In its simplest form, Birth of the Blues has the Sears & Roebuck bridge.
    Last edited by Ukena; 03-24-2020 at 08:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Si tu vois ma mère by Sidney Bechet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Sunny Side of the Street
    When You're Smiling
    The bridge on these is a "Montgomery Ward", i.e. it goes to IV (measure 3 of the bridge), not VIm:

Gm7 | C7 | F | % |
    Am7 | D7 | Dm7 | G7 ||

Pretty much a "type 2" on the OP list, with some II sharing the V durations.