The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Never heard something done so convincingly

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yeah thats a classic vid..but the debate still lingers!!

iconic chord!

cheers

User Info Menu

Magic.

You ever think, in these moments in the studio, if the Beatles/Martin knew right then and there how magical it was?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah thats a classic vid..but the debate still lingers!!

iconic chord!

cheers
    not for me it doesn’t
    that chord woke me up
    when i was a kid !
    (63 now )

i believe they NAILED it !

User Info Menu

reminds me of the solo in and your bird can sing...on the record it's 2 guitars...but a lot of young players back in the day, didnt realize that..and learned to play the solo, solo....joe walsh & cyril jordan did that as kids!..

mr.b, thought the same..sure lennon and hari be laughing if they knew the debate rages over the mystery chord...hah..back then pop music was seen as disposable..ringo was still talking about becoming a hairdresser after the music biz fling dries up for them..and that was way after they had #1 hits!!!

nobody knew this stuff was going to be studied..and volumes written about it...it is truly amazing

the lads!

cheers

User Info Menu

There is a good book by Geoff Emerick that describes a lot of these instances. It's called "Here, There and Everywhere" if anyone is interested.

Listening back to that recording just now I wrote down the notes....

- the F chord FAC,
    - with a G top and bottom GFACG,
    - with a C above GCFACG.
    - Then add the D in the bass, DGCFACG.
    - Then John's Dsus4 chord, all notes (DGA) of which are doubled. So you're left with DGCFACG.

Or, if you take it up a tone...EADGB DA. Now that MUST be significant!

Mr Beaumont - I don't think so. I think you know something has value in a deep sense i.e. not trivial workaday things such as chart potential etc. but something about musical quality/truth/honesty/marvellousness. You don't know how others will see it though. It's a mark of The Beatles with George Martin that they were on that creative 'roll' and made all those superb musical statements. A bit like the Earth being in the Goldilocks zone - doesn't happen very often. I was a Beatlemaniac at the time and I have trouble trying to convey the passion and excitement of being a fan back then. Went off them later though :-).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    There is a good book by Geoff Emerick that describes a lot of these instances. It's called "Here, There and Everywhere" if anyone is interested.
    That’s my favorite book about the Beatles and their music!

User Info Menu

If I remeber correctly, Metheny similar chord on one of his song on Secret story album. Also as a starting chord. I'll have to check it later.

User Info Menu

It's not really a chord because there are several people playing it. It's really just a sound. But the nearest is probably Fadd9/G or G7sus4. Anyway in my day everybody did it by slamming all the open strings at once. Seemed to work.

There's a live version with John playing a simple F with a G on top, snapshot attached :-)

Hard Day's Night Chord-untitled-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It's not really a chord because there are several people playing it. It's really just a sound. But the nearest is probably Fadd9/G or G7sus4. Anyway in my day everybody did it by slamming all the open strings at once. Seemed to work.

There's a live version with John playing a simple F with a G on top, snapshot attached :-)

Hard Day's Night Chord-untitled-jpg
    by that logic there are no chords in a Beethoven symphony.

but yes, there’s no grip for it.

User Info Menu

Here's an interesting article about an analysis of the chord using the Fourier method:

https://www.mscs.dal.ca/~brown/n-oct04-harddayjib.pdf

User Info Menu

Sort of apropos:

Has the mystery behind Keith Richards' acoustic sound on You Can’t Always Get What You Want finally been solved?

Has the mystery behind Keith Richards' acoustic sound on You Can’t Always Get What You Want finally been solved? | Guitar World

User Info Menu

And here's a bit more technologically complicated version:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyheadRooster
    That’s my favorite book about the Beatles and their music!
    I read it too, but fortunately (because his portrait of the 66-70 Beatles is quite negative) there are better books about the fab4. There are lots of factual errors and the fact that he once said in an interview (prior to writing the book) that he 'didn't remember much about these days' says it all. Check this link too: Geoff Emerick - Wikipedia

The fights in the last years of The Beatles are often exaggerated, but more recently, 'new' information comes up. There's a tape recording of John, Paul and George (Ringo was in the hospital) discussing a new album after Abbey Road. If it weren't for business misery (they just had way too many things going) there would have been a new album. As one of my friends said lately: 'you can't make an album like Abbey Road if you hate each other'.

Even the Get Back/Let it be documentary was edited to stress the negativity (even though you can still see the fun). This year a new edit will be released.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Here's an interesting article about an analysis of the chord using the Fourier method:

https://www.mscs.dal.ca/~brown/n-oct04-harddayjib.pdf
    Laughably off the mark. The results sound nothing like the original chord yet this article still gets reprinted regularly. You'd think the guy might have at least referred to some of the visual evidence such as the chord being played by John in the live clips noted earlier. Of course, that Fadd9 also serves as the outro chord to the song, bringing it full circle.