User Info Menu

I would like to learn how to combine chords with melody using a Lenny Breau's style and am confused about the best right hand fingering. To fix ideas, let' say we want to play this (from Matt's lesson):

Fingering for playing Lenny Breau Style-lenny_breau_chord_exercise_6-jpeg

The comping here occurs by playing the 3rd and 7th of each chord while the melody is given by highest note. Assume we play with fingers (ie no pick). Which right-hand fingering would you use?

option 1: p-i for chords and m/r for melody. PRO: easy for me. CON: volume on p is different from i and need adjusting with touch.
    option 2: i-m for chords and r for melody. CON: harder, I need to "string-skip" on bar one and three. PRO: tone is very consistent. leaves thumb for adding an additional line.

What would be your choice?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Option 1. You should be able to control the volume between thumb and fingers. If not, then that needs practice.

At least that’s how I’d do it in the example as written.

But it might be beneficial to practise it both ways, to develop as much finger independence as possible.

User Info Menu

Looking at the score and playing air guitar with my right hand the natural thing for me would be thumb playing the notes on the 4th string, index finger playing the notes on the third, middle second and ring finger playing the notes on the high E string.

Want grahambop said, too. Learn to use free and rest strokes. Every fingerstyle guitar player, in my opinion, would do well to study with a good classical teacher.

User Info Menu

Ditto to Graham's and Michael's answer. Also, second Graham's post regarding the thumb.

User Info Menu

Lenny used a thumb pick to control the volume and tone difference between thumb and (long) fingernails. So does Lorne Lofsky.