User Info Menu

Hi,

This isn't a jazz question, but I know someone here will know the answer.
    What do you call the type of rhythm used on Paul Simon song "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard?"

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post

The squeaky sound is made by a Cuica.

Cool! Always wondered what that was. It is played prominently throughout this, correct?

User Info Menu

To me the rhythm on this track sounds like some between the cracks hybrid.
    Like samba (cavaquinho), the chords are played rhythmically in a high register
    and there is some sparse usage of the Brazilian percussion instrument cuica.
    Beyond that, neither the guitar figure, drums and bass concept sound anything like typical samba figures.
    Here's a few samba songs as a point of comparison:

Ragman,

Great cut with the Cyro Baptista pandeiro solo, I wonder if that was him playing cuica with Paul Simon.
    Later I know they collaborated quite a bit.

User Info Menu

the percussionist on me & julio was the great Brazilian percussionist airto moreira! who was a hot commodity in those days (chick coreas rtf)...but remember paul simon had also worked and was working with los incas/urubamba..an andean folk music group...so there was a melding..also a queens nyc upbringing was influential as well!!

simon always tapped into the rhythms of world music..as his later graceland proves so clearly

his songwriting modus operandi (for better or worse) was to listen to authentic recordings and improvise his own lyrics/melodies to the rhythms..then record 'em

cheers

User Info Menu

Could it be more baised off Calypso.

User Info Menu

Ragman,

Great cut with the Cyro Baptista pandeiro solo, I wonder if that was him playing cuica with Paul Simon.
    Later I know they collaborated quite a bit.
    I'm afraid I don't know. I'm tempted to say there would have been more than one percussionist on a record like that. Maybe an extended google would turn up the exact 'cast list'. Or maybe it's on the back of the record :-)

User Info Menu

zdub -

It is played prominently throughout this, correct?
    Definitely correct :-)

It's also called a monkey drum because it sounds like the 'whoop, whoop' sound monkeys make.