The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 79

User Info Menu

As I said, go through some lead sheets, here or online. It's really very easy once you start looking at it. Really.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    D-9+7 would literally mean D-9 with an augmented seventh (ie an octave lol) but if I saw that I would assume that something was up.

It’s chordal word salad tbh
    You're confusing him, Christian. I've never seen D-9+7 in my life. Lot of nonsense. And you know it.

Dm/maj9 maybe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    As I said, go through some lead sheets, here or online. It's really very easy once you start looking at it. Really.
    For sure. I printed off several pieces of music yesterday and began working my way through one last night. Going to try really get some songs under my fingers and really pay attention to each chord and chord structure.

User Info Menu

You're confusing him, Christian. I've never seen D-9+7 in my life. Lot of nonsense. And you know it.

Dm/maj9 maybe.
    It's all good. I'm sure once I begin seeing these "things" more often I'll begin to distinguish one from the other. At least I hope.

User Info Menu

I did see this once but it's rare. I think this is shorthand for the 3rd in the bass. Not usually written like that, though.

Chord naming question-untitled-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shrews824
    It's all good. I'm sure once I begin seeing these "things" more often I'll begin to distinguish one from the other. At least I hope.
    So start already! Get going!

User Info Menu

So start already! Get going!
    I did!!! Started last night and going to hit again tonight.... and every night possible.

User Info Menu

Okay!

It's actually rare that you'll come across something completely obscure. Most of it is simple. I'll see if I can find one of those 'continental' sheets. They can be hard work.

User Info Menu

Okay!

It's actually rare that you'll come across something completely obscure. Most of it is simple. I'll see if I can find one of those 'continental' sheets. They can be hard work.
    Great!!! Appreciate it. Right now I've just printed off some standards. Coming from a rock and blues background makes it a little more difficult for me to master some of these grips. It's kind of like learning to play the guitar all over again. It's great!!! I was beginning to get a bit stale and stagnant in my playing. I definitely think this will help and help me think of the fretboard in a totally different way as well.

User Info Menu

Understood.

Well, Joe Pass once famously said 'If it's hard, don't play it'. He meant that you don't have to twist your fingers into knots or bust your ligaments trying to span 7 frets or something. Most of these 'jazz' grips are simple enough.

There's the m7 shape. That's, say, an Am7 played 5x555x. 2nd finger on the bass and 3rd finger making a bar across. That's common, and okay once you've got it.

There's a small stretch like, say, a D13 played xx4557. Fingerwise that's xx1224 (the 2nd finger covers two strings).

Stuff like that.

User Info Menu

Understood.

Well, Joe Pass once famously said 'If it's hard, don't play it'. He meant that you don't have to twist your fingers into knots or bust your ligaments trying to span 7 frets or something. Most of these 'jazz' grips are simple enough.

There's the m7 shape. That's, say, an Am7 played 5x555x. 2nd finger on the bass and 3rd finger making a bar across. That's common, and okay once you've got it.

There's a small stretch like, say, a D13 played xx4557. Fingerwise that's xx1224 (the 2nd finger covers two strings).

Stuff like that.
    For sure. You know, the stretches aren't the problem. The problem for me is fretting each cleanly and quickly because I'm having to think about where my fingers go. For example: maj7(9). That doesn't require a great deal of finger gymnastics, but it's not a grip that I'm used to making.

User Info Menu

What do mean maj7(9)? Did you see that on a sheet?

Normally that's just written maj9 or M9. When they put things in brackets it's usually a suggestion. You could play it as a M7 or M9 if you want.

What was the shape? Was it, say, CM9? That would be played x3243x.

User Info Menu

Dm/maj9 maybe.
    Oi! That wasn't me that was some BS you lot were on about.

User Info Menu

Oi! That wasn't me that was some BS you lot were on about.
    Quite right, I've just checked. Sorry, thought it was you. Beg pardon. Salad, as you say.

Would you have an example pic of one of those odd chord notation boxes, usually handwritten, where they get all the symbols in the wrong order? I think they're continental or european, gypsy maybe.

Do you know what I mean? There are some on the threads somewhere but god knows where.

User Info Menu

Never seen that sort of fiasco.

In French and Brazilian charts I often see C7M instead Cmaj7

There are some basic standards , but a lot of it is personal preference , in terms of what chord symbols people use. I would start with the real book. Look at the chord changes and be able to read and understand all the chord symbols which are used in the real book. Then, it would probably be helpful look at some big-band charts , as they will span greater periods of time and show you some of the older notation variants.

User Info Menu

Never seen that sort of fiasco.

In French and Brazilian charts I often see C7M instead Cmaj7
    Yes, that kind of thing.

User Info Menu

What do mean maj7(9)? Did you see that on a sheet?

Normally that's just written maj9 or M9. When they put things in brackets it's usually a suggestion. You could play it as a M7 or M9 if you want.

What was the shape? Was it, say, CM9? That would be played x3243x.
    This would be an example. Again, the stretches aren't the problem. Just training the fingers.

printable guitar chord chart

User Info Menu

Can I be honest? Not the best site. They should just write CM9 if that's what they mean, and they do mean that.

Try this, from this very site. Don't try to learn dozens of chords all at once. Get a simple tune like Autumn Leaves and find the chords for it. Then try another one in a different key. Applied, you'll learn much, much faster.

Easy Jazz Guitar Chords (Tabs & Chord Charts)

User Info Menu

Can I be honest? Not the best site. They should just write CM9 if that's what they mean, and they do mean that.

Try this, from this very site. Don't try to learn dozens of chords all at once. Get a simple tune like Autumn Leaves and find the chords for it. Then try another one in a different key. Applied, you'll learn much, much faster.

Easy Jazz Guitar Chords (Tabs & Chord Charts)

For sure. Yeah, I want honesty. Constructive criticism doesn't hurt my feelings. I don't necessarily use the site I just copied and pasted the link because that showed the example I was referring to.

Also, I already had the "Easy Jazz Guitar Chords" bookmarked so as to quickly refer to it and I think I'll use that quite a bit.

To be honest, I wasn't trying to learn all the different chords at once. I saw a jazz chart and was just reading over it when I saw the "+" and the "-" and just wanted some clarification as to what they meant.

Thanks again for all the info and interpretations.

User Info Menu

Quite right, I've just checked. Sorry, thought it was you. Beg pardon. Salad, as you say.

Would you have an example pic of one of those odd chord notation boxes, usually handwritten, where they get all the symbols in the wrong order? I think they're continental or european, gypsy maybe.

Do you know what I mean? There are some on the threads somewhere but god knows where.
    Do you mean the ‘grilles’? Here’s 488 pages of them:

http://www.jazzbanjo.nl/files/Anthol...z_3mt5jg22.pdf

User Info Menu

I did see this once but it's rare. I think this is shorthand for the 3rd in the bass. Not usually written like that, though.

The "slippin in a 5/4 measure or two" is also somewhere rare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Do you mean the ‘grilles’? Here’s 488 pages of them:

http://www.jazzbanjo.nl/files/Anthol...z_3mt5jg22.pdf
    YES! I thought it might be you :-)

Thanks, I shan't be referring to that very often

Just seen:

WT*?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shrews824
    For sure. Yeah, I want honesty. Constructive criticism doesn't hurt my feelings. I don't necessarily use the site I just copied and pasted the link because that showed the example I was referring to.

Also, I already had the "Easy Jazz Guitar Chords" bookmarked so as to quickly refer to it and I think I'll use that quite a bit.

To be honest, I wasn't trying to learn all the different chords at once. I saw a jazz chart and was just reading over it when I saw the "+" and the "-" and just wanted some clarification as to what they meant.

Thanks again for all the info and interpretations.
    No prob. I chose that Autumn Leaves because it was simple. However, (I won't bother you after this!), it's not always so... :-)

User Info Menu

No prob. I chose that Autumn Leaves because it was simple. However, (I won't bother you after this!), it's not always so... :-)

No sir, I would never presume that every song I ran across would be simple. In fact, I would probably presume that every song I run across would be quite difficult. .... and you aren't bothering me. I very much enjoy the interaction. It gets me pumped about getting home and grabbing my guitar!!!