Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hi all here is my latest video explaining the five most common mistakes I see jazz guitarists make.

Here is a link to the video:

I hope that you enjoy it!

Video Summary:

1. .Too Loud and/or Busy .32
    2. Lack of Rhythmic Variation 3.04
    3. Not Enough Right Hand Variation 6.20
    4. Too Reliant on the Bottom Two Strings 8.01
    5. Not enough harmonic interest 10:30
    Play Better Jazz Guitar Chords in 30 Days

JamieHolroydGuitar.com - Countless Free Jazz & Blues Guitar Lessons & Resources

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Jamie,

I've finally subbed to your excellent channel (not sure why I didn't do that lol.)

Comping is such a wide subject... It's very hard to make general rules in the same way as it is about soloing. Comping for a beginner is so different from a professional musician, and depending on the pro, it's so different. I figure the best things I can teach is flexibility and listening...

(Some players like a lack of rhythmic variation because it's more groove based for instance. Depends on style etc... Wes on the Charleston, Red on the upbeats, and so on...)

I've been asked to do a video on comping, on my own channel, but not sure what to cover... I feel I need to demo it with another musician, but TBH not even sure if I should be advising anyone on how to comp, because... hey, it's much more interesting and complicated than just taking a solo, don't you think?

Anyway, nice one... cheers!

User Info Menu

BTW, I particuarly liked it when you comped with the pick in the 3rd bit of the video, sounded awesome.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=christianm77;976065]Hi Jamie,

I've finally subbed to your excellent channel (not sure why I didn't do that lol.)

Comping is such a wide subject... It's very hard to make general rules in the same way as it is about soloing. Comping for a beginner is so different from a professional musician, and depending on the pro, it's so different. I figure the best things I can teach is flexibility and listening...

(Some players like a lack of rhythmic variation because it's more groove based for instance. Depends on style etc... Wes on the Charleston, Red on the upbeats, and so on...)

I've been asked to do a video on comping, on my own channel, but not sure what to cover... I feel I need to demo it with another musician, but TBH not even sure if I should be advising anyone on how to comp, because... hey, it's much more interesting and complicated than just taking a solo, don't you think?

Anyway, nice one... cheers![/QUOTE

The further I get, the more I focus on one issue: time feel. I'd watch a video on that!

User Info Menu

Thanks Christian. I really enjoy your playing and lessons too, so I appreciate the comment.

I know what you mean about teaching comping. I recantly saw a video of Jimmy Bruno talking about chords and he actually refused to teach comping "because you can't".

I respect both his and your viewpoints. At the same I think there a few technical things you can have under your belt so that you're not worry about that on the band stand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamieh View Post
    Thanks Christian. I really enjoy your playing and lessons too, so I appreciate the comment.

I know what you mean about teaching comping. I recantly saw a video of Jimmy Bruno talking about chords and he actually refused to teach comping "because you can't".

I respect both his and your viewpoints. At the same I think there a few technical things you can have under your belt so that you're not worry about that on the band stand.
    Yeah I’m not saying you can’t teach comping, just not sure how I’d do it haha.

But yeah you are totally right. Cheers man!

User Info Menu

I have asked that question of some excellent players and teachers.

They usually say the same thing: play along with records and try to imitate the feel.

You're trying to get that swing feel that, for example, I hear in everything Reg plays. In fact, playing along with his videos would be a pretty good thing to do.

Then, you have to try to make it second nature, so that, every time you play a note, the feel is there. I find that I have to remind myself. I'm also probably a little better playing standing up, although I don't usually do it.

I also think it's useful to listen to pianists. My favorite is Ralph Sharon, Tony Bennett's long time pianist. When pianists comp, it is rarely hitting chords the way a guitarist usually does. It tends to be way more varied. And, when you hear great guitarists comp, they're usually closer to what a pianist tends to do. FG style is not part of that. Jim Hall on ballads is a good example, and not terribly difficult to figure out. Chico Pinheiro is an amazing comper -- but his stuff is harder to imitate because it requires a lot of technique.

All that said, it's like learning a foreign language as an adult and trying not to have an accent. Very tough to do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamieh View Post
    Hi all here is my latest video explaining the five most common mistakes I see jazz guitarists make.

1. .Too Loud and/or Busy .32
    2. Lack of Rhythmic Variation 3.04
    3. Not Enough Right Hand Variation 6.20
    4. Too Reliant on the Bottom Two Strings 8.01
    5. Not enough harmonic interest 10:30
    With all due respect, I disagree about item 5. I think it's much more common - and a bigger mistake - to not listen to the band and the soloist. But then I thought perhaps you addressed this under your item 1, and sure enough in the video you did at least to an extent. I think your item 1 should be detailed into at least 2 or 3 items and then drop your current item 5!

User Info Menu

From my personal preference, I find too much harmonic interest is actually quite limiting. I'd rather have a bit more openness to play different colours, especially on dominant chords. It depends on the soloist and how good one's ears are, and how well you know their playing, but often simple voicings are better for supporting the soloist.

Of course, you can put harmonically interesting stuff when the soloist isn't playing (which is a thing in itself - the soloist obviously needs to leave gaps for that to happen.)

So a good exercise is record a solo first and then comp with what you have played...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Hi Jamie,

!
    Me too. I just listened to some of his recent videos. He has really improved (particularly rhythmically and emotionally) over the last few years

Great job!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words. I am catching up to Christian!

User Info Menu

Wow, thanks, I wouldn't say that. :-)

User Info Menu

I just realised that sounded really bad haha.

You sound great Jamie, that's what I was trying to say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    I just realised that sounded really bad haha.

You sound great Jamie, that's what I was trying to say.
    hahaha that was a great morning chuckle
    White belt
    My Youtube