User Info Menu

Hi folks, I was at another jazz jam with my trumpet (strugglin a bit on this piece) and to top it off they pulled out "pennies from heaven" & yes the structure isn't that far removed from other tunes but I played cr*p and thought I really must sort this one out. so...I heard the Joe Pass\Zoot Sims version and wow ! something else. so I thought I'd best have a proper look at what Pass is doing before anything else so here ya go ! it's the first 2 choruses of Joe's accompaniment and solo. Enjoy and I hope you get as much out of this as I do . Jon

Attached Images Attached Images

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jonbo View Post
    Hi folks, I was at another jazz jam with my trumpet (strugglin a bit on this piece) and to top it off they pulled out "pennies from heaven" & yes the structure isn't that far removed from other tunes but I played cr*p and thought I really must sort this one out. so...I heard the Joe Pass\Zoot Sims version and wow ! something else. so I thought I'd best have a proper look at what Pass is doing before anything else so here ya go ! it's the first 2 choruses of Joe's accompaniment and solo. Enjoy and I hope you get as much out of this as I do . Jon

Great work.

It's a very fun tune. Just enough twists and turns to make it exciting, but familiar enough to blow on with little prep.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

User Info Menu

It's the same progression as I Cant Give You Anything But Love, just fancier turnarounds. But basically the same. It helped me on jam session when I asked whats harmony like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    It's the same progression as I Cant Give You Anything But Love, just fancier turnarounds. But basically the same. It helped me on jam session when I asked whats harmony like.
    Ah yes..I had a feeling it might have been that tune that was giving me an itch when looking at this one ! cheers for confirmation, there's some lovely reinhardt work on that ditty too out there !

User Info Menu

Stan Getz and Oscar Peterson did a real nice job on this song.