The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 226 to 232 of 232

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Today, there are no bands that exist where a young player can get some experience to better himself. And all of the clubs are gone. Where do you gain the experience as a young musician?

- Dizzy Gillespie, 1985

There’s some seriously fabulous content here:

I watch the Small's cam on youtube where they have a featured combo then a jam. Lot of 20 somethings playing at a high level. That's in NYC tho.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Caricature? In 1942, from bands to the Army, all of society was segregated. Right, segregation had zero influence on the creation of bebop. Denial much?
    That's not what I said. Read my post 218 until you comprehend it.

The caricature part of your post I was referring to was describing the inventors of Bebop as 'angry' which belies the subtlety and complexity of them and their music and is something of a cliché.

User Info Menu

A lot of info of all sorts on this thread.

I read somewhere that Parker started his self-education by learning "Honeysuckle Rose" in all keys. Anyone here ever do this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I watch the Small's cam on youtube where they have a featured combo then a jam. Lot of 20 somethings playing at a high level. That's in NYC tho.
    It looks like there is one MONTHLY jazz jam in the city of Chicago. I mean, compare that to every hotel bar having a little group where your teacher plays 6 days a week and they’ll let you come up. The opportunities just aren’t there. I’m 60 miles south from the city and this weekend someone is driving from Chicago to me so we can play jazz.

There is a space between deciding “I want to play jazz” and a Green Mill residency that I can’t seem to navigate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    It looks like there is one MONTHLY jazz jam in the city of Chicago. I mean, compare that to every hotel bar having a little group where your teacher plays 6 days a week and they’ll let you come up. The opportunities just aren’t there. I’m 60 miles south from the city and this weekend someone is driving from Chicago to me so we can play jazz.

There is a space between deciding “I want to play jazz” and a Green Mill residency that I can’t seem to navigate.
    Are any of these jam sessions still active? If so then you could hit one just about every night. That was a quick google search of open jazz jams in chicago. I would expect there to be more if you probe surrounding areas as well.

Jam sessions

User Info Menu

I’m not sure, I left the city but I wouldn’t be surprised that my Google attempt failed.

User Info Menu