Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Bill Evans Harmony-girl-pngBill Evans Harmony-girl-pngBill Evans Harmony-girl-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cluster voicing

User Info Menu

That killed me. Well done to both.
    Oh, hi - if interested, I post a lot of playing/practice clips at www.instagram.com/JakeEstner

User Info Menu

The woman in the painting was actually Satie's piano teacher...

User Info Menu

HA! Took me a second. I was like, wait... why's the picture cut off... where's the text... what am I missing.

And then when I spotted it, I literally heard a gentle, Bill-style, high-pitched cluster voicing in my mind.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    name that chord.
    Well, it appears that she's pushing down B, C, D, and E. It could be argued that the D and E keys are only halfway depressed and might not be ringing out, but we'll assume she simply has incredible control of her dynamics and is playing them but with a softer attack than the B and C. We'll also assume she's not playing any black keys simply because there's not enough evidence to argue one way or the other.

So B, C, D, E. What is the name of this chord?

Well as we all know from having spent extensive time on these forum pages, it all depends on the context, what the function is, and what the bass player and rest of the group is doing.

Let's simplify and ask ourselves what the bass player is doing and answer this question from that point. Since we don't know, we will have to analyze it from all 12 possible root notes.

C -- CMaj9
    C#/Db -- Db7#9(add Maj7)
    D -- D13(9)
    D#/Eb -- EbMaj13(b9,#5)
    E -- Emin7b13 or E7b13
    F -- FMaj13#11 or FminMaj13#11
    F#/Gb -- F#halfdim11b13
    G -- G13add4
    G#/Ab -- E7b13/G# or maybe Ab7b13#9 or Ab7#9#5
    A -- Amin11(9)
    A#/Bb -- Bb#11(9)addb9
    B -- Bmin11addb9

Is there any context inside the book on what tune she was using this in and what measure so we can gauge what the bass player's note would be and what the function and context of its use was?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons View Post
    Is there any context inside the book on what tune she was using this in and what measure so we can gauge what the bass player's note would be and what the function and context of its use was?
    Looks like a D or a D#, maybe....

Bill Evans Harmony-yup-jpg
    Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny. FZ

User Info Menu

name that chord.

Bill Evans Harmony-c0fdb2df-7344-4071-a9ba-c9b8d4082693-jpg
    A Demented?
    Build bridges, not walls.

User Info Menu

Back to the OP, BCDE with her right hand, but what is her left butt cheek playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    Back to the OP, BCDE with her right hand, but what is her left butt cheek playing?

Tough to hear but some kind of 'back-door harmony'.

User Info Menu

name that chord.

Bill Evans Harmony-c0fdb2df-7344-4071-a9ba-c9b8d4082693-jpg
    This is probably a backdoor progression too, given that the title of this painting by Dali is ‘Atmospheric Skull Sodomising a Grand Piano’.

Now that Dali's grand piano has had time to recover I'd like to add, incidentally that the original painting was the front cover of a copy of the novel The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford. Well worthwhile.

User Info Menu

Funny thing though, about piano and guitar.

If there was an earthquake and the piano sounded every note...you'd have nothing.

But if the earthquake shook every string on your guitar you'd be stuck in the middle of, "I Get A Kick Out Of You"
    If you can distinguish between rehearsing and practicing...you're better than half way there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    My jaw?