The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 57

User Info Menu

Hello everyone! I was just starting on Mickey Bakers first book, when i noticed something odd. chord number 9 on page two. How can that be a A13b9?

It shows the notes: A-F#-C-F
    it doesnt have either a major 3rd or any kind of seventh? It rather looks like and am6/b5 or something..

Is the book wrong?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From Mike Joyce's wonderful site...

Lesson 1

"Chord Form 9: This form, an A13b9, looks very much like a common diminished 7th chord. The root of the chord is always one fret lower than the note on the 6th string. By playing a 1/2 barre with the 1st finger, the chord can "move" to a 7b9 (in this particular example, an A7b9) just by lifting the fourth finger (which, by the way, turns the form into Mickey's Chord Form 26.) If we move the note on the 6th string one fret lower, our chord is a 13th. As you can see, this form is very useful. An interesting variation is by moving the note on the 6th string to the 1st string."

User Info Menu

[CHORD]

||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|-F-|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|-C-|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---| F#|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
    ||---|---|---|---|-A-|---|---|---|---|---|---|

[/CHORD]

If this is what it looks like in the book then it's Ab 13b9.

The A is really B double flat (b9 of Ab) The F# is really Gb. This chord could also be D7#9/A or an F# dim(ma7)/A.

Other less common usages could be as either an F dim2/A or A B7#9 #11/A depending on how it resolves.

User Info Menu

The root of the chord is always one fret lower than the note on the 6th string.

The note on the 6th is A#

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler

Confusing, in the first post OP didn't list A# as one of the notes of the chord.
    Last edited by fep; 12-22-2009 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler

Then , based soley on the notes presented by the OP you get this:

Bb Gb C F , which is not a 13b9 form

The notes that appear in the OP are A F# (Gb) C F. These notes are part of an Ab13 b9 chord which is supported by your statement above. A 1/2 step below A is Ab

User Info Menu

It's the same shape as your diagram John but one fret higher.

A13b9

---------------------
    -----7--------------
    -----6---------------
    -----5---------------
    ----------------------
    -----6-----------------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeppelavsen
    Hello everyone! I was just starting on Mickey Bakers first book, when i noticed something odd. chord number 9 on page two. How can that be a A13b9?

it doesnt have either a major 3rd or any kind of seventh? It rather looks like and am6/b5 or something..

Is the book wrong?
    I think you are counting wrong. In my book it says:
    --x--
    --7--
    --6--
    --5--
    --x--
    --6--

That is Bb-G-C#-F#

An A13b9 should have (A)-C#-(E)-G-Bb-F#... root and 5th in () because they are not nessecary. So A13b9 it is!

User Info Menu

I have Mickey Baker's book I and the only thing I noticed about chord #9
    is that it has the note on the 6th string at the 6th fret which of course is
    Bb which is the b9 of A. Mickey is CORRECT!

Identifying the other notes shown and comparing them to the scale of A
    proves this.

The Earl of Soco

User Info Menu

just noticed your post...You and I agree with Mickey Baker

The Earl of Soco

User Info Menu

I love the Mickey Baker book it's how I learned my first simple jazz progresions. I couldn't go advanced with it cause I don't hear it and if
    I can't haer it I can't play it. I would like a simple arrangment to the
    Christmas song by Mel Torme it anyone has one!

User Info Menu

don't know anything about Baker books, but lots of fake books have chords that don't work very well.

User Info Menu

If you learn your scales and chord formulas...then you can tell which ones
    work well (even if you don't trust your ears.

The Earl of Soco

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Earl
    If you learn your scales and chord formulas...then you can tell which ones
    work well (even if you don't trust your ears.

The Earl of Soco
    Yes the basic 1 4 5 progression is the base jazz chords color this basic
    formula but it's always 1 4 5 with two minor chords in the scale,

User Info Menu

First, we have the diatonic scale of C (do,re,mi,fa,so,la,ti,do) This is the
    ONLY scale which has no #'s or b's. From C to D is a whole step: from D to E is a whole step; from E to F is a HALF step; from F to G is a whole step; from G to A is a whole step; from A to B is a whole step; from B to
    C is a HALF step.

When starting on any other note, it cannot be a diatonic scale unless the
    above (whole step-HALF step)relationship is maintained This is how you
    arrive at all the keys of music.
    Let's number the scale 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 (all the numbers used to define chords. 9-13 would be D E F G A in the key of C)
    Example: 1 3 5 b7 would be C E G Bb or C7
    scale of A = A B C# D E F# G# so a b9 would be Bb (or A#) which was
    the note in question on Mickey Baker's fret diagram.
    HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! The Earl of Soco

Is the book wrong?
    The Bb is the root on the 6th string.

I like to think of that page as Baker trying to turn you on to different ways of spelling common chords, and working with inversions.

The spelling for that one is b9, b7, 3, 13

For best results I would write out the diagrams again on an a4 page and work out the spelling for each one. It becomes a useful exercise then, and not just time spent memorising how to 'grab' new chords.

I think too there is much in Baker's direction, "take as much time with this exercise as you need too..."
    I found that you could safely devote 2 weeks to each lesson and still be getting stuff from them!
    Don't be frightened too early - the later lessons ease you into the use of the different types of chords on that page.

NL

User Info Menu

This thread is making me retarded.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NeillonGuitar
    The Bb is the root on the 6th string.
    It is a A13b9, so the Bb is not the root. In fact it is a rootless chord.

User Info Menu

Is the book wrong?
    If your book says it is an A13b9, and the notes given are A, F#, C, F, it is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gersdal
    It is a A13b9, so the Bb is not the root. In fact it is a rootless chord.
    Oops, my bad.

Just trying to ease the approach velocity for the OP.

NL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    If your book says it is an A13b9, and the notes given are A, F#, C, F, it is wrong, wrong, wrong.
    This is not very helpfull any longer. The book is correct, but some readers are sloppy and are reading this chord as if the root is on the 6th string and automatically correct the written chord accordingly. It is not. It is a rootless chord with the b9 on the 6th string.

The book says:
    --x--
    --7--
    --6--
    --5--
    --x--
    --6--

That is Bb-G-C#-F#

An A13b9 should have (A)-C#-(E)-G-Bb-F#... root and 5th in () because they are not nessecary. So A13b9 it is!
    Last edited by gersdal; 01-03-2010 at 05:52 AM.

User Info Menu

HOORAY!!!!!
    only 17 posts required to clear that up!

User Info Menu

I'm actually having trouble with chord number 6, which is a D13b5b9. My problem is that it just doesn't sound very good in the context of the chord progressions given in the next few exercises. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong and checked and checked again if i got the fingering right, and I'm pretty sure I'm playing the right notes. But it just doesn't sound right
    Does anyone else have this??

I'm still pretty new to jazz (and the guitar in general) but I used a book from the library a couple of months ago that got me started on some standard chord voicings for II V I progressions and it just sounded so much better than Mickey Baker's progressions.

I'm a bit at a loss and it's really taking the fun out of learning all of the progressions.

Any advice?

-- ocnote

User Info Menu

You're not the only one. I thought the same thing when I first encountered that chord. I kept counting frets to make sure I was playing it correctly. I kept at it, though, and I can now wrap my head around the sound.

I set Mickey's book aside for a while and I'm following another methodology that uses simpler chords forms to start: Chords & Progressions for Jazz & Popular Guitar (Berle) and Patterns, Scales and Modes for Jazz Guitar (Berle). I'm also enrolled in the Jimmy Bruno Guitar Institute, and I find that these books are very complementary to Bruno's method (it's actually uncanny how much overlap there is).

-David
    Last edited by dwdougherty; 03-17-2010 at 10:48 AM.

User Info Menu

When I started with the first page of chords I was excited to get a few jazz chord progressions down quickly. i was fasinated with the G13b5b9 chord. I don't know exactly were to use it except as an ending chord and it works for me. I think the Baker book is ok to get started and train your ear to 9th chords etc. What book from Library did you get that was better?? Like to know.