The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 57 of 57

User Info Menu

yea... it's an old book, I when through all of them as kid. They're all dated and are really now just a step in the process of learning how to become aware of the fretboard and possible fingering. And the development of your fingerings on the fretboard.

The chords are just simple Chord Patterns that we as jazz guitarist need to be aware of.

The example is ways to play a I VI II V

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I see, No. 13 is A G C D, could be C6/9 Dm11 D7sus4 D9sus4 F6/9 G9sus4 Am11 C6/9/E or C6/9/G.
    In the final analysis, one should consider the context when naming a chord. How and why the chord is used within the entire progression is the best way to name a chord. If the chord symbol conveys the intent, then its valid enough, but chord symbols are really but a short-cut (or a crutch) for non-readers. Like tablature. Tab is good for guitar because of the many locations in which a piece can be played on the fretboard. Chord symbols are good because they are quick. But they are inaccurate. .

A chord should be described in full. For example, for the played chord AxGCDx:

Finding C6/9 on a chord chart would not tell us that the M3rd is omitted and that its in third inversion.
    Dm11 is correct, but we should be informed that it is in second inversion with the m3rd omitted.
    D7sus4 is correct also, but we should be informed that its in second inversion.
    D9sus4 adds a 9th that isn't there, in AxGCDx.
    F6/9 should also tell us that it is a rootless chord, NR, in first inversion.
    G9sus4 fails to inform us that the 7b guide tone has been left out and its in fourth inversion.
    Am11 nails it. The omitted 5th is inconsequential AxGCDx.
    C6/9/E as a symbol is misleading because there is no E in AxGCDx .
    C6/9/G states that G is in the bass, however, it is A that is in the bass AxGCDx.

Some of the above stated chord symbols may be derived by substitution, but they would be misleading in the context of a chord chart. It's a case of where one must be careful about what they don't state. A chord symbol is only a photograph of an instant in music. One frame of a film does not describe the movie.

Chord symbols are useful and may summarise the measure, like an average, but the true representation of a chord is made evident by its musical notation. The chord stack on the staff provides the most scientific way to depict moving harmony. You can then instantly see the chromatic alterations by the accidentals, the note in the bass and the note on top of the stack. Inversions and omissions are conveyed exactly. Not every note in the chord is played in the same instant...

Chord charts, as they are used today, are really only a poor man's remedy for not being able to read musical notation.

The current state of chord symbols on charts is not a shining example of communication. The guitarist reacts to this by commonly extending, altering, substituting or inverting the chord at will. This makes for a lot of fun when performing jazz, but is not a complete basis for describing or defining a musical chord. Voice leading in position is not represented in gross chord symbols. Chord symbols are good for beginners to learn their grips, but should not be written based solely on the four notes played together on beat 3. Chord symbols average out a measure, but musical notation provides the rest of the story.

When someone asks you, "What chord is this?" you should ask them for the written music. Otherwise, confusion reigns (rains)...

Costello: Who's on first...
    Abbot: I don't know.
    Costello: NO! I Don't Know's on third...
    Abbot: What?
    Costello: No! What's on second...
    Abbott: ...............I don't give a damn!
    Costello: Oh, he's the short-stop!

::
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 02-13-2023 at 03:28 PM.

User Info Menu

You are right, and for the same reasons I was careful to write "could be" specifically from the perspective that the AGCD's circled numeral reference in the graphic, its position on the neck, and whether it was misnamed might still be in question (and generally from the perspective of actual utilization as a possible subset of other chords containing additional pitches). Glad you are feeling better.

User Info Menu

Yea... I would disagree with opinions of chord symbols... And I sight read well. They are a very functional way to create charts for jazz players.

When playing jazz... they are short hand for what's implied. Which are chord patterns and we as jazz players should be aware of what's implied... or at least the possibilities of what's implied and what to actually play. If your just playing single simple chords....as the chord symbols might be... you might not be seeing or hearing or reading what's implied. The understanding of what's implied by... chord symbols.

String Navigator... yea, spell out what you want when that's the style or gig. Shows, musicals etc... but even with BB's typically that's still just the basic arrangement... and I use to still spell out on the parts...unless you can play something better for rhythm section parts and most pros would play... something better. That's part of our job as jazz players working in a rhythm section. Being able to recognize what's implied and play what's needed for the gig the players , setting etc...

The Micky Baker books... there were 2 or 3 ... can't remember, but they were for beginners.... to help guitarist start to learn how the fretboard can work and being able to play different voicings of standard chords from the time.... and in simple Chord Pattern contexts. It's not really what a guitarist would actually play... But beginners need to start somewhere... right.

In your example... personally what needs to be implied is F or F#... whether the chord is a tonal target or has function or part of a Chord Pattern. Obviously many options. But that's part of understanding how to comp in jazz style as well as being aware of what's implied harmonically.

Again... Bakers book isn't designed for more that what it is... a great beginning book to get stated with playing in a jazz style.

User Info Menu

I can remember my Uncle Tex once having a heated argument with someone about B#... It made as much sense as two drunks arguing over a Chicago street address on a New York map. Sometimes, I imagine that chat-boards often sound like this...

The Naughty Nineties | Who’s on First? — Abbott and Costello - YouTube

::

User Info Menu

Mickey Baker book wrong chord?-dwtsb-jpg

Which side of the argument was he?

User Info Menu

I was just a lad at the time, but it was a heated exchange.
    If you really want to know, I can send you his phone number and you can ask him.