Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Does anyone have the chords to this old standard ? I spent ages searching for the sheet music and chords on Yahoo and You Tube, to no avail.
    I was diverted many times to red herrings. I recently heard the vocal by Sarah Vaughan and a tenor Sax version by Don Byas and would love to
    learn , but need a framework from which to begin.
    Thanks in advance for any and all assistance that may be provided.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    Does anyone have the chords to this old standard ? I spent ages searching for the sheet music and chords on Yahoo and You Tube, to no avail.
    I was diverted many times to red herrings. I recently heard the vocal by Sarah Vaughan and a tenor Sax version by Don Byas and would love to
    learn , but need a framework from which to begin.
    Thanks in advance for any and all assistance that may be provided.
    I'm pretty sure that's in the 557 standards fake book PDF floating around everywhere.

    Nice tune

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    The Byas version is so great...I think a lot of folks put too many chords in this one...

    Here's roughly how I learned it (from the Byas version)

    A7 | Dm7 F7 | Bbmaj | Am7b5 D7b9 (bass walks A G F#)|
    Gm7 C7 | Am7b5 D7b9 |1) G7 | Db9 C9 |....|2. G7 C7 | Fmaj |

    and the B section

    | Fmaj C+ | Cm7 F7 | Bbmaj | Eb7 |
    Fmaj Dm7 | Am7 Dm7 | G7 | C7 |

    back to the A, second ending...

    Any of the majors can be a 6, or even a maj7 I guess.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    IReal has this.

    "Old Folks" by Willard Robison-21eb02d7-2e19-4b4d-87af-d41163b6a70c-jpg

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    love byas...what tone!! prob my fave tenor of that era..him and lester..whew

    here's killer guitar version-

    (for the doug raney fans)




    cheers

    ps- another great "guitar" version (no u-tube found) is by george shearing trio...with nhop and guitarist louis stewart...500 miles high album

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Great version by Kenny Burrell - you can basically copy the whole first chorus to make a nice solo arrangement (I did!)


  8. #7
    Thanks for the help !

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The Byas version is so great...I think a lot of folks put too many chords in this one...

    Here's roughly how I learned it (from the Byas version)

    A7 | Dm7 F7 | Bbmaj | Am7b5 D7b9 (bass walks A G F#)|
    Gm7 C7 | Am7b5 D7b9 |1) G7 | Db9 C9 |....|2. G7 C7 | Fmaj |

    and the B section

    | Fmaj C+ | Cm7 F7 | Bbmaj | Eb7 |
    Fmaj Dm7 | Am7 Dm7 | G7 | C7 |

    back to the A, second ending...

    Any of the majors can be a 6, or even a maj7 I guess.
    Many thanks, Mr. Beaumont , now I can begin ! Incidentally, Don Byas does equally nice work on, "Laura" and "April in Paris," among others !

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    IReal has this.

    "Old Folks" by Willard Robison-21eb02d7-2e19-4b4d-87af-d41163b6a70c-jpg
    Thank you, Grahambop , I shall give it a go !

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    Thanks for the help !
    By way of a big thank you to all members, especially ,Matt, Mr. Beaumont and Grahambop , here's Etta Jones', "Old Folks,"
    with Kenny Burrell and Bucky Pizzarelli weaving their magic in support


  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for bringing up this tune!

    Another one I can't believe I never learned. Just stole a bunch of stuff off the other Kenny Burrell version...I think I like it in Eb better than F, too.

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Here guitar player in Florida, steal anything and everything, this is in Kenny's key though...

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Here guitar player in Florida, steal anything and everything, this is in Kenny's key though...

    smooooth...

    cheers

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    This is from the 557 book, as it appears, pasted from two pages.

    "Old Folks" by Willard Robison-4-jpg

  16. #15
    Hi Ragman 1,
    Many thanks for the invaluable help. with this, Kenny B's version and others, I'll try and extract bits and pieces from all of them and hope to
    achieve a decent arrangement.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    The best version of this I've heard of this song is by Jack Teagarden, a very under-rated jazz singer.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu


  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This is from the 557 book, as it appears, pasted from two pages.

    "Old Folks" by Willard Robison-4-jpg
    Just learning this - always loved this beautiful ballad. The G7 in bar 4 doesn't sound right - I'd rather go with a G-7b5....

  20. #19
    Mission accomplished ! I've completed an arrangement of, "Old Folks," finally , with the invaluable help of many members - it's part Kenny Burrell , part Mr. Beaumont
    and some odds and ends of my own. I began to feel quite proud until I stumbled upon a version by the master !