The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hello,
    does anyone recognize the chord progression played on the Ibanez Artcore demo for the K&K Definity System?
    http://www.kksound.com/mp3/definity_artcore.mp3
    Definity System | K&K Sound
    It says that's a Joe Pass chord progression, I'd like to find a book with a transcription (or maybe some explanation) for this one and other similar progressions.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You could try the Lessons section here on JP progressions. No. 2 looks likely.

Joe Pass Chords - Essential Lines And Concepts

User Info Menu

I'm not sure there's any way to know whether that's a specific Joe Pass chord progression or not.

It certainly could be - I've heard him play hundreds of different chord progressions and variations on them over the years.

Regards,
    Steven Herron

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whitefang
    It says that's a Joe Pass chord progression,

That is not Joe Pass its his mom playing, and its not a Joe Pass progression

No its Charlie Parker -- Blues For Alice type changes, basically Jazz blues,
    listen to Ray Bryant Blues Changes with his trio and M Davis
    on his Trio he takes it to the limit total chromatic blues & some Tritones to spice up.

User Info Menu

Oh, well, if it's the Parker blues (aka 'Bird blues') look no further:

Jazz Blues Chord Progressions - Shapes & Comping Examples

(The OP's recording isn't the Bird blues but never mind)

User Info Menu

It's not all "Bird blues", after 12 bars, it goes into a few 8 bar phrases (maybe "A Beautiful Friendship" ? ) and then meanders into a couple of turnarounds. I don't know if there's anything specifically "Joe Pass" about the piece..."

PK

User Info Menu

Does it actually matter whether it's 'Joe Pass' or not? It's just a chord progression. There are lots of them :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Does it actually matter whether it's 'Joe Pass' or not? It's just a chord progression. There are lots of them :-)
    Yeah, but I liked this one in particular. I asked about Joe Pass because they wrote it was a JP chord progression, so I was hoping to find a transcription in a JP book...

User Info Menu

I hear you, but I don't think it matters. It's a chord progression. You might be fixated on the idea that it's unique to Joe Pass. That's totally unlikely. Joe just played tunes like everyone else. It's non-specific.

Still, you might not rest till you find out so what can I say? :-)

User Info Menu

Actually, having listened to it again, I don't think it has much to do with Joe Pass. It's not complicated enough. It's too simple. Joe would have put many more twiddles and substitutions into it. And it's definitely not him playing it on any of those clips.

I think whoever said 'It's Joe Pass' was misleading folks. It might be based on some chords he played - again I stress non-specific - but it's not how he would have played it. I'm quite sure of that.

If you want the real Joe Pass, look at the many YouTube transcriptions and performances that exist. You'll soon get the idea.

I was just hoping to find a transcription, regardless of the author. I liked this progression and I wanted to practice on it because it seems simple, but ATM i don't think I can play it by ear.
    I'm new to jazz guitar (but not to fingerstyle), any turnaround/progression/song that I find 'catchy' to my ear and 'simple' enough is good. So thanks for your suggestions

User Info Menu

Sorry to go on but it's not just a suggestion. It's not how he would have played it. That's why I don't think you'll find a Joe Pass transcription for that recording. Someone else did it. Really.

Don't get fixated! There are lots of Joe Pass lessons here and elsewhere. Go to the horse's mouth.
    Last edited by ragman1; 05-23-2019 at 10:55 AM.

User Info Menu

I'll see if I can do you a transcription myself. Wait a while :-)

It seems I can't explain myself, sorry. The focus is not on JP, you can remove him from the equation. I don't want to study JP at the moment, I wanted to begin with something simple.
    I was just talking about this progression, be it by Joe Pass, somebody who was passing by when they demo-ed the pickup, or anybody else.
    Thanks for your help, anyway.

User Info Menu

I'm glad we've got Joe Pass out the way.

Do you want the chords or not? I've already done it. You ask for help then you start resisting it!

User Info Menu

Well, I'm not going to let it go to waste. It's very simple, just a generic 8-bar progression. In its basic form it's

F - F7 - Bb - Bbm
    Am7 - D7 - Gm7 - C7

Which repeats. The end bit is

F/D7 - Gm7/C7 - F/D7 - Gm7/C7 - F.

Jazz-wise it's

FM7 (or F69 open) - F9 - BbM7 - Bbm6
    Am7 - D7#9/D7b9 - Gm7 - C7

The first go-round is all over the place and out of time and he puts in a few more twiddles and extra sub chords, like an F13b9. The other versions are played more simply, like D7 at the 3rd with the open E.

The last chord is an F69 at the 8th fret.

User Info Menu

Looks like the last bars of the A section of Rhythm Changes for the first part.

User Info Menu

Same old, same old

I'd still point the OP (if he's still interested) to this:

Jazz Blues Chord Progressions - Shapes & Comping Examples

There are lots of good progressions there with the right chord fingerings. Way to go.

The comping study for Blues in G is very good.

Thank you very much!

User Info Menu

yes, it starts out like the 12-bar Blues for Alice (Bird) in F, with the extra chains of 2/5 chords,

but then in goes to an 8 bar thing, similar ideas but different.

no it’s def Not Joe, but Joe played all the chords progressions & bass runs...

So a good close call on the OP.

cheers, JT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, I'm not going to let it go to waste. It's very simple, just a generic 8-bar progression. In its basic form it's

F - F7 - Bb - Bbm
    Am7 - D7 - Gm7 - C7

Which repeats. The end bit is

F/D7 - Gm7/C7 - F/D7 - Gm7/C7 - F.

Jazz-wise it's

FM7 (or F69 open) - F9 - BbM7 - Bbm6
    Am7 - D7#9/D7b9 - Gm7 - C7

The first go-round is all over the place and out of time and he puts in a few more twiddles and extra sub chords, like an F13b9. The other versions are played more simply, like D7 at the 3rd with the open E.

The last chord is an F69 at the 8th fret.
    hi Rag , what does the / mean ?
    (to me they mean 'over')

User Info Menu

Two chords to one bar.

A chord is usually 'over' a single note, not another chord name. So I'd write 'B major triad over bass C' as B/C .

It's partly my fault because the standard way of writing out bars is with vertical lines, as

| C Am | Dm7 G7 |

But I find it tiresome :-)