The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I'm looking for chords/sheet music of Think of One. Can't find it. And the paid version is not available her due to country restrictions. Thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well here’s the chords from iReal, no idea how accurate these are.

Monk - Think of One-34b6fd09-2aff-4265-9ee4-1f413cb52810-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Well here’s the chords from iReal, no idea how accurate these are.
    Yep those are the chords.

User Info Menu

Oh and the sheet music goes like this: "F and C and sometimes Eb. There's a B."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Oh and the sheet music goes like this: "F and C and sometimes Eb. There's a B."
    Can we post pics of leadsheets or does that get the site into copyright problems?

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot! The chords seem fine to me I guess I'll be able to learn the theme by ear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Can we post pics of leadsheets or does that get the site into copyright problems?
    I think it will cause copyright issues, not a good idea.

User Info Menu

Such a shame you can't just share a picture of the goddamn tune. What's the harm?

Say I scribed it out in one of those notation programs and posted it here. Is that allowed? Or is it just posting one of those Real Book images?

Or is it any representation of the melody at all?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Such a shame you can't just share a picture of the goddamn tune. What's the harm?

Say I scribed it out in one of those notation programs and posted it here. Is that allowed? Or is it just posting one of those Real Book images?

Or is it any representation of the melody at all?
    The OP says he can work it out himself, which is probably the best way. Others can go to the library or pay a few dollars for a paper or digital copy of Steve Cardenas' excellent Thelonious Monk Fake Book (Hal Leonard), where they will find the tune at page 71. There are also what appear to be reasonably accurate versions in two older manuscript Monk fake books that have been circulating on the web for years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jpb
    I'm looking for chords/sheet music of Think of One. Can't find it. And the paid version is not available her due to country restrictions. Thanks in advance!
    LEAD SHEET
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lI1Fixq021...ThinkOfOne.png
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 05-15-2019 at 12:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    The OP says he can work it out himself
    I know, I read it too.

My post had nothing to do with the OP, it was about to what extent public representation of a melody is permissible.

User Info Menu

Many jazz books contain leadsheets with no melody using the exact same chord sequence of well known tunes, just labelled a bit differently but not too far. There is even a web page enumerating the correspondance between some real tunes and how they are named in jazz books

STANDARD

publisher's lawyers likely checked that publishing a chord sequence is OK, as long as there is no notated melody associated with it ...

User Info Menu

Thanks CG! And I think I'll buy a copy of Steve Cardenas' Thelonious Monk Fake Book. Thanks for the link pcjazz! I' do not know too much about copyright to make a sensible contribution to the -interesting- discussion.
    IMO all Monk's music should be on the UNESCO list of cultural heritage and freely avaivailable to everyone