Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 6 of 6

Joe Satriani no Chords and the Joe Pass Chord Book

This is a great interview I found on Guitar World (at the bottom of the article)

https://www.ultimedia.com/api/meta/minifier/id/8q8qq5

And here’s the good play ebook version of the Joe Pass Chord Book:

Joe Pass Guitar Chords - Joe Pass - Google Books
    Redeemed, Husband, Father, Veteran. Thankful for all four!

I play a customized Godin 5th Avenue, Córdoba GK Studio, and a Gibson L6-S. I also play a Kala uBass on occasion

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

That is a great interview. Joe is super nice and very humble. A friend of mine worked on Joe's "The Extremist" LP and he goes to all of the shows whenever Joe is in town. I was able to go and meet him after an couple of shows...once with Chickenfoot and once after a solo show. Very cool guy!

For anybody who doesn't want to go on a scavenger hunt to find the interview or reference to the Joe Pass book - time is 8:57 where he talks about learning chords:

The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar; now that's my idea of a good time - Frank Zappa

One of the biggest problems I encounter with jazz guitar students is that they have learned a ton of chords, scales and arpeggios, but they can’t play a tune or jam on a standard with other musicians.
    Thanks, Matt

That's because "jazz" has become synonymous with "challenge" for a lot of young players, not with "music."

So you hear guys say stuff like "I want to learn some jazz so I can work it into my 8 string progressive metal playing" or whatever.

Jazz is just a different approach to tunes. It's a how, not a what. LEARN TUNES.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    That's because "jazz" has become synonymous with "challenge" for a lot of young players, not with "music."

So you hear guys say stuff like "I want to learn some jazz so I can work it into my 8 string progressive metal playing" or whatever.

Jazz is just a different approach to tunes. It's a how, not a what. LEARN TUNES.
    Yup. I like to show them the Abyss.

They usually shut up after that.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed