The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

I've been feeling in a rut a bit lately, need some fresh ideas. I'm talking about intros that would start a song in style.

What do ya got? Any style really. NOT nterested in rubato, only solid tempo-setters.

Heres example, brilliant intro by Vinny. Something like that Im looking for.

@Christian77- Im sure you got some to share?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very tasteful solo too)))

and cool skiffle style percussion)

User Info Menu

Barney Kessel with Julie London has a ton of classic intro/ending ideas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    Barney Kessel with Julie London has a ton of classic intro/ending ideas

PK
    Agreed. I think that's the gold standard.

User Info Menu

Ron Eschete did a book on Intros & Endings.

Jazz Intros and Endings eBook+Online Audio - Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

One valuable lesson from that book is that one can take a basic idea and resolve it several different ways.

And just for the hell of it, a medley of piano intros!

User Info Menu

Whatever gets you to the V...

I'm a big fan of the "last 4 bars of the tune" trick, but like anything, it can be overdone...

User Info Menu

campusfive
    - YouTube

cop some shit from this guy maybe?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    campusfive
    - YouTube

cop some shit from this guy maybe?
    Oh yeah, I did, I did!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Very tasteful solo too)))

and cool skiffle style percussion)
    Vinny is da man, one of my fav musicians on the scene, and very very nice person.

User Info Menu

Or you could go the Kurt Rosenwinkel route and just play whatever you feel like as an intro:

(Not to be dissing Kurt here. In my book, they don't get any better, and here he is playing one of my favorite tunes. I just had a hard time relating his intro to what follows. Maybe this doesn't qualify as what the OP characterized as starting a song "in style?")

User Info Menu

It sounded like some unrelated improvisation, with a transition to playing a Vsus in rhythm to get the band going. \

Some thoughts:

On a gig with a singer, I like "last 4 bars". It's easy, it works and it gives the singer a chance to find the key.

I like tunes/arrangements with a written intro. Think Chega De Saudade. Often, the outro is the same.

For groove based tunes, it often helps to vamp, to give the rhythm section a chance to settle in. This is more important in unrehearsed situations or with lesser skilled players. The vamps can be on ii V, or I only, or iii VI ii V (hackneyed) or I bII or I IV7#11 etc.

Four bar drum intro

Last 4 or 8 with the bassist walking into the tune. Sparse drums and no more than a chord per bar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Perdido
    Or you could go the Kurt Rosenwinkel route and just play whatever you feel like as an intro:

(Not to be dissing Kurt here. In my book, they don't get any better, and here he is playing one of my favorite tunes. I just had a hard time relating his intro to what follows. Maybe this doesn't qualify as what the OP characterized as starting a song "in style?")
    Yea... i dunno, sounds like noodling to me. I've never been a KR fan tbh, so maybe I'm biased... A good intro shouldn't be too long imo, or it loses the point.

User Info Menu

Here's another one of my fav, it translates very well to guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yea... i dunno, sounds like noodling to me. I've never been a KR fan tbh, so maybe I'm biased... A good intro shouldn't be too long imo, or it loses the point.
    Can't say I disagree with you there, and I am a KR fan.

User Info Menu

I like this one.
    First there's a solo intro and then a short, synching-with-the-band bit that I've heard a lot of people use, so it's a real good one to know.

User Info Menu

I've never been a huge fan of KR but thought his intro was just fine. I didn't hear any "noodling" and I certainly heard some nice chord work. Extended intros are not a new thing in jazz, and I didn't find this one overlong or indulgent.

It's the rest of the tune that may not be his bag, I dunno.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I like this one.
    First there's a solo intro and then a short, synching-with-the-band bit that I've heard a lot of people use, so it's a real good one to know.

Yea, starting from 1:22 is what I'm after! Nice one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    I've never been a huge fan of KR but thought his intro was just fine. I didn't hear any "noodling" and I certainly heard some nice chord work. Extended intros are not a new thing in jazz, and I didn't find this one overlong or indulgent.

It's the rest of the tune that may not be his bag, I dunno.
    If you like it, you like it, it's all cool. I'm kinda 'cut the crap, get to the point' kinda guy, so that's what I look for in music too. But it's just a personal preference.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you like something against pedal bass or ostinato riff... over domimnat..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Sounds like you like something against pedal bass or ostinato riff... over domimnat..
    I do. Right now I have about 10 intros, and not enough with pedal bass. I think they sound hip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I've been feeling in a rut a bit lately, need some fresh ideas. I'm talking about intros that would start a song in style.

What do ya got? Any style really. NOT nterested in rubato, only solid tempo-setters.

Heres example, brilliant intro by Vinny. Something like that Im looking for.

@Christian77- Im sure you got some to share?

Loved that band.

Intros with solid tempos are the best. Nothing against rubato players, but I live in the 20's and 30's when playing guitar. xD
    I'm always looking for inspiration. When I don't know what to do and don't want to go to the last 4 or last 8 I try something like a I - VI - II - V, well, in a lot of songs this is the last 4/8 bars, but when it's not I think that it gives a nice flow to it.

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola has a lesson called "10 Chord Melody Intros." This is number 2 (repeated several times.)

User Info Menu

The intro to "Route 66" by the Nat Cole Trio is great. You could use it for other tunes.

User Info Menu

Cool stuff, Mark, thanks!

User Info Menu

I love that Route 66 intro.