Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

M'lady, No offence taken

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    Ha! I can imagine it now,

Atty: "So in conclusion, you can add motion and interest to a harmonic progression using maj6th chords by 'borrowing' notes from the surrounding diminished chords."

Judge: "What did the six majors do?"

Atty: "No. Not 'six majors', 'Maj6'"

Judge: "I have no intention of diminishing the service of any Army officer."

Atty: "No. Not 'MAJORS', 'Maj6' chords. As in music. With all due respect, your honor, but we have been talking about music all day, not the military."

Judge: "Quite honestly I have no patience for you hippies and your music trying to diminish the military. I have no choice to rule against you and declare everyone must play John Phillip Sousa for the next 30 days."

Attn: "Thank you, your honor."
    Well that's why you need this fella:

User Info Menu

I was struck by the comment by Chris P. in his videos Things I've Learned From Barry Harris
    - YouTube
    when he didn't identify a chord built using a BH 6 dim scale and borrowed notes.

I haven't viewed all the vids so he may have touched on the subject in another one.

Since we have to put something on a chart (or write a short story) I thought I would investigate a bit and took the liberty of using Chris Whiteman's progression I-VI-ii-V sequence #1 with common soprano voice as a model.

Note the A7b9 (E dim) I see as borrowed from the D6 dim scale.

Barry Harris Borrowed Notes-c-69-borrow-tones-pngBarry Harris Borrowed Notes-edim-borrowed-tones-pngBarry Harris Borrowed Notes-dm11-borrowed-tones-pngBarry Harris Borrowed Notes-g-borrowed-tones-png
    Attached Images Attached Images Barry Harris Borrowed Notes-a7-borrowed-tones-png