The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 62

User Info Menu

I'm exploring substitutions for the IV chord in blues progression (5th bar) always return to the IV7 because I'm basically a Blues player and it sounds very natural to me...

So if you use other chords at this spot, maybe with another 'passing' chord in the 4th bar - what do you like using? and why?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can do a ii-V to the IV in the 4th bar, then a #iv dim or a iv minor in bar 6.. I always play a IV bar 5

User Info Menu

IVm is a good un

User Info Menu

Or bVII7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Or bVII7
    wouldn't barry say IVm and bVII7 are the same chord though?

*not trying to hijack thread

User Info Menu

I've always thought that the IV chord in bar 5 was one of the defining features of a 12 bar Blues. Is that incorrect? Are there any examples of a 12 bar Blues that doesn't go to the IV in bar 5?
    Last edited by Jack E Blue; 06-08-2018 at 11:53 PM.

User Info Menu

The only thing (so far) I can think of is backcycling, something like this:

C7 - F7 - C7 - % (or better, run down to the A7: C7/B7-Bb7)
    A7 - % - D7 - %
    G7 - % - C7 - G7

Break it up with ii's:

C7 - F7 - C7 - C7/B7-Bb7
    A7 - Em7/A7 - D7 - Am7/D7
    G7 - Dm7/G7 - C7 - G7

That's quite nice. It eventually resolves

Or maybe:

C7 - F7 - C7 - %
    F#7 - B7 - E7 - A7
    D7 - G7 - C7 - G7

Then maybe introduce ii's into that. Or sub with tritones, etc. Nothing ventured :-)

User Info Menu

It's seriously amazing how it works over almost anything. This is the same solo over the standard progression first:

C7 - F7 - C7 - Gm7/C7
    F7 - F#o - C7 - A7
    Dm7 - G7 - C7/A7 - Dm7/G7

Then over this idea which I took at random. There are chords in here which don't go at all with the ones above:

C7 - B7 - C7 - Db7/C7
    B7 - E7 - Bb7 - Eb7
    Ab7 - Db7 - C7 - G7 (C7)

It's a mystery.

Great suggestions, thank you. Probably should have said it in the OP... what I currently use is:
    1. tritone for the IV (B7 if playing on C).
    2. mVII7 (Bb7)
    3. mVIIsus2 (Bbsus2) has the 1st and 5th of the IV chord and it still sounds Bluesy
    4. IIm7 (Dm7) has all the notes of the IV so it's an obvious choice in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    I've always thought that the IV chord in bar 5 was one of the defining features of a 12 bar Blues. Is that incorrect? Are there any examples of a 12 bar Blues that doesn't go to the IV in bar 5?
    I also can't think of any significant examples. That's why I started the thread.

User Info Menu

A better approach could be to think of a blues... in a functional view.... I IV V are the three functions.
    Function is just how much the chord creates a perception of motion or sustain in relationship to a tonal center. Traditionally called,
    Tonic Subdominant and Dominant. So if your playing a blues in Bb.... Bb7 is the tonic, Eb7 is the subdominant and F7 is the Dominant.

Then you start using substitutions, chord patterns etc...

So the obvious sub would be II-7 and add the related V7 to help push back to I7

So bIII is a functional subdominant sub

Bb13 / Eb7 / Bb7 / Bb /
    Db7 / C-7 F7/ Bb7 / G7 /
    C-7.../ F7 / I VI / II V /

bVII7 can also be Functional SD sub.

There are 100's of possibilities.... just mechanically. Some take more setup.

There is the 1st layer of substitution, and then you can use sub of sub....

Bb7 / Eb7 / Bb7 / Bb7 /

Use bVII7 or Ab7 as sub for Eb7... Now you can sub for that Ab7.

Depending on how you want to frame that sub of the IV chord.... you have many choices, That Ab7 can become target of Chord Pattern, can be the related chord of a different chord pattern.

There are no real limits besides what skills you have....

I think when I was a kid.... I was taught to to come up with reasons, (organization) how any chord could be used as sub...
    Try using all roots (all 12) as sub for the IV chord and come up with organization that could make it work... sound right.

So the question becomes how to use subs... not what are they.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg

I think when I was a kid.... I was taught to to come up with reasons, (organization) how any chord could be used as sub...
    Try using all roots (all 12) as sub for the IV chord and come up with organization that could make it work... sound right.

So the question becomes how to use subs... not what are they.
    What cool exercise, I’m gunna try this

User Info Menu

bIV dim is also "exciting" top my ears. Which chord suits best might be determined by the desired bass line. Dogmatic blues speaking I think the chord in bar 5 should be a IV. In a more poppy, jazzy or rocky context deviations are widely accepted. So it also depends on what you want to express. The structural simplicity of "classic" blues is TME (to my ears) part of the beauty and leaves more room for the story which is told by the singer.

User Info Menu

Bar5 I sometimes might use Idim ...

User Info Menu

I also believe that the basic I7 IV7 , F7 to Bb7 is grease or dirt harmonically of all blues... but I also hear and understand that to be... Tonic to subdominant.... the V chord, (dominant), is just used to shape the Form, both micro and macro.

User Info Menu

Seems like in many blues, Bars 7 and 8 are the ones most ripe for substitutions. Playing bars 5 and 6 mostly straight sets it up.

User Info Menu

I think a lot of bop players like to play straight IV there, #ivo7 can be a bit fussy.

Contrary to some textbooks that sub was in use since the early 20s

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Also io7 in bar 2. Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

Verrry nice.

User Info Menu

Some blues do the quick change and go to the IV in the second bar. A nice way to change up that quick change iV is to replace it with a V aug sound. Very old school sound...

Duved uses it here along with the IV to IV minor sound:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    A better approach could be to think of a blues... in a functional view.... I IV V are the three functions. Function is just how much the chord creates a perception of motion or sustain in relationship to a tonal center. Traditionally called,Tonic Subdominant and Dominant. So if your playing a blues in Bb.... Bb7 is the tonic, Eb7 is the subdominant and F7 is the Dominant.Then you start using substitutions, chord patterns etc... So the obvious sub would be II-7 and add the related V7 to help push back to I7 So bIII is a functional subdominant subBb13 / Eb7 / Bb7 / Bb /Db7 / C-7 F7/ Bb7 / G7 /C-7.../ F7 / I VI / II V /bVII7 can also be Functional SD sub.There are 100's of possibilities.... just mechanically. Some take more setup.There is the 1st layer of substitution, and then you can use sub of sub....Bb7 / Eb7 / Bb7 / Bb7 /Use bVII7 or Ab7 as sub for Eb7... Now you can sub for that Ab7. Depending on how you want to frame that sub of the IV chord.... you have many choices, That Ab7 can become target of Chord Pattern, can be the related chord of a different chord pattern. There are no real limits besides what skills you have.... I think when I was a kid.... I was taught to to come up with reasons, (organization) how any chord could be used as sub...Try using all roots (all 12) as sub for the IV chord and come up with organization that could make it work... sound right.So the question becomes how to use subs... not what are they.
    I really like the mind expansion and composition aspects of this exercise.Would it be searching for a particular voicing Neopolitan Sixth Chord first inversion would be one for the #I root ...OR would you also use chord pairs to make some of them work like an interpolated V of the Sub Root Chord or Interpolate IV minor or of the New Sub....or is the idea to voice it and extend the 12 roots so they stand alone as the Sub for the IV just coming directly from the I ...?

To the OP -a Ray Charles Sub for IV is III Major then to the IV - you can Google some of the Michael Brecker on the End of Saturday Night Live [ Saturday Night Theme has this Sub ]....and Brecker used to play some extremely Bluesy lines...it is fun to just go crazy on that change ...on Guitar too...

I don't think this is Brecker but you hear the III Chord [ Major ] before the IV and more than just a passing chord ]...

Last edited by Robertkoa; 08-17-2018 at 09:55 AM.

User Info Menu

I use some mild sounding 12 Bar Blues subs for measures 5 and 6, but I'm more into a vintage New Orleans jazz sound:

Regular Changes: 47-47

Chromatic Diminished Subs:
    47-4#o7
    4#o7-4#o7
    47-4#o7/6o7
    47-6o7/4#o7
    6o7-6o7
    47-1o7
    1o7-1o7
    47-6o7
    47-3bo7
    3bo7-3bo7

Sub(In the key of C: Cm6=F9NR=Am7-5):
    1m6-1m6
    6m7-5 to 6o7

Tritone Sub: 47-77 or 77-77

Back-Door Changes:
    4M7-4m7
    4M7-4m7/7b7
    4M7-4m6
    4M7-7b7
    4M7-7b13

Inversions:
    47-413/7b [x7b3131x]
    47-49/3 [x37b95x]
    47/3-47/3 [3x157bx]

Railroad Bill: 37-47

Stormy Weather Sub for bars 7 and 8:
    1M7/2m7-3m7/3bm7

Ain't it like chess... Memorise the moves, encapsulate them with a name, and then mix and match as you play by thinking three chords at a time under a name such as Back-Door instead of plodding along one chord at a time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa

I don't think this is Brecker but ...
    That's Lenny Pickett, isn't it?

User Info Menu

As this has come up again I've concocted this. It works, but it's a devil to solo over... convincingly, that is.

G7 - Cm7/F7 - Bb7 - Eb7
    Ab7 - Abm7/Db7 - Gb7/F7 - E7
    Am7 - D7 - G7/Bb7 - A7/Ab7 - (G7)

Anyone like to try it?

(I don't think it suits my style. Probably needs a bit of bebop and a good tune).