The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Does anyone know who actually played the rhythm part behind the whistling on the Andy Griffith Show theme song? I've found lots of info on who wrote it, etc., but who played it? I did find a reference that said Howard Roberts did some some sideman work for the show but nothing about whether he did the theme.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's a fun tune!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    Does anyone know who actually played the rhythm part behind the whistling on the Andy Griffith Show theme song? I've found lots of info on who wrote it, etc., but who played it? I did find a reference that said Howard Roberts did some some sideman work for the show but nothing about whether he did the theme.
    Some truly rocking rhythm guitar on that!

User Info Menu

Would of been someone from the Wrecking Crew since it was a Union gig to record a TV show. Only way to find out is see the Musicians Union contract that listed who was on the session, but records that far back are probably gone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Would of been someone from the Wrecking Crew since it was a Union gig to record a TV show. Only way to find out is see the Musicians Union contract that listed who was on the session, but records that far back are probably gone.
    Would have only been the Wrecking Crew if it was recorded in Hollywood. There were Nashville and Muscle Shoals, AL studio "crews" as well. I have no idea where they actually recorded it. The story told by the composer makes it sound pretty ad hoc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Would have only been the Wrecking Crew if it was recorded in Hollywood. There were Nashville and Muscle Shoals, AL studio "crews" as well. I have no idea where they actually recorded it. The story told by the composer makes it sound pretty ad hoc.

The credit are Desilu Studios that is Culver City area of Los Angeles that is where I grew up. Earl Hagen lived and most his work was in L.A.. Nashville and Muscle Shoals weren't known for doing TV and film work most of that was done in L.A. or NYC.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    The credit are Desilu Studios that is Culver City area of Los Angeles that is where I grew up. Earl Hagen lived and most his work was in L.A.. Nashville and Muscle Shoals weren't known for doing TV and film work most of that was done in L.A. or NYC.
    Wow! Thanks for running that info down for us. I love the rhythm guitar in that theme song. Would be fun to know who it was.

User Info Menu

Wow! Thanks for running that info down for us. I love the rhythm guitar in that theme song. Would be fun to know who it was.

Finding that out might be mission impossible because most those probably involved are in their 80's or passed on. Then back in the 60's contracts as so on were paper and not all the stuff ever got transferred to computer. Plus the shows theme was probably just recorded as part of doing the music for a episode or two so they were still using thirty-forty pieces or more with strings and all so working fast was important. So need to find someone who remembers seeing the guitar player that day in that sea of musicians, mic's, gobo's, and etc.

User Info Menu

Word on the street says it was Barney Kessel strumming guitar for that theme song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Word on the street says it was Barney Kessel strumming guitar for that theme song.
    What does "word on the street" mean? I've also heard Howard Roberts.

User Info Menu

What does "word on the street" mean? I've also heard Howard Roberts.
    Google -Andy Griffith Show Theme Barney Kessel, and see if it gives you some clues. Barney was a longtime member of the Wrecking Crew.

User Info Menu

There were also two episodes "The Guitar Player" and "The Guitar Player Returns" that seem to have featured Howard Roberts' playing. btw, there seems to have been an actor named Herb Ellis on at least one of those episodes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Google -Andy Griffith Show Theme Barney Kessel, and see if it gives you some clues. Barney was a longtime member of the Wrecking Crew.
    Excellent! One source actually involves a conversation with Earl Hagen, the composer and whistler, so that for me pretty much clinches it. THANKS for the heads-up!

User Info Menu

I think that it was Otis.

User Info Menu

Somewhere I read it was Herb Ellis but I dont recall the source of that statement. Its a great little tune and nice chord work !

User Info Menu

Excellent! One source actually involves a conversation with Earl Hagen, the composer and whistler, so that for me pretty much clinches it. THANKS for the heads-up!

I recently read a biography of "Andy and Don" (Andy Griffith and Don Knotts) that mentioned the theme song. Earl Hagen said he hadn't whisted before or since writing it. (I don't think it says he actually whistled on the recording---don't have the book handy to check.) But that the melody was whistled sure adds a lot to it.

User Info Menu

Anyone have a chord chart for the theme ? Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

"word on the street" definition: Okay so my neighbor's uncle's brother in law' s best friend plays guitar and his HVAC guy said the guy who cuts his grass said it was Barney......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcpicker47
    Anyone have a chord chart for the theme ? Thanks in advance.
    Just transcribed the tune. This is what I'm hearing, anyway. I'll try to attach the mp3 render from MuseScore, along with .jpg of the guitar part. If you say "Barney Kessel would never play cowboy chords like that" you may be right. Has Tommy Tedesco been ruled out as the guitar slinger on this track?

I wrote the whistle as a piccolo. Couldn't get the rolloff glissando from the bridge.
    Can post the whole score, if anybody wants...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Bil
    very cool ! Thanks for doing that, I will give it a whirl ! Thanks for all of your time and effort to post it as well !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcpicker47
    Bil
    very cool ! Thanks for doing that, I will give it a whirl ! Thanks for all of your time and effort to post it as well !
    No trouble at all. I enjoy transcribing. I saw this thread after dinner tonight, and probably spent the next hour and a half writing out the tune. Shouldn't take that long for something simple, but I'm slow.