The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
Posts 501 to 508 of 508

User Info Menu

Sorry if this was posted before but this short explanation if the clearest I've seen to date. I do have Roni's Chordability and need to revisit now that I have a very basic understanding of the BH thing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I'm reviewing the "sisters and brothers" moves (Section 2.8). I think I'm having a senior moment, but I remember that in addition to cool moves up up a minor third from a Maj6 to a Min6 (as in G6 -> Bbmin6) there were moves for going from Maj6 up a minor third to a MAJ6 (as in G6 -> Bb6). Now I don't see it, or I'm not understanding it. All the examples seem to be for C6 -> Ebmin6. No C6 -> Eb6.

I know there is a section for going up a MAJOR third (Section 2.7) as in F6 to A6. But I've read through Chapter 2 a couple of times and I can't see an example of moving to your MAJOR flavored sister. This is a very common harmonic move, as far as I can tell.

Did I see it in the Howard Rees material, dream it out of whole cloth, or is it there and I'm too tired to see it?

User Info Menu

I learned it from this

Not what I was remembering, but I enjoyed those videos immensely. Thanks!

User Info Menu

no prob! This is how I approach going from major up minor thirds:

CMaj Dmin E min Fmin (this is the beautiful pivot chord, it’s the iv of C and the ii of Eb) Ebmaj and so on

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758

CMaj Dmin E min Fmin (this is the beautiful pivot chord, it’s the iv of C and the ii of Eb) Ebmaj and so on
    ...mind blown!

User Info Menu

I'm not into BH, but I do "chord noodling" from time to time. Starting from C, pretty soon I'll hit Fmin. Guess I have it in my ears as a part of 8 bar blues ...

User Info Menu

Seven steps to heaven