The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I am new to this forum since so many google searches on archtop guitar related questions ended up being answered here! I am a younger hobbyist musician who is mostly a lap steel player. I would like to make a better study of the rhythm guitar techniques used prior to drums in Western swing, Hawaiian, and jazz groups in the 1930s thru the1950s.

I have found some drips and drabs of useful information but I haven't found a good resource or book to tie it all together. Any help such as webpages, YouTube links, or book recommendations would be appreciated. For what it's worth, my guitar for this work will be a Washburn J10 once it gets here.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Whit Smith's "Chordination" DVDs are awesome, and exactly what you are looking for. Whit plays guitar in Hot Club of Cowtown, and really does an excellent job. I learn a little something new every time I go back to them, they are really fantastic and even really advanced players will get a lot out of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    Whit Smith's "Chordination" DVDs are awesome, and exactly what you are looking for. Whit plays guitar in Hot Club of Cowtown, and really does an excellent job. I learn a little something new every time I go back to them, they are really fantastic and even really advanced players will get a lot out of them.
    Yep! Here's a cool primer from Whit:

You may also want to check out Swing and Big Band Comping by Charlton Johnson. Not western swing specific, but a nice overview of those rhythm chord inversions.
    Amazon.com: Swing and Big Band Guitar: Four-To-The Bar Comping in the Style of Freddie Green (0073999951479): Charlton Johnson: Books

User Info Menu

There's some good info. here:

A Comparative Study of Rhythm Guitar Styles

User Info Menu

listen to the great eldon shamblin..he was sort of the freddie green of the western swing crowd..strictly rhythm...aahh haaa

Western Swing style rhythm comping-music-5-1-png

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    listen to the great eldon shamblin..he was sort of the freddie green of the western swing crowd..strictly rhythm...aahh haaa

Western Swing style rhythm comping-music-5-1-png

cheers
    ELDON! The last thing I have that he is playing on is "Back To Back" with Tiny Moore and Jethro Burns. He played all of the rhythm guitar tracks Ray Brown played all the Bass tracks. It was recorded what some call "Old School," where they actually sat and played together; AMAZING!

User Info Menu

It seems I post this once a month or so, but dang it, it's always relevant!

Eldon Shamblin and Herb Ellis together.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    It seems I post this once a month or so, but dang it, it's always relevant!

Eldon Shamblin and Herb Ellis together.

gotta remember, charlie christian, eldon s & barney kessel - all oklahoma boys..(kessel was from merle haggards muskogee)...herb e was from nearby texas...these guys were the link between jazz bebop and western swing

cheers

ps- add jimmy wyble from port arthur texas
    Last edited by neatomic; 04-06-2017 at 05:44 PM.

User Info Menu

+1 for Ranger Doug!

User Info Menu

Never so many great resources as right now, as mentioned, Whit Smith, the great Ranger Doug, and Bruce Forman is an expert practicioner.

Thanks for all the leads. I clearly asked the right people for advice!

now I just need to decide on what strings to use to get the best out of the guitar.

User Info Menu

There's also a Homespun course by Ray Benson...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    There's also a Homespun course by Ray Benson...

Is that on DVD now? (Homespun made tapes, right?)

User Info Menu

Yes, I think they converted everything to DVD.

User Info Menu

A guy named Leon Grizzard (from Austin, TX) made several videos about Western Swing comping, going from beginner to intermediate. They're on YouTube.

User Info Menu

A guy named Leon Grizzard (from Austin, TX) made several videos about Western Swing comping, going from beginner to intermediate. They're on YouTube.

These are the best out there for Eldon style playing.

User Info Menu

I am wondering if somebody worked with Ray Nijenhuis DVD

Ray Nijenhuis' Western Swing Guitar Guidebook
    Key Rhythm & Soloing Approaches for Western Swing Guitar
    Western Swing Guitar Guidebook - Ray Nijenhuis - TrueFire

I just watched preview on youtube.