The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    50+ yrs after its release..Kind of Blue still sells well..it is the study of improvisation in its raw form..the solos played by these music greats were not based on chordal arrangements..but what the musicians heard at that moment..

to actually study the solos and try and get the same feel would be a study in frustration..one of the reasons the album still sells well is that you cant hear this stuff anywhere else..noone has copied it..not for lack of trying

so creating etudes based on this body of work would be a life long journey into the magic-and my take-perfection in and of music
    Huh? We're talking about chordal work here, not the improvised line. Furthermore, Leavitt already created chord etudes.

My point is that we need many more, and they need to be more current. The ironic thing about Leavitt's work is that it was created a few short years after Kind Of Blue had already flipped the model, so to speak, but he soldiered on with his generational style. (who doesn't, after all?) And his works sound like music from the multiple decades leading up to '59, not the 60's. So what I'm saying is that the new masters need to make an updated contribution. College students should too, especially grad students. They could be required to compose etudes, and perhaps have the best ones published (at Berklee anyway).

Whew, glad we cleared that up.

But to your other points, all incorrect.

1. People have, and continue to, study and learn those solos - ad nauseam. Pros, amatuers, college students. This is something that I know, not think.

2. And yes you CAN hear that stuff - like everywhere. That's practically all "the cats" did is bust their ass aping that album in the following years. Ensemble style, tune style and structure, and style of soloing. The evidence is revealed every single day on Sirius XM's Real Jazz. Admittedly, there are more Trane clones than Davis clones.

Perhaps you meant it has never been "surpassed" or "reached". But it most certainly has been copied, and copied, and copied.

In fact, it has a name - "Post Bop."

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Huh? We're talking about chordal work here, not the improvised line. Furthermore, Leavitt already created chord etudes.

My point is that we need many more, and they need to be more current. The ironic thing about Leavitt's work is that it was created a few short years after Kind Of Blue had already flipped the model, so to speak, but he soldiered on with his generational style. (who doesn't, after all?) And his works sound like music from the multiple decades leading up to '59, not the 60's. So what I'm saying is that the new masters need to make an updated contribution. College students should too, especially grad students. They could be required to compose etudes, and perhaps have the best ones published (at Berklee anyway).

Whew, glad we cleared that up.

But to your other points, all incorrect.

1. People have, and continue to, study and learn those solos - ad nauseam. Pros, amatuers, college students. This is something that I know, not think.

2. And yes you CAN hear that stuff - like everywhere. That's practically all "the cats" did is bust their ass aping that album in the following years. Ensemble style, tune style and structure, and style of soloing. The evidence is revealed every single day on Sirius XM's Real Jazz. Admittedly, there are more Trane clones than Davis clones.

Perhaps you meant it has never been "surpassed" or "reached". But it most certainly has been copied, and copied, and copied.

In fact, it has a name - "Post Bop."

strange...I read and re-read your post..and it seems we agree..for the most part anyway..my tag line"...not for lack of trying.." covers most of your reply..and it is strange-to me anyway-jazz-what is considered jazz by radio stations today is far removed from what it was-but such is life and the economics of ratings driven media..los angeles has one jazz/blues station coming out of a school in long beach..and some other school stations play "jazz" in the late hours..the "soft jazz" stations do ok..you will hear some solid playing but not as a rule..way to sweet to be a steady diet..and yes Sirius Real Jazz is a tribute more than a reflection of the current energy being invested by new players..that is sad..

User Info Menu

As it happens the group called Mostly Other People Do The Killing (Jon Irabagon and co.) did a CD which was a note for note copy of Kind Of Blue, not just the solos but every single part.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    strange...I read and re-read your post..and it seems we agree..for the most part anyway..my tag line"...not for lack of trying.." covers most of your reply..and it is strange-to me anyway-jazz-what is considered jazz by radio stations today is far removed from what it was-but such is life and the economics of ratings driven media..los angeles has one jazz/blues station coming out of a school in long beach..and some other school stations play "jazz" in the late hours..the "soft jazz" stations do ok..you will hear some solid playing but not as a rule..way to sweet to be a steady diet..and yes Sirius Real Jazz is a tribute more than a reflection of the current energy being invested by new players..that is sad..
    Yeah I listen to that one station when in SoCal. It's hit and miss, but I've heard some good stuff on it.

RealJazz on Sirius is really great. It digs deep into the real stuff. They play stuff that works/did work, so to speak. I have learned a few things and have heard things that I wouldn't have otherwise. I'm grateful it's there.

OTOH - it's true that they don't play bleeding edge stuff from the small clubs in NYC. I don't know if that's necessarily "sad" or not. In some cases it might be, while in other cases not. I'm confident that if greatness emerges from the "laboratory" of the clubs, it will rise.

User Info Menu

What became of this? Which is the German publisher? The entire catalog meaning it will include other Goodchord books like the 36 Fingerstyle Arrangements?