The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hey!

Does anybody know a good book or website about chord solos?
    I dont' mean chord melody, I mean improvising with chords (for example solos in the Wes Montgomery block chord style or the Freddie Green style).

I haven't found anything except one thread here which helped me, but I want to learn more about that.

Thanks for every answer and plese help me..

all the best, Tobias

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nobody?
    I know its hard finding information on that topic..

kind regards,..

User Info Menu

There's a Wes Montgomery signature series by Wolf Marshall that has a lot of transcriptions of his solos, including chord stuff. It's not instructional though, but might give you some ideas.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much!
    Thats clever.
    And all in all if its a transcription or instructional book doesn't matter that much for me..so thanks!

kind regards, Tobias

User Info Menu

How about using simple chord melodies and filling in the gaps yourself? You'd learn the songs and you'd have to make up some new chords.

User Info Menu

There's a Joe Pass chord solo book that's about 9$ and will keep you busy for the rest of your life. I've used it for more than a decade and I still finds new things to learn in there.

MW

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM

I have that first book, and it is like a lick book, only with chords instead of single lines. Very useful. I have picked up a couple of chordal licks I use often. Worth picking up.

User Info Menu

There's a great book by Jim Ferguson called All Blues for Jazz Guitar which is full of comping and chord ideas.

User Info Menu

Wow, thank you guys so much! You're really great (just like this message board..)!

I'll have a close look at every book and then look which is the best.

So thanks a lot!

kindest regards, Tobias

User Info Menu

I think the more you know about making chord melodies in general, the more you can pull out 3-4 note chords during an improvised solo.

harmonize the major and minor scales.

I bought this book "how to make jazz chord melodies" by fred sokolow. its pretty good, and cheap. he goes through three different versions of several tunes. The first one being easy, second-intermediate, and 3rd-advanced, all while explaining the concepts behind each chord choice.

That might be your best bet.

you also could type in wes montgomery chord lesson in the youtube search bar. There is a guy who put up a lesson about "wes chords".

User Info Menu

If you can read music, or know some basic theory, you could get exactly the info you're looking for by turning to the piano players. As I understand it, this style of soloing with chords came from piano players like Red Garland, George Shearing, and organists like Wild Bill Davidson. There are piano books which discuss the process of block chord soloing. I absolutely love it, on the guitar or the piano. I also have read that it is related to the big-band sounds of Count Basie, where the arrangers would arrange long passages in chords to be played by the horn sections. If you look for "piano block chord soloing" you'll find a lot of stuff.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Joe Pass has a book on just chord melody solos but I can't remember the title or publisher.

User Info Menu

Building a Jazz Chord Solo by Fred Sokolow is a good tutorial book. Once you have the basics I'm certain you will also enjoy Barry Galbraith Guitar Solos (Mel Bay)