Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54
    Ken

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes.

User Info Menu

I haven't used it, but I have seen a few of his tuition videos, and they go a little fast for me. If you are a reasonably good jazz player, he will definitely take you to a higher level. Well, that's my thoughts, but I really don't know what it's like to be a registered member of his classes. I really love his playing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Yes.

It would be great to take one of his comping videos and discuss it, to get ideas on how to use on standards.
    His videos are jam packed with info.
    ken

User Info Menu

What's the one where he shows how he plays the changes of "TWNBAY" in five positions? I went to his site today and looked at the videos but didn't see any that seemed like that one. Am I confusing him with someone else???

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    It would be great to take one of his comping videos and discuss it, to get ideas on how to use on standards.
    His videos are jam packed with info.
    ken
    That's pretty much how his video lessons works already. He has a lot of standards in his chord melody and tune based lessons. Pick a tune learn it, then re-listen to his video as he explains it. What you learn from watching the video after you know it will be different than what you learned before you could play it. I watched some his videos many times and experimented with what was in the video, watch again I discover more each time, because I've learned more and ears grown so now capable of understanding more. It's that process that teaches there are no shortcuts to growing your ears and the joy you get when you say to yourself "I get it now".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    What's the one where he shows how he plays the changes of "TWNBAY" in five positions? I went to his site today and looked at the videos but didn't see any that seemed like that one. Am I confusing him with someone else???
    Maybe it is available to students that pay a subscription to his library of materials and not one currently listed for individual sale.
    Last edited by srs; 12-28-2015 at 05:58 PM.

User Info Menu

What is TWNBAY??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    What is TWNBAY??
    "There Will Never Be Another You"

User Info Menu

Thanks. But what does TWNBAY mean?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srs
    Maybe it is available to students that pay a subscription to his library of materials and not one currently listed for individual sale.
    Ah, that could be it. I couldn't find it on the site but I've never been a subscriber----it's something I saw a snippet / preview of on YouTube and now I can't figure out what the name of it was.

User Info Menu

Ah, here's a bit of it. It was from a podcast....

User Info Menu

I sent Barry an email. He'll get back to me soon, I'm sure. He's great about that. (Unless he's away for the holidays...) I'll pass on what he tells me----namely, how the rest of us can learn what he taught 55bar!

User Info Menu

I find this one interesting in many ways - over an hour long:

User Info Menu

Barry got back to me fast:

>>>Yes, the lesson is called 5 Position Study. I believe it’s in the Essentials Folder of my Subscription site.<<<<

That's why I couldn't find it among the videos, as it is subscription lesson. I'll have to look into a month of that at least---will be interesting to see how it goes along with Richie Zellon's fingerings. (I am committed to giving Richie---and myself via his teaching---a full year of daily work on his approach. So that comes first.)

O, Barry sends best wishes to all the members here. I passed along good wishes for the new year to him on behalf of us all.
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 12-28-2015 at 07:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Only some of his lessons are for sale all are available via subscription. He has a few free lessons on Youtube.

User Info Menu

>>>Yes, the lesson is called 5 Position Study. I believe it’s in the Essentials Folder of my Subscription site.<<<<

That's why I couldn't find it among the videos, as it is subscription lesson. I'll have to look into a month of that at least---will be interesting to see how it goes along with Richie Zellon's fingerings. (I am committed to giving Richie---and myself via his teaching---a full year of daily work on his approach. So that comes first.)

O, Barry sends best wishes to all the members here. I passed along good wishes for the new year to him on behalf of us all.
    Good sleuthing for a definitive answer. I was hoping it was for sale as an individual video lesson.

User Info Menu

Barry's lesson is Another You / 5 Position Study and it's about chords not scale fingering.

All the scale fingers I've ever seen are I'd guess 95% the same. Some will stretch where others shift usually based on one note and usually dealing with G and B string. I've looked a little at Richie's fingering and that's the only difference I see is patterns I'd put a note on the G string he's putting on B.

User Info Menu

I'm with Barry too.

His lessons are clear, thorough and in four defined streams/"folders" that you can work through.

They are : - Essential lesson folder

-Tune based folder

- Topic driven folder

- Chord melody folder

These all come under the one umbrella .....IOW you don't sign up for any one folder ....your subscription
    allows you access to all the lessons and it's up to you to pick what you want/need to work on.

The PDF's that go with each lesson have become more comprehensive as he's built up to the 100+ he has
    available. But don't expect everything he plays to be transcribed.
    Bear in mind that these lessons are pretty in depth and Barry is no slouch......in fact he's fast.

Very recently he's introduced a new system for viewing the the lessons with a slow-down and loop function.
    I think this now makes his material more accessible to more players.

The lesson working through "There Will Never Be Another You" ......AKA TWBAY is not one of the growing
    number of individual lessons that you can buy as a download.

Here's Barry's intro text to the TWNBAY vid.

5 Position Study :

"One of the most often requested videos is ready for prime time This lesson uses the tune "There Will Never be Another You" to demonstrate my methods of tune learning and gaining fretboard knowledge. PDF file is included and contains all chord voicings in all of the 5 positions studied."

If you wanted to see if it's right for you, just sign up for the 3 day option and have a gander. [very inexpensive option]
    Last edited by Moonray; 12-28-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Yes Barry is a monster player, like I said the PDF's aren't even enough, you need to take notes becausethere is so much in in every video it's insane!!!
    Ken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray
    I'm with Barry too.

His lessons are clear, thorough and in four defined streams/"folders" that you can work through.

If you wanted to see if it's right for you, just sign up for the 3 day option and have a gander. [very inexpensive option]
    Great idea. Thanks for the lowdown----that was clear, concise, and thorough.

User Info Menu

Ha ha.....nice one Mark .....not qualities that I'm known for when trying to
    put ideas in writing .....but with a cold one or three and guitars at the ready.........well.....who knows.
    Last edited by Moonray; 12-30-2015 at 12:48 AM. Reason: hate bad spelling...

User Info Menu

I think he's a fine teacher, player, and super knowledgeable about music in general and guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I find this one interesting in many ways - over an hour long:

That video sums up so many important things that every jazz guitarist can explore quite easily, and this in a musical context. It has unlocked a few mysteries for me already and it has to be said, Barry has a great approach and communicates his ideas so well.

Cheers,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Barry's lesson is Another You / 5 Position Study and it's about chords not scale fingering.
    It's true but the main goal of the study is to be able to play scales (and ultimately, lines) all over the fretboard. The reasoning being that if you're able to visualize chords in all positions and know the corresponding scales for each shape, you will never be lost. This has helped me a lot, and I feel like I'm having better command of my guitar thanks to this.

I've subscribed to his site in the past, and I'm going to subscribe again. Great lessons and great value, if you're capable of working without direct guidance (although Barry does quickly reply to emails if you have questions).