The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 771

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Alain, edh, Graham, thanks to all for your kind words. I'm glad you find value in the book.

Navdeep, yes the book is solely a harmonic method.
    Alan, The 'movement' in your short video is really beautiful - I know it's asking alot but would you consider writing out those changes for us to study? Or, is all that documented in your online course? I do have your book but haven't been able to turn what's in it into what you're doing on the video.

many thanks,

Sean

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sean: It is (partially) written out at Jazz School Online but it's essentially, Eb6o for the Cm7 and some consecutive inversions of the Related Dominant for F7 (Ao) and G7 (Bo).

I find using Sixth Diminished for the IIm7 chord works best with a 3 feel.

Thanks

User Info Menu

thanks Alan, I think I'm going to sign up for your course.

Anyone enrolled in the Jazz school online

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery used these chords scales in his chord solos, as I'm finding out by transcribing. Maybe in comping too, but I make heavy weather of transcribing and haven't transcribed any comnping as it is even harder to hear, and I'm still a beginner really. I do find that using the diminished chord for a 7b9 can get a bit tired if used exclusively like in Alan's video, but I'm certain that Alan was just illustrating a concept and the real joy comes in the freedom of being able to use many different approaches, depending on the desired sound. I have Roni Ben Hur's video and pamphlet which I have found very helpful. Does Alan's book bring anything diofferent to the table?

User Info Menu

I have the book and like the approach and resulting sounds, if could someone to be SPECIFIC and show/reference where you can utilize in/on a standard, without getting implying

Before bleating, you need to look and do the work, I do and have, and have no problem understanding anything, presented here.

Wes did the same thing but not with Maj6 Dim and Min6 Dim scale. JP also had a system but not like Barry H.

Using a different scale produces different sounds, Allan Holdsworth uses a similar method but from completely different scale choice. Although harder to hear not 251 or two chords in a measure (Generalisation here )

Barry is absolutely amazing.

User Info Menu

So Wes didn't use these chord scales? I hear many examples of min 7 chord scales over the min 7 chord which is exactly the same as the maj 6 diminished chord scale. I've even heard the minor 7 chord scale built on the 3rd of the tonic to produce major 9 sounds but with diminished linking chords. This is an interesting sound as one can get a chromatic 9, b3, 3 chromatic line. If you have some better insight into the playing of Wes Montgomery, pray tell.
    Last edited by plasticpigeon; 12-03-2015 at 05:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Sorry should have been clearer of course he did everyone does, just a passing note between 5&6, he tends to harmonize in a different manner but similar on occasion to Barney, using dim7/dom7b9 shapes, and briefly chords of same shape

There is no scale Wes did not play. and certainly used use minor7 over minor 7 in a dorian context, I dont really want to have to go through 20 odd albums to find a specific track. A little too busy playing myself.

ALL i meant is he does not Harmonise with the same scale, i am sure he did at times but generally utilized his own method, Barry and Wes they played together 58 ish ( I think ) Barry loved Wes playing and who knows might have applied the same logic but using different scales, nothing new here, harmonize Harm minor or Melodic minor or Major results in quite different chords. Ask Mr. Holdsworth.

Wes was not afraid to play virtually an entire major scale, normally from M7 below root, and like Django the timing was sublime, it did not have to resolve Note wise but rhythmically, ( I cant explain this in technical terms) in the sense at the end of phrase/line it changed rhythmically, never sounding cheesy always highly musical. This is what separates Django and Wes from the pack. There are some brilliant Gypsy players nowadays, although not my main thing, to my mind they dont quite have that perfect time thing. No disrespect to anyone.

Harmonizing scales produces certain tonal areas, rather like Mr. Holdsworth also does the Barry Harris thing BUT using different chords pulled from Parent scale, rhythmically totally different, with the frequency of chords ie not two per measure, Allan's chord are harmonized from different scales, the moment there is a #5 in a major chord you know something is happening, he does not use a lot of diminished,

In fact it would be interesting to ask Barry, what he thought in relation to Wes's harmonization, I dont know Barry but there are people on the forum who know him. No harm in asking.

Something not frequents mention is Barney Kessels harmonization style. Think a new thread/post might be good.

Wes thought highly of Barney Kessel Harmonic knowledge.

User Info Menu

Interesting observations here about different styles and approaches to the same fret board. Comparing the styles of guitarists like Wes, Joe Pass, Barney Kessel is revealing. Of the three, which seem to have a more similar style? I would have to say Joe and Barney are closer to each other than Wes. All three are influenced by the blues but to different degrees. Barney is the most 'traditional' guitarist in terms of fingerings. Joe is fairly traditional as well. Wes is different in how he fingers his interpretations and often I find he works harder to play the same notes, but that helped define his signature sound.

The fret board is the same in standard tuning for everyone. It is how you transition and how you hear the notes and execute that make the difference in my opinion.

User Info Menu

I once worked out the chord solo lines Wes played on a long G minor run - I think it was on a version of Summertime from the 'Live at Jorgies' LP.

Starting from the G minor barre at the 3rd fret and ascending up the scale, it would be something like this, for each degree of the scale. These chords are all using the top 4 strings only.

1: Gm7 (or maybe Gm6)
    2: Diminished
    3: Gm7 (inversion)
    4: Diminished
    5: Gm7 (inversion)
    6: C7
    7: Gm7 (inversion)
    8: Gm6 (i.e. using a barre on the 15th fret). You could also view this as a rootless C9.

So a bit like Barry Harris, but Wes stops using the diminished after the 'halfway' point, and does not have the extra half-step between the 5 and 6.

Of course Wes makes more melodic lines out of it than just a scale, sometimes he ascends, sometimes descends, sometimes ascends on 1, 3, 5 ,7 then descends on 6, 4, 2, etc.

I could probably write out the exact chord shapes if anyone would find them useful. I use them quite a lot for chord solos.
    Last edited by grahambop; 12-04-2015 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I once worked out the chord solo lines Wes played on a long G minor run - I think it was on a version of Summertime from the 'Live at Jorgies' LP.

Starting from the G minor barre at the 3rd fret and ascending up the scale, it would be something like this, for each degree of the scale. These chords are all using the top 4 strings only.

1: Gm7 (or maybe Gm6)
    6: C7
    8: Gm6 (i.e. using a barre on the 15th fret). You could also view this as a rootless C9.

So a bit like Barry Harris, but Wes stops using the diminished after the 'halfway' point, and does not have the extra half-step between the 5 and 6.

Of course Wes makes more melodic lines out of it than just a scale, sometimes he ascends, sometimes descends, sometimes ascends on 1, 3, 5 ,7 then descends on 6, 4, 2, etc.

I could probably write out the exact chord shapes if anyone would find them useful. I use them quite a lot for chord solos.

That would be great if you could write them out
    Ken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    That would be great if you could write them out
    Ken
    No problem Ken, if I get a chance over the weekend I'll do it. I've got a handy little program on my PC that creates chord diagrams, so I'll try and do it with that.

Also I had a chance to dig into the Alan Kingstone Barry Harris book last night, and I got some nice stuff out of that. I know you were asking for specific examples based on this book, so maybe I'll try and put a couple of those together as well.

User Info Menu

You guys know that there is a poster on YouTube who has analyzed out several of Wes' solos and provides a virtual fret board as well as running sheet music of the tunes, right? Like I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face. I'll try to link it. You can see quite virtually what Wes is playing. He has his own sense of harmonization and fingerings. But in the end it's all music.

Last edited by targuit; 12-04-2015 at 09:39 AM.

destinytot Guest
    Using Bb6 as scale reference for the Gm7 chord in the above example (same notes), the extra half-step between the 5 and 6 would be a Gb.

That Gb note is a chord tone belonging to the V (7/dominant) chord of our Gm7 chord - that Gb note, as F#, is the third of D7.

And on that Gb, we build a diminished chord.

To borrow and adapt from grahambop, an instant eight-note harmonised scale comes from:

1: Gm7
    6: Diminished
    8: Diminished

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    You guys know that there is a poster on YouTube who has analyzed out several of Wes' solos and provides a virtual fret board as well as running sheet music of the tunes, right?
    I did not know that. Thanks for the news and sample.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Using Bb6 as scale reference for the Gm7 chord in the above example (same notes), the extra half-step between the 5 and 6 would be a Gb.

That Gb note is a chord tone belonging to the V (7/dominant) chord of our Gm7 chord - that Gb note, as F#, is the third of D7.

And on that Gb, we build a diminished chord.

To borrow and adapt from grahambop, an instant eight-note harmonised scale comes from:

1: Gm7
    6: Diminished
    8: Diminished
    The Gm7 is enharmonic to the Bb6, as well as to a EbM9.

The Barry Harris system of harmonized major or minor 6 chord scales is basically this (key of Bb)

Bb6
    Cdim
    Bb6 (inversion with the D in the bass)
    Ebdim
    Bb6 (inversion with F in the bass)
    Gbdim
    Bb6 (inversion with G in the bass)
    Adim

note that you get a dim chord every minor third .
    Last edited by NSJ; 12-04-2015 at 10:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Its a waste of paper
    If you're talking about the Alan Kingstone book, you are dead wrong. You may not get it but that doesn't mean there's nothing there worth getting. Anyone who has heard him play knows that Alan knows his stuff. And it's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    If you're talking about the Alan Kingstone book, you are dead wrong. You may not get it but that doesn't mean there's nothing there worth getting. Anyone who has heard him play knows that Alan knows his stuff. And it's good stuff.
    I don't doubt that he knows is stuff, IMO the book could have had much better examples instead of all these home and away diagrams.....

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    No problem Ken, if I get a chance over the weekend I'll do it. I've got a handy little program on my PC that creates chord diagrams, so I'll try and do it with that.

Also I had a chance to dig into the Alan Kingstone Barry Harris book last night, and I got some nice stuff out of that. I know you were asking for specific examples based on this book, so maybe I'll try and put a couple of those together as well.

Thanks Doc!
    Ken

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    The Gm7 is enharmonic to the Bb6, as well as to a EbM9.

The Barry Harris system of harmonized major or minor 6 chord scales is basically this (key of Bb)

Bb6
    Cdim
    Bb6 (inversion with the D in the bass)
    Ebdim
    Bb6 (inversion with F in the bass)
    Gdim
    Bb6 (inversion with G in the bass)
    Adim

note that you get a dim chord every minor third .
    Sure - although building your diminished from the third of D7 (as secondary dominant of Gm7) gives a different diminished, and a different flavour to the Gm7.

And I do think you're right to name the pitches. Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking that having fewer terms to deal with might be helpful.

As I prefer to stop thinking once I feel I've understood something, I usually leave theory to the big boys. Once I've understood sounds in context, nomenclature matters less to me - if at all - than function. (On the subject of which, I'd call Alan's book to a game-changer for guitarists.)

User Info Menu

I don't doubt that he knows is stuff, IMO the book could have had much better examples instead of all these home and away diagrams.....
    Having looked at the book, I think you're just not getting an understanding of how to apply them. Like I said, I'll put a couple of examples together. It's actually quite straightforward, at least the way I'm seeing it.

User Info Menu

Look... it's not complicated... the complicated aspect is just the technical part of being able to play your inversions etc,,,

The basic concept is... I to V and back to I and back to V etc...
    The next step is to camouflage what your playing so the functional aspects of V to I aren't so strong and obvious. So you use Bbmaj6 Chord and the Dim chord for the V7 chord, which becomes the related V7b9 chord.

So with the Bbmaj6 chord the Cdim7 chord is functioning as a F7b9

The G-7 or G-6 chord is just the related Min versions of the Bbmaj...

Bbmaj6.....6 X 5 7 6 X
    Cdim7.......8 X 7 8 7 X
    Bb6/D.......10 X 8 10 8 X
    Ebdim7.....11 X 10 11 10 X
    Bb6/F.......13 X 12 12 11 X
    Gbdim7.....14 X 13 14 13 X
    Bb6/G ......15 X 15 15 15 X... is just G-7, make G-6... 15 X 14 15 15 X
    Adim7.......17 X 16 17 16 X

You can stay in one basic position by playing the Gbdim7 on root 5th string etc. Basically the entire pattern can be transposed how ever you choose to use... the entire concept is just using a target chord and using the V7b9 chord for creating movement between the inversions.

This is just one approach to creating harmonic motion.... it becomes very vanilla and boring if that's all you use etc... as does almost any one approach. The down side of this approach is how somewhat non descriptive the motion becomes. Result of the organization of notes.... way to symmetrical, but when used with many of the other harmonic motion techniques... has it's place and can be very hip, at least the 1st few times you hear or use it.

As with most theoretical concepts, the concept or theory isn't the problem.... it's the technique and being able to actually perform the approach without just memorizing chord patterns. And also creating actual melodic lines on top of the chord patterns.... just playing scales or arpeggios on top really isn't that melodic.
    Last edited by Reg; 12-04-2015 at 12:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Just another note... very rarely do you have that much time to play any complete version of the Maj or Min chord motion pattern above. Again it's just a Tonic - Dominant chord patterns with inversions, in it's self very boring, but when you use the pattern to help support or voice a melodic pattern or melodic groove, and bring in other harmonic aspects... subs, approach chords and also Tonic to Subdominat chord patterns... use of Blue notes and Melodic Minor for lead line references...much bigger door and harmonic options, anyway can become very useful.

But as always... the technical performance aspects are much more important than the concept when your playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Look... it's not complicated... the complicated aspect is just the technical part of being able to play your inversions etc,,,

The basic concept is... I to V and back to I and back to V etc...
    The next step is to camouflage what your playing so the functional aspects of V to I aren't so strong and obvious. So you use Bbmaj6 Chord and the Dim chord for the V7 chord, which becomes the related V7b9 chord.

So with the Bbmaj6 chord the Cdim7 chord is functioning as a F7b9

The G-7 or G-6 chord is just the related Min versions of the Bbmaj...

Bbmaj6.....6 X 5 7 6 X
    Cdim7.......8 X 7 8 7 X
    Bb6/D.......10 X 8 10 8 X
    Ebdim7.....11 X 10 11 10 X
    Bb6/F.......13 X 12 12 11 X
    Gbdim7.....14 X 13 14 13 X
    Bb6/G ......15 X 15 15 15 X... is just G-7, make G-6... 15 X 14 15 15 X
    Adim7.......17 X 16 17 16 X

You can stay in one basic position by playing the Gbdim7 on root 5th string etc. Basically the entire pattern can be transposed how ever you choose to use... the entire concept is just using a target chord and using the V7b9 chord for creating movement between the inversions.

This is just one approach to creating harmonic motion.... it becomes very vanilla and boring if that's all you use etc... as does almost any one approach. The down side of this approach is how somewhat non descriptive the motion becomes. Result of the organization of notes.... way to symmetrical, but when used with many of the other harmonic motion techniques... has it's place and can be very hip, at least the 1st few times you hear or use it.

As with most theoretical concepts, the concept or theory isn't the problem.... it's the technique and being able to actually perform the approach without just memorizing chord patterns. And also creating actual melodic lines on top of the chord patterns.... just playing scales or arpeggios on top really isn't that melodic.

Exactly what I've told people online and off just write it out see what it creates. Then play it and listen to the sound it offers. The experiment with it and get a feel for how to use it in phrases (chordal and melodic). That will teach far more than some example because you will have absorb the concept and the feel applying it.

User Info Menu

Here are the chords Wes Montgomery used to create a chord solo in G minor. They use the top 4 strings only.

Looking for the best book on creating chord movement to use on standards-wes-montgomery-chords-jpg