The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 771

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007

Just screwing around root and melody..I can see if you start with basic and keep adding it can sound nice...Kind of what Martin Taylor does.
    Ken

That's cool, now just keep playing and refining, playing and refining. You understand more than you realize.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

thx Doc, going to keep working...I know he mentioned you can sub E for Bb7...Would it still be E dominant?

User Info Menu

thx Doc, going to keep working...I know he mentioned you can sub E for Bb7...Would it still be E dominant?

Yes, E7 would be the tritone sub of Bb7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Yes, E7 would be the tritone sub of Bb7.
    And because these tritone sub chords are so similar, you can make some nice easy chord movements with them on the guitar.

e.g. you could replace Bb7, with E9 moving to Bb7#5, which would just be:

x7677x to 6x677x

Same chord almost, only the bass note needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    And because these tritone sub chords are so similar, you can make some nice easy chord movements with them on the guitar.

e.g. you could replace Bb7, with E9 moving to Bb7#5, which would just be:

x7677x to 6x677x

Same chord almost, only the bass note needs to change.
    ty Grahambop!!!
    Ken

User Info Menu

Some 4 Note Dominant Tritone Relationships

Silent (Roots) indicated in parenthesis.

E7b5 - E G# Bb D = Bb7b5 - Bb D Fb Ab

E7 - E G# B D = Bb7b5b9 - (Bb) D Fb Ab Cb

E7+ - E G# B# D = Bb9b5 - (Bb) D Fb Ab C

E13 - E G# C# D = Bb7#9b5 - (Bb) D Fb Ab C#

----------------------------------------------------------

E7b5b9 - (E) G# Bb D F = Bb7 - Bb D F Ab

E7b9 - (E) G# B D F = Bb7b9 - (Bb) D F Ab Cb

E7b9+ - (E) G# B# D F = Bb9 - (Bb) D F Ab C

E13b9 - (E) G# C# D F = Bb7#9 - (Bb) D F Ab C#

-------------------------------------------------------------

E9b5 - (E) G# Bb D F# = Bb7+ - Bb D F# Ab

E9 - (E) G# B D F# = Bb7b9+ - (Bb) D F# Ab Cb

E9+ - (E) G# B# D F# = Bb9+ - (Bb) D F# Ab C

E9/13 - (E) G# C# D F# = Bb7#9+ - (Bb) D F# Ab C#

----------------------------------------------------------------

E7b5#9 - (E) G# Bb D Fx = Bb13 - Bb D G Ab

E7#9 - (E) G# B D Fx = Bb13b9 - (Bb) D G Ab Cb

E7#9+ - (E) G# B# D Fx = Bb9/13 - (Bb) D G Ab C

E13#9 - (E) G# C# D Fx = Bb13#9 - (Bb) D G Ab C#

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tritone Functional Relationships

Root = b5

3 = b7

b5 = Root

5 = b9

#5 = 9

13 = #9

b7 = 3

b9 = 5

9 = #5

#9 = 13

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    Some 4 Note Dominant Tritone Relationships

Silent (Roots) indicated in parenthesis.

E7b5 - E G# Bb D = Bb7b5 - Bb D Fb Ab

E7 - E G# B D = Bb7b5b9 - (Bb) D Fb Ab Cb

E7+ - E G# B# D = Bb9b5 - (Bb) D Fb Ab C

E13 - E G# C# D = Bb7#9b5 - (Bb) D Fb Ab C#

----------------------------------------------------------

E7b5b9 - (E) G# Bb D F = Bb7 - Bb D F Ab

E7b9 - (E) G# B D F = Bb7b9 - (Bb) D F Ab Cb

E7b9+ - (E) G# B# D F = Bb9 - (Bb) D F Ab C

E13b9 - (E) G# C# D F = Bb7#9 - (Bb) D F Ab C#

-------------------------------------------------------------

E9b5 - (E) G# Bb D F# = Bb7+ - Bb D F# Ab

E9 - (E) G# B D F# = Bb7b9+ - (Bb) D F# Ab Cb

E9+ - (E) G# B# D F# = Bb9+ - (Bb) D F# Ab C

E9/13 - (E) G# C# D F# = Bb7#9+ - (Bb) D F# Ab C#

----------------------------------------------------------------

E7b5#9 - (E) G# Bb D Fx = Bb13 - Bb D G Ab

E7#9 - (E) G# B D Fx = Bb13b9 - (Bb) D G Ab Cb

E7#9+ - (E) G# B# D Fx = Bb9/13 - (Bb) D G Ab C

E13#9 - (E) G# C# D Fx = Bb13#9 - (Bb) D G Ab C#

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tritone Functional Relationships

Root = b5

3 = b7

b5 = Root

5 = b9

#5 = 9

13 = #9

b7 = 3

b9 = 5

9 = #5

#9 = 13
    WOW, now I have to try and understand it Thanks Bako!!!!
    Ken

User Info Menu

Ken, frankly I think it's easier if you don't spend too much time understanding it in depth, but rather think of it visually and sonically. Think of it like this for starters: Whenever you see a II-V, after the II, play a dominant chord one fret down. Eg. Instead of Dm-G7-Cmaj7, play Dm-Db7-Cmaj7.

Simple, and it always works.

If you are interested in dominant substitutions and why they work, look again at the Kingstone book. He talks about it in one of the chapters. It opened my eyes to many uncommon substitution possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by AlainJazz
    Ken, frankly I think it's easier if you don't spend too much time understanding it in depth, but rather think of it visually and sonically. Think of it like this for starters: Whenever you see a II-V, after the II, play a dominant chord one fret down. Eg. Instead of Dm-G7-Cmaj7, play Dm-Db7-Cmaj7.

Simple, and it always works.

If you are interested in dominant substitutions and why they work, look again at the Kingstone book. He talks about it in one of the chapters. It opened my eyes to many uncommon substitution possibilities.
    Thank you Alain

User Info Menu

WOW, now I have to try and understand it Thanks Bako!!!!
    Ken

Tritone subs work because the 3rd and 7th of both chords are the same notes.

destinytot Guest
    Great thread - nice one!

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Great thread - nice one!
    ty

Larry Carlton can play very fast, have you heard his song "Point it up" From room 335 album, I believe that's the name of the song

User Info Menu

Xclnt, I really like the movement you project with those chords.

Looks like another one for the wish list.

Although this one goes to the top of the list.

Thanks Alan
    edh

Again I think it was a mistake not to show how it could be used over different standards, such as My romance , Misty and a like.
    ken

User Info Menu

Alan, I hate books. I've never learned anything useful for my day to day playing out of a book .... Until I got your book. Very insightful and immediately useful. Thank-you.

User Info Menu

Again I think it was a mistake not to show how it could be used over different standards, such as My romance , Misty and a like.
    ken

I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree.

User Info Menu

ken
    I think the idea is you should be able to figure this out for yourself. Bear in mind I've only skimmed the book so far, but I can see there are chord lines (scales if you like) for a Major context, and a Minor context. The diminished chords are used for the 'in-between' tones. And (I'm guessing a bit here, I haven't got to this in the book yet) you can usually fit an appropriate diminished chord over an altered dominant 7th chord. (For example I sometimes use an F diminished on the top 4 strings to replace a G7alt chord, it fits quite nicely).

Most of what you encounter in standard tunes will be building movement over a major chord or a minor chord or a dominant chord. Like Joe Pass said, those are the only 3 chords he concerned himself with, essentially.

So if you have a typical ii-V-I progression you could easily construct some movement over it from a combination of the appropriate chord line ideas in Alan's book, I would have thought. In fact doesn't the book give one or two examples of what to do on a ii-V-I? I'm sure I saw that on one page.

At the end of the book there is a completely written out (standard notation) example over a standard, with a bar-by-bar analysis of which devices from the book were used, in EVERY BAR. I can't see why you can't get something from that and apply it to other tunes.

User Info Menu

Alain, edh, Graham, thanks to all for your kind words. I'm glad you find value in the book.

Navdeep, yes the book is solely a harmonic method.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Alain, edh, Graham, thanks to all for your kind words. I'm glad you find value in the book.

Navdeep, yes the book is solely a harmonic method.
    Love that story in the book where you started cataloguing every possible chord variation using the method, and Barry Harris said 'don't do that, you'll spoil the fun for everybody!'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Love that story in the book where you started cataloguing every possible chord variation using the method, and Barry Harris said 'don't do that, you'll spoil the fun for everybody!'

Ha!

I can still hear him "you're taking all the fun out of it".

That thing was going to be the size of a phone book.

User Info Menu

Now that things have cooled I will self promote. (Very rare for a Canadian)

I've received great feedback for The Barry Harris Harmonic Method For Guitar as well as not so enthusiastic reviews.

The book is a result of just trying to interpret Barry's mastery and the main message is 'move'.
    That's good stuff. Thanks. You should post more. You've definitely got something many others want.

User Info Menu

Just out of curiosity - I read here references to a "method". Is there a guiding principle to be enunciated relating to the use of the m6th or diminished chords? I listened to the nice playing in Alan's video which was characterized by excellent voice leading. I'm not trying to get the Cliff Notes version but rather to understand what makes Barry Harris' concept of harmony different from traditional approaches.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Just out of curiosity - I read here references to a "method". Is there a guiding principle to be enunciated relating to the use of the m6th or diminished chords? I listened to the nice playing in Alan's video which was characterized by excellent voice leading. I'm not trying to get the Cliff Notes version but rather to understand what makes Barry Harris' concept of harmony different from traditional approaches.
    See my post no. 61 (on page 2 of this thread). There is a website link with some useful details. On that web page there is a PDF with some examples of the Barry Harris chord lines/scales.

User Info Menu

Ha!

I can still hear him "you're taking all the fun out of it".

That thing was going to be the size of a phone book.

Sounds like Bill Evans I think it was his brother asked him multiple times how he played something and Bill just ignored him. Finally his brother asked him why won't you show me that and Bill's response was... I don't want to deny you the joy you'll get when you discover it yourself. The old school teachers like Barry Harry know that it's the process that teaches not the answer.

BTW I had difficulty getting into the book early on and mentioned it in other threads. I admit I was one of those idiots asking for more examples. Now that I picked up the basic concepts via a piano player I'm back working on your book and digging it. It's really opened up my comping and my single line both applying the concept.
    Last edited by docbop; 12-02-2015 at 01:40 PM.