The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What is the best available book on swing comping?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charlton Johnson, Swing and Big Band Guitar

4 80.00%
  • Paul Howard, Guitar Roots: Swing!

0 0%
  • Hal Leonard, Swing Guitar Essentials

0 0%
  • Ranger Doug, Rhythm Guitar the Ranger Doug Way

0 0%
  • Some Other Title (-please mention it below)

1 20.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    I bought this book in the mid-70s.

Like a lot of MB's early work there's not a lot of explanation since he wrote it to be used with a teacher.

It clearly lays out in diagram form the four string (6-4-3-2) "orchestral" chords that were the meat and potatoes for a big band guitarist. These shapes also form the basis of the so-called Freddie Green chords when the second string note is omitted.

While the book is short on theory, there are exercises to physically drill the chords and diagrams are used to demonstrate how a major seventh morphs into a minor seventh or how a minor seventh becomes a minor sixth.

While the book doesn't specifically delve into the area of voice leading, it does provide the physical tools necessary to play "walking chords" which can be useful in both big band and small group situations.

As Mark, pointed out, the is no CD but Bill Bay has recorded a DVD to accompany the book. I haven't seen the DVD so I can't comment on it. The sample at the MB website only shows him making the F barre.

Rhythm Guitar Chord System Book/DVD Set - Mel Bay Publications, Inc. : Mel Bay

Very good review, Monk. I had already bought it yesterday from an eBay dealer, but this makes me glad I did. The way I look at books is this: if I learn ONE *good* thing from it, it was worth it. This book sounds good, but I know at the same time that I know this kind of stuff pretty well... so I'm hoping for that one good thing - LOL! Probably will get *many dozens* of things I don't know. I'm only now beinning to realize what a genius Mel Bay was, and what an arranger, esp. with his solo plectrum guitar pieces. Where would I be without the guy?

At the Mel Bay site, beside this book, is this one (Ronny Lee):

And Fareed Haque mentions in one of his TrueFire courses how he used (among other resources) this very book. Chet and (was it Tommy E.?) wrote and sang an ode to the Mel.

So everybody say a "Hail Mel Bay."

"Hail."

Haha.
    Last edited by Kojo27; 10-07-2014 at 11:44 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kojo mentioned the song Chet Atkins and Tommy Emmanuel did for Mel Bay. Here it is. (It's so funny to hear the intentionally bad solos after each chorus.)

User Info Menu

Reviving a dead thread, but I wanted to share a fairly recent resource for others. Amazon.com: Jazz Swing Guitar (Guitar: Jazz Swing) (0888680039950): Jon Wheatley: Books

I have worked through Charlton Johnston's book and I strongly agree that it is a great way to work yourself into shape and learn all inversions. The book I linked above is a bit less systematic in its approach and exercises, but it features many examples that help to reinforce the 'language' of swing. Strongly recommended.