The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35
    Chord progressions that sound like smooth jazz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Load the changes from the tunes.

Most are ABA so you can load just the a section and that should give you plenty. Forest Flower is Ama7 Gma7 Cma7 Bbma7. Lucky Southern is Dma7 E7 Gma7 Bb7 A7 Dma7 Ebma7 then repeats.

No ii-V's here.

User Info Menu

How about Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin On?" Google for the chord chart and you can just pop the changes in. Convert the chords to 7th chords though if you get a chart that shows the I chord as just a plain major. This progression is awsome for just blowing over.

User Info Menu

the solo changes to red clay are super smooth. they're the same as "if you want me to stay" and "just the two of us" and "sunny"

User Info Menu

Cmin7---Bbmin7-Eb7-AbMaj7---Dm7(b5)-G7alt

repeat over and over.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timscarey
    Cmin7---Bbmin7-Eb7-AbMaj7---Dm7(b5)-G7alt

repeat over and over.
    Sorry, how do you spell G7 alt please?

Have just downloaded charts for songs like No Easy Way To Say Goodbye, Dream a Little Dream, Beginning to See the Light, etc. John W, I've got to buy a Real Book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noodler
    Sorry, how do you spell G7 alt please?

G - B - (D#)- F and any (or all or none) of these Ab, A#, C#

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    G - B - (D#)- F and any (or all or none) of these Ab, A#, C#
    Hang on. So 1,3,#5,b7. That's fine.

Ab, A#, C#: Do you mean as notes, like b9, b3, b5...or is it one of them things where different chords have the same notes? Or was that supposed to be 9, 11, 13....

In a nutshell, is an altered chord a dominant chord with a #5?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noodler
    Hang on. So 1,3,#5,b7. That's fine.

Ab, A#, C#: Do you mean as notes, like b9, b3, b5...or is it one of them things where different chords have the same notes? Or was that supposed to be 9, 11, 13....

In a nutshell, is an altered chord a dominant chord with a #5?
    root, M3, #5, m7. optional b9, #9, #11. almost always the #9. no other notes available (no 9, 11, 13).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    I've looked on youtube many times to find some smooth h=jazz backing tracks, but can't locate any. They have every other style of music to jam to except smooth jazz songs.
    Ken
    I see tons of smooth jazz tunes on youtube. Are you looking for someone to just spell them out for you, or just provide the rhythm for you? Here is a guy I know of and he is playing a pretty typical SJ tune. He also has a site with tracks I think.