The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 57 of 57

User Info Menu

Mr. B -

Good to know! I read somewhere that Freddie Green often muted 5 and 2 I think it was to keep things clean...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Now, when playing in a quartet setting, who is it more proper to listen to for time, the drummer or the bass?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJohnson@noirmusic.
    I heard one players "rule of thumb" as "No more then 2"....meaning that he never had to move more then 2 frets to get from chord A to chord B...I am not sure how possible that is, or even to be able to play every chord in every basic position....at least I sort of assume that certain voicings/positions would be less satisfactory then others.
    I read something similar a long time ago and I believe it mentioned Freddie Green. Examples, included the following on the D & G strings. E7-A7-D7-G7 alternating between the 3rd and 7th of the chords as you move down the neck 1 fret at a time. You can add the low E tring, alternating between the 5th and the root but then the fingering would change for the E string or use the flatted 5th substitutions and keep the same fingering.. Since pattern know as the circle or cycle of 4ths (5ths) is so prevalent in jazz you can get a lot of mileage in it with very little movement. This is what I generally think of when I hear the term comping, but it can be and appears to have been expanded (and expounded, lol) upon as it has been in this thread. So many choices so many opinions, which is probably one of the reasons we are all so passionate about guitar playing. I'm new to this site and I really enjoy and appreciate all of the postings.

Gale

User Info Menu

As Billy Hart would say the drummer is "driving the bus!" So I would go with listening to the drummer. Though there are always exceptions, but if your drummer is good enough he's the guy that's keeping that time moving forward for most of the night.

MW

User Info Menu

listen to jim hall, kenny burrell

User Info Menu

Let´s think about Wes montogomery compyings.

a think we should listen much more of Wes , then try to make a comps of him by earing, i think it can developing very well.

User Info Menu

Let´s think about Wes montogomery compings.i like his compositions by the smooth modes of melody, «and it sounds nice when you play in classical aucustic guitar.

a think we should listen much more of Wes , then try to make a comps of him by earing, i think it can developing very well.

cheers irmanos

Claudino Braga