The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

What a killer version!

The chord progression seems to me to be entirely different from what I can find in lead sheets on the web, though....

Not sure if I'm right but to me it sounds something like:

Ebm7 Db7 /B7 Bb7/ (repeat) for the A section

and:

Abm7 Db9/Gbm7 B9/Fm7b5 Bb7/Ebmmaj7 //

Can anybody correct me and put me on the right track, please?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A definitive Jazz Blues song for sure! And you can hear the musicians voices in the background "ooohing and ahhhing" as they urge each other on. You can tell they were having fun and the synergy was high - just as it should be when playing with others!

User Info Menu

Cool track. The last change on the B section is essentially Eb-maj7/Ab (i.e., it's an Ab7(#11) voicing). And, yes, it's not really It Ain't Necessarily So -- It's different enough that I'm surprised they didn't just name it and claim it for themselves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Cool track. The last change on the B section is essentially Eb-maj7/Ab (i.e., it's an Ab7(#11) voicing). And, yes, it's not really It Ain't Necessarily So -- It's different enough that I'm surprised they didn't just name it and claim it for themselves.
    So I can assume everything else is right then?

As for the "ooohing and ahhhing" I have read that it was Art Blakey who was carried away by the playing....

User Info Menu

I think I have a transcription of this, if you'd like to see it ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    I think I have a transcription of this, if you'd like to see it ...

Absolutely!

Welcome, HighSpeedSpoon!

User Info Menu

Sorry, it took me a minute to get back with the transcription. (See attached.) Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan, GG's music's got it all, one of my favourite jazz musicians

User Info Menu

@M-ster, thanks for the transcription.

User Info Menu

Thanks M-Ster.....I had it close, but this helped clear up a few things. The feel was much harder to copy than I thought at first.....Girlfriend said his playing was sexy on this so I had to learn it lol....couple of clams here and there but close enough for now....

User Info Menu

Great job DJ!!!

User Info Menu

Ha! Very nice, Djangoles!

User Info Menu

Yeah, Djangoles, that was some nice work.

M-ster, allow to join the grateful chorus thanking you for providing this transcription!

User Info Menu

Hello All,

I have been looking around for great ways to learn how to read music, and to be able to play good jazz guitar much like the great Grant Green.

I just wanted to comment on how helpful this thread has been, you guys are awesome!

I would appreciate any tips or advice, video tutorials, or tabs that could help me grow as a musician.

Thanks again!

Nehad

User Info Menu

Thanks for the trancription, M-ster!
    I'm glad I've found an active jazz guitar forum to exchange ideas and learn more!
    Thank you all!

Rods

User Info Menu

Hey dude! I don't know how much you have trained until this point but it's quite fine to start!
    Your vid will help me a lot. Thanks!

User Info Menu

If I may go off topic here for a bit. Does anyone know how Grant gets that distinct sound out of his guitar. I have never heard anything like it.

Thanks
    edh

User Info Menu

P90's like an ES-330, a tube amp with the midrange dimed (and treble and bass at zero) and some "after the amp" reverb outta do it.

And don't tickle that guitar--hit it!

User Info Menu

Thanks B., sure sounds nice.

User Info Menu

I think Grant Green sound is also due to his technique. He had a very distinct way of playing that can only be learn by transcribing a few of is songs. That goes for just about any guitarist you're interested in.

User Info Menu

Good one DJ.
    Just curiosity, how long to get it under yours fingers?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Good one DJ.

Thanks...I honestly don't remember. Maybe an hour a day for about a week. My time is really limited right now, but that would seem about right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djangoles
    Thanks...I honestly don't remember. Maybe an hour a day for about a week. My time is really limited right now, but that would seem about right.
    Oh yeah, this needs some time to get...
    Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Good one DJ.
    It depends also on your guitar technique/skills level.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smokinguit
    It depends also on your guitar technique/skills level.
    Oh yes, for sure...