The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

Hello All,

Great forum! I find myself going to piano players lately to see how they approach chord changes for a tune I might be interested in arranging on guitar. The act of trying to translate piano voicings to guitar can lead to some fruitful moments. I recently snagged a chord from Marion McPartland that I was looking for for Easy Living. More often than not lately I like to listen a piano player accompany a good singer so I can explore some changes and the melody at the same time. Itunes facilitates this greatly for me.

So I'm curious about what piano players you might listen for chordal inspiration. Thanks!

Sandy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Marc Copland
    Robert Glasper has some personal voicings that are nice to borrow, altough I don't like his music much (specially the latest stuff)
    The same goes for Taylor Eigsti
    Aaron Parks has some niiice stuff, and the sheets from his album are available to download (including voicings for some tunes)

User Info Menu

I remember hiring the great guitarist Mike Miller (Chick Corea and many others) for a clinic at the school I worked at. He was asked who his favorite guitarist is and he said Bill Evans. Students had the trout look Mike said I don't listen to guitarist's much I listen to Bill Evans all the time his choral ideas are amazing. So I would suggest listen to Bill Evans.

I listen to McCoy Tyner, but in long run mainly listen to sax and trumpet players. In fact for getting line idea I like piano-less sax trios.

User Info Menu

Actually, I think that guitarists have more cool voicings than piano players usually. It's just that the crystal clear sound of the piano makes everything sound better, hence why we love that tone and we may think think they are doing hip stuff ha
    Piano players are more concerned about voice leading than we are, of course. They do have great voicings thou, but well, I would listen a hell of Ben Monder and Tim Miller if I were you

User Info Menu

I would and do listen to Bill Evans for inspiration on harmonic concepts.

wiz

User Info Menu

Bill Evans. Tommy Flanagan. Wynton Kelly. Red Garland.

User Info Menu

Brad Mehldau

User Info Menu

Sandy Shalk. I do the same via an Australian pianist Doug Monroe.His site is "Jazz2511".You watch and see what/how he approaches reharmonisation.He really has some great chord progressions which arent too difficult to transfer the the guitar.

User Info Menu

I've transcribed a whole tune of McCoy Tyner's piano voicings before...taught me a ton.

I really like listening to the way Hank Jones comps on a ballad...I've also picked up great ideas from Danny Grissett, Bill Evans, Lyle Mays, Brad Mehldau, Dave Brubeck, heck...I probably listen to more piano players than anything...

User Info Menu

I've never actually worked out any of his playing, but I find Jaki Byard's playing to be very unique yet without sounding weird or remotely unjazzy. I will transcribe some of it this year.

User Info Menu

Bill Evans, +1, McCoy Tyner +1

But don't forget Nat Cole! Not only great piano chops, but you get the additional lessons of his vocal phrasing.

User Info Menu

Oscar Peterson fan!

User Info Menu

I'll add Kenny Barron. He plays on Abbey Lincoln's "A Turtle's Dream" (and some Stan Getz recordings among other things) and does some things that remind me of Bill Evans. His solo (pretty much single lines) on "Down Here Below" on Abbey's album has some great ideas in it and always inspires me when I listen to it for some reason.

User Info Menu

Sandy Shalk.Earlier reply should have read "Doug McKenzie".I had a senior moment!

User Info Menu

Nobody mentioned Ahmed Jamal!

User Info Menu

Bud Powell

User Info Menu

I like Keith Jarrett a lot:

User Info Menu

Jazzuki

As per forum rules, senior moments are smiled upon I am familiar with McKenzie's work. Great stuff! Super videos, website, chord changes. His improvs are really a master class in my mind.

Sandy

User Info Menu

it's a shame jazz piano doesn't have one decent web forum...not a ONE!!! that's pathetic!

so someone thinks guitar has cooler jazz voicings than piano...very interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dinot
    Aaron Parks has some niiice stuff, and the sheets from his album are available to download (including voicings for some tunes)
    any links?

User Info Menu

Aaron Parks' Invisible Cinema Lead Sheets | Nextbop

But I suggest you first you listen to his record until you know it by memory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dinot
    Aaron Parks' Invisible Cinema Lead Sheets | Nextbop

But I suggest you first you listen to his record until you know it by memory
    okay, so just the one sheet - thx!

Aaron and I had the same Seattle teacher in the very early 90's...he was a kid, I an adult. happy to hear he's found a following.

User Info Menu

Good stuff guys. Thanks for the recommendations. More to listen to.

Sandy

User Info Menu

Ever try these voicings? They seem to be a step closer to the piano than some others commonly used by guitarists.

Piano Players for inspiration?-pianistic-chords-1-001-jpgPiano Players for inspiration?-pianistic-chords-2-001-jpgPiano Players for inspiration?-pianistic-chords-3-001-jpg

User Info Menu

My fingers hurt just looking at those.