D13
    E9b13 or CMa7#11/E
    F#m11b5
    CMa7#11/G or GMa13sus
    Ab7+(#9)
    Am6/9
    Bb+(9/b9/#11)
    B(phrygian)

Analyze a structure in relation to each root.
    Then try and put the chord in a context that supports each possible function in a simple way and see what you think. Keep what you like (and can remember).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Docbop, could you expand on this? Or point me in a direction where I could find some information on this.

Thanks.
    Bako covered it and I use two or three that I like you have experiment to find the ones you like. I leave the bass note to the bass player and just play the Maj7b5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    I think of m7b5 chords and maj7#11 (or maj7b5, whichever) chords as being in the same family, the same general sound, given some technicalities

F#m7b5 = F# A C E

Cmaj7 with a #11 instead of a natural fifth = C E F# B

so we have F# A C E and F# B C E

Many notes that are commonly voiced on each chord type are equally common for both.

The A is the b3 of F#m7b5 and the 13 of Cmaj7

The B is the 7 of Cma7 and the 11 of F#m7b5

G# is the natural 9 of F#m7b5 and the #5 of Cmaj7. In both cases you could view the most conventional parent scale as A melodic minor. Both a natural 9th on m7b5 and a #5 on maj7(#11) are characteristic pitches of their respective melodic minor modes.

D is the 9th of Cma7 and the b6 of F#m7b5

On paper, G might seem to be the least congruent note as it's the fifth of C but the b9 of F#m7b5, not generally thought of as a conventional tension for m7b5. However, it can easily be part of a sequence from the locrian mode, and I think McCoy Tyner's comping on Inner Urge has a bit of that, last time I checked. Both F# locrian and C lydian are within the same key center.

Thanks for the reply. I really didn't think of it that way. It does give me a new perspective on how to look at it.