The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Maybe I should've wrote, specific type of comping...
    What I mean is, the application is going to be determined by the role in the band; so playing rhythm guitar in a big band is one thing, filling the pianists role in a small combo is another, and playing in a duo situation with a singer or horn is yet another.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM
    Maybe I should've wrote, specific type of comping...
    What I mean is, the application is going to be determined by the role in the band; so playing rhythm guitar in a big band is one thing, filling the pianists role in a small combo is another, and playing in a duo situation with a singer or horn is yet another.
    Ah, gotcha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Check out a record called the hawk flies high...coleman hawkins...i can hear Freddie pretty good on that one.
    Mr. B., I think it was Barry Galbraith who played the guitar on that date.

/ Tony

User Info Menu

Here's another one:

/ Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tony
    Mr. B., I think it was Barry Galbraith who played the guitar on that date.

/ Tony
    You are correct, my memory fails me...

Did Freddie ever play with a smaller group?

User Info Menu

learning jazz can be similar to learning a language. immerse yourself in it and listen to different approaches—duos, big bands, combos. … my sense of swing was developed by my assimilating bits of everything i like—including drums, bass, big-band horn sections, and piano comping.

if someone were to ask you how to play rock guitar, i'll bet you wouldn't tell him to simply listen to the ramones and the who. …

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patskywriter
    learning jazz can be similar to learning a language. immerse yourself in it and listen to different approaches—duos, big bands, combos. … my sense of swing was developed by my assimilating bits of everything i like—including drums, bass, big-band horn sections, and piano comping.

if someone were to ask you how to play rock guitar, i'll bet you wouldn't tell him to simply listen to the ramones and the who. …
    Big +1...

Or tell them to listen to keyboard players...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Did Freddie ever play with a smaller group?
    A bunch. To start with, he did whenever Basie recorded with just a small combo and there are many of those around.

He also notably did a recording session in October 1940 with the Benny Goodman Septet; the session included Basie, Charlie Christian, Lester Young, Buck Clayton, Walter Page and Jo Jones. They recorded six tunes that day. The two leaders where considering disbandment at the time and were contemplating reforming as small group. I think that while the negotiations where going on, these recordings were to remain secret. The project never materialized and the takes from that session were forgotten until the 1970s when they were found by John Hammond's recent ex-wife (she was clearing out John's stuff out of the apartment following the divorce).

Some other recordings where Freddie played with a small band:

• Several recordings with the Kansas City 5, 6 and 7 between 1938 and 1944
    • Several albums in 1955 with Joe Newman and Al Cohn: Lullaby Of Birdland, Mr. Rhythm (led by Freddie), The Jazz Workshop's Four Brass One Tenor, Joe Newman's I'm Still Swinging and All I Wanna Do Is Swing, Al Cohn's The Natural Seven
    • The 1956 album Jazz For Playboys with Frank Wess, Joe Newman and Kenny Burrell
    • Eddie Vinson's 1957 Clean Head's Back In Town
    • 1957 Monday Stroll (Kenny Burrell with Frank Wess)
    • 1975 Rhythm Willie (Herb Ellis & Freddie Green)
    • Judy Carmichael's 1980 Two-Handed Stride
    • Swing Reunion (1985)

There are many more not mentioned here. The size of the bands on those that I mentioned above go from quartets to octets.
    Last edited by Eddie Lang; 11-24-2012 at 02:14 PM.