Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

Newbie! Satan Takes a Holiday?

Does anybody know where one might be able to obtain the music, sheet music, chord progressions...
    For: Satan Takes a Holiday, written 1937, by Larry Clinton.
    Any ideas or comments regarding the structure of these early on the cusp jazz tunes are welcome.

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Mr77FM View Post
    Does anybody know where one might be able to obtain the music, sheet music, chord progressions...
    For: Satan Takes a Holiday, written 1937, by Larry Clinton.
    Any ideas or comments regarding the structure of these early on the cusp jazz tunes are welcome.
    I'll send you the handwritten sheet by PM.

Thanks. I have no trouble reading this. The chord progressions within this work are outstanding.

Thanks. I have no trouble reading this. The chord progressions within this work are outstanding.
    You are welcome sir.

I am not acquanted with the song but find the title quite enticing. Would it be possible to send me a copy of it too? Thanks 0zoro

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro View Post
    I am not acquanted with the song but find the title quite enticing. Would it be possible to send me a copy of it too? Thanks 0zoro
    That's OK Ozoro. I'll send it to you by PM.

I love that song.

Gerard, would you mind sending me a copy too? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang View Post
    I love that song.

Gerard, would you mind sending me a copy too? Thanks.
    Of course my friend.

To add a bit of spookiness that goes well with the subject matter, I play a descending chromatic bass from D to A while chording the A part.

can i get a copy of that chart. been looking for it for a while. much appreciated.

I would like a copy of that as well, what a great tune.

I was unfamiliar with this tune title.
    Is this the right tune?

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

@Mark, as best as I could follow the melody, it appears the above link to "Satan Takes a Holiday" is correct.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Ahhh - those Jazz guys are just makin' that stuff up!" - Homer Simpson

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Yes that is the correct tune. I have not done much posting on forums, I thought I was replying to " Gerrard45" who has a hand written set of chords for that tune. I may have replied to the wrong person.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Yes that is the correct tune. I have not done much posting on forums, I thought I was replying to " Gerrard45" who has a hand written set of chords for that tune. I may have replied to the wrong person.
    I suspect he got the message.
    When you wish to reply to a specific person, click on "Reply With Quote" in the bottom right border of the post you wish to reply to. The quote will contain the name of the member you wish to address. (You can edit the quote down to a specific line or phrase if it is long and you wish to focus on only one point.)

Sometimes this is not necessary. (In this case, your meaning is clear.) But other times, when many people are talking, it can lead to confusion.

When there is no quote in your reply, it is assumed you are talking to everyone. Say the subject is a particular player and you post, "Ah, this is the first thing I heard him do and I've always loved it," then add a link, it's not a comment addressed to a specific person. On the other hand, if you---not that you would--say, "Are you nuts?" well, people need to be clear who "you" is. ;o)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

This was my first exposure to the song. Back in the dark ages of vinyl.

[/VIDEO]

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    This was my first exposure to the song. Back in the dark ages of vinyl.
    O, man, that's the stuff! Thanks.
    Frank Vignola

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard45 View Post
    Of course my friend.
    That is a great song, I would love the chords. Would you send me a copy as well?

If you or anyone could tell me how to upload a file here or to your PM, I will send you a chart.

edh

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by edh View Post
    If you or anyone could tell me how to upload a file here or to your PM, I will send you a chart.

edh
    If you have it saved as a file, you should be able to copy and paste it into the PM.

Here it is...finally figured out how to attach a file.

edh
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by edh; 07-28-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Hi there the TXT format comes out with rows of many letters. do u have a jpg version of it as it doesn't appear right on an iPad. Thanks!

Hi Gerard
    No one else has asked so I assume the reason why I'm asking is I'm a bit thick but what do you mean by chords 7Dm7 7Bb7 5Dm
    is it that in the first two chords above the 7th is in the treble and likewise with5Dm the 5 is in the treble?

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed