The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

[quote=Claudi;17965]Well, if the bass plays the roots and the piano is duplicating the harmony then I suppose that the piano plays the 3rds and the fifths and maybe some other grade, right?
    That way you could play 9ths, 4rths or 11ths, 6ths or 13ths and 7ths.

Hi,
    Just wanted to comment here. If we're talking jazz like I think you are upon seeing all the alterations you're talking about, the 5th can be left out. Claudi says that 7ths can be played by you along with 9, 11, 13, etc....

In jazz 99% of the time we use 7th chords, so the 7th MUST be present. It's the 5th you can leave out (except on half-dim and dim7 chords). The 7th is not considered in jazz as an extensio or alteration IT IS PART OF THE CHOR...a chord tone.

Personally if I have the players you talk about in your group, this is what I do: Bass: roots & 5ths (walking, etc...) Piano: 3rds ,7ths, Gtr: ext's and alt's but with 3rds and/or 7th's on lower strings to create cohesion between piano and guitar. Remember if it sounds good then do it. Let your ear be the judge.
    Happy holidays,
    Robert

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Claudi
    Hi, again!

I agree with you a22, but I'd suggest to doc_rice to have some talk with the pianist because I don't think he will always play roots, 3rds and 5ths. Probably he will play some 7ths or 9ths or whatever.
    Hi, Robjzgtr!
    Maybe you did't read this second post of mine. I'm not a profi at all in jazz but just wanted to give some single idea to the question.
    Even I finished my first posting in this thread by saying " Sure someone else will complete the answer". This way I'm saying that m answer is very simple.