The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I just put up some examples of chord clusters that require two hands to fret (not tap) and was wondering if I could get some feedback on it.

I also have a Blog that's full of two hand chords, chord exercises, and originals using the same technique. I'm very interested in observations and suggestions.

twohandguitarvoicings

Thanks,

Steve Montgomery

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool sounds...I can see them working for intro or endings, although it does look pretty tough to pull off in real time.

User Info Menu

Thanks for checking it out. Yeah, you're about the chord clusters being easier to handle for intros and endings, and I currently don't have the chops to use them in an up tempo comping context, but I use them (and two hand chords that aren't clusters) all the time for originals and arrangements.

Check my tune "Be" or "Lulu by Carlight"; they are both composed of nothing but two hand voicings:

twohandguitarvoicings

It's just a matter of what a tool can be used for and how much you want to develop it. Like all the folks that are really good at tapping or artificial harmonics; they have a tool that accomplishes some things, but not others, and also has a limitation to its uses.

User Info Menu

My cousin an I have been working on some 3 handed fingerings that sound pretty awesome.

User Info Menu

I like it. Sean McGowan does a lot of things like this within his arrangements as well as improv:

seanmcgowanguitar.com

User Info Menu

Thanks for the Sean McGowan link. I hadn't heard of him before. Nice stuff.

User Info Menu

Hey Cosmic Gumbo,

Can you describe one of the 3 hand chords (like notes, frets, technique used)? Sounds interesting.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Aw I recognize that demented 13th voicing from shredding with the Trane.

LOL

User Info Menu

This is truly painful to witness, on more than one level. I think what you're trying to say is it's all in the the kind of guitar you're playing.

User Info Menu

Hey Steve, interesting. Made me think of a partial capo. Could have a capo that just does a few strings. Has anybody ever made one? Or even a capo that worked on more than one fret. Or multiple such capos. Not sure if that is something that interests you, but this made me think of it.

User Info Menu

Yeah, someone does (or did) make a product that was basically an adjustable, partial capo. I think it was mostly intended for beginners. It fit over the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd frets. You pushed on a button for a C chord and it made little pads come down that pressed the right notes for you. Kinda like painting by numbers, huh. But I've never seen any one with a more sophisticated version of the same idea.

The composer Carl Ruggles used to write atonal music for "prepared" piano. He would put stuff on certain strings of the piano to change their sound and, I think, their pitch also. Similar to the idea of using a capo in various ways.

By the way, that's an interesting comparison you made between two hand guitar chording and the use of a capo. I never thought of it that way.

User Info Menu

I have messed around with this technique a bit, I think it's really interesting. It is tough to get any sort of tempo happening. One thing I explored a bit was using the remaining right hand fingers to fingerpick, and changing just one or two notes of the chord at a time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jster
    Hey Steve, interesting. Made me think of a partial capo. Could have a capo that just does a few strings. Has anybody ever made one? Or even a capo that worked on more than one fret. Or multiple such capos. Not sure if that is something that interests you, but this made me think of it.
    Types of Partial Capos

Last edited by RyanM; 08-08-2012 at 05:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeppers. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for Mr. Montgomery's reaction.

User Info Menu

Well, first off, I try to honor Pythagoras everyday for claiming to be able to hear the "music of the spheres" and second, yeah, that's pretty cool.

User Info Menu

doesn't Stanlely Jordon use two hand voicings?

User Info Menu

Sure, him and a million others do, and very well. The big difference is in whether you tap or not. Tapping gains speed. I don't tap, I just like the tone better of finger on string (I don't use a pick). Also, for the many things Jordan can do, his main focus (not his only focus) has been on independece to solo over his own comping, like a piano player (which I believe was his first instrument). But, though he does some very nice chordal things, big, thick, jazz chords, as far as I'm aware, hasn't been where he generally wants to take his skills. My interest isn't really in performance now days, I'm more into exploring what can be done chordally and compositionally with two hand chords that don't require tapping.
    Last edited by Steve Montgomery; 08-08-2012 at 08:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow, thank you Steve for your great blog, very interesting ideas and beautiful music (well, isn't is the most important thing after all ?).

These days my hands make me suffer (I'm very afraid about it...) so I'm not too sure I will try your voicings right now, but I really hope I'll be able to do so soon.

Thank you jseaberry for the Sean McGowan link, that makes me want to play more fingerstyle.

Cheers guys

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments. Also, what's up with your hands? Hopefully not carpal tunnel. For a long time I thought I had it, but it turns out I have a condition they call "early onset of essential tremor" which means my hands go into a kind of a vibrato without my attempting to do so.

There's another condition instrumentalists can get called "repitition syndrome" which comes from repeated motions of the fingers that wears down the cartlidge causing nerves to missfire (I think that's how I works).

User Info Menu

Thanks for caring

Well as far as I have read about the symptoms, it doesn't really look like the carpal tunnel. I have a very bad habit : I (really) often "crack" my fingers, so I guess this doesn't help. But I'm not too old (34) so I don't think it's arthritis. Anyway I will ask my doctor because, as a guitarist, it's frightening to think that this could deeply impact my guitar playing...

I'll let you know if I have news, have a good evening everybody

User Info Menu

Quelda, are your symptoms symmetric? Or is it mostly in one hand. If it is mostly in one hand, then I would think the guitar was the cause. If it is in both hands, then the cracking may be the problem. About 18 months ago, I started to develop CT from the computer mouse. I swtiched to the other hand, started doing muscle exercises, and started taking vitamin B6. The problem has now gone away.

One really should not take one doctor's word for anything. Very recently I had a problem with my teeth. But the dentist told me all was fine. But the pain continued, so I read everything I could and figured out what the problem was. I switched dentists and got treatment and my diagnosis was correct. Morover, the first dentist really should have been able to tell what the problem was.

If it is early stages of CT, there are probably a lot of things you could do. B6, exercises, rotating guitars with different kinds of neck, switching position to John Stowell style, etc. Find the repetition and break it.

User Info Menu

Good comments from jster. I would add assessing how and what you play. In other words, are you currently playing lots of material with big stretches, or big chords that require lots of pressure, or especially demanding single note work? What style of guitar playing is most of your playing done in? Do you warm up sufficiently? Do you feel strained at times while playing? What's your posture like when you play? All of these questions/answers are definently contributing factors.

User Info Menu

Hello, well my symptoms are quite symmetric but a bit more on the left hand. I felt my hands were not in good shapes some time ago, but last week I forced a bit with my left hand and since then it got worse.

Your advices are very good, for example I never warm up and now I definitely will, my posture is totally wrong (like playing slumped on the couch) but I often use a small guitar so it is not too restrictive.

And jster you are right : I work on a computer all day and feel pain (not too much) hey) when using the mouse and the keyboard. Those are elements I will work on, as well as relaxing muscles and trying to stop cracking as much as possible. I sometimes play my small guitar much like Stowell and it really relieves a lot of stress.

Your testimonies are very helpful and give me hope, which I guess may be a big part for a good healing.

Thanks again guys and keep on creating beauty with your guitars !