The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Here's a brand new video lesson I made. I go over lots of my favorite "modal jazz" voicings and grips (though they work great in functional tunes). You'll see and hear lots of superimposed pentatonic "So What" harmonies, P4 triads, clusters, and partial drop 2's. I also noodle over the shapes to illustrate how my grip vocabulary affects my choice of notes, etc. Hope you dig it!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Text from my site on this lesson:

In this 20 minute video I explore some of the chord-scale possibilities within the basic diatonic modes (all of the examples were played in the key signature of C Major (no sharps or flats besides the embellishing accidentals). My personal approach blends basic chord-tones with superimposed triads and pentatonic scales (all "inside"). I do not demonstratively run CAGED or 3-notes-perstring scales in my playing whatsoever; instead, I focus on smaller "grips" that engage my ear to find the sounds I am seeking. Besides that, I hope my thinking-out-loud duologue and the improvisations will speak for themselves and inspire you experiment for yourself. The voicing grips I used are all in the back of the book (with a few exceptions); I suggest pausing the video if you hear anything that you want to add to your vocabulary.

Also, I recently posted this quick explanation of "superimposed triads" (or "triad pairs") on a jazz guitar forum. You may find it interesting and/or helpful. The written example is in the key signature of G Major (one sharp). Here it is...

The idea becomes clear (and arguably redundant) once you get the bigger picture of tertiary harmony (harmony based on stacked 3rd intervals - major and minor). The word polychord is often used to describe the multiple triads found within seventh chords and extended chords.

Look at Cmaj13#11 the chord. It is C E G B D F# A, the R M3 P5 M7 M9 #11 M13. Rearranged alphabetically it is the same pitch collection as C Lydian ( C D E F# G A B). BTW that is the basis of chord-scale thinking (that extended chords are very close to scales).

If you look at the Cmaj13#11 in triadic groupings you'll "see" triads stacked (superimposed) on top of each other. I will bold text them here:

C E G B D F# A = C Major Triad
    C E G B D F# A = E Minor Triad
    C E G B D F# A = G Major Triad
    C E G B D F# A = B Minor Triad
    C E G B D F# A = D Major Triad
    Notes repeated/inverted:
    C E G B D F# A C = F# Dim. Triad
    C E G B D F# A C E = A Minor Triad

By playing these over an existing Cmaj13#11 (or suggestion of one) you are emphasizing the intervals that they represent in the Gestalt of Cmaj13#11. For example, by playing a D Major triad (in any inversion) over Cmaj13#11, you are bringing the M9 #11 and M13 tones to the forefront. That's about it! Look at the chords and scales you know and play the triads you see within.

This is essentially what happens when we superimpose pentatonic scales over existing harmonies; the five-notes in the chosen scale emphasize certain intervals (and de-emphasize others). For example, B Minor/D Major pentatonic over Cmaj7#11 brings out the M3 M7 M9 #11 and M13 while de-emphasising the Root and P5. Like triads, pentatonic scales sound cohesive and strong- they are one of the fundamental structures within harmony.

User Info Menu

Also this lesson will help with learning the basic triad shapes over the full fretboard.

From page 16 in the book: "[Tertian] Triads are some of harmony’s most solid structures. There are interesting explanations based on the sciences of acoustics and cognitive musicology as to why they generally sound good to the human ear. “Triumphant” sounding major triads exist in the overtone series of what we think of as a single musical tone. Deviations from the major triad seem to create a sort of conflict leading to an emotional response. By lowering the third we get a minor “melancholy” sounding triad. By altering the notes further in diminished triads and augmented triads we get more complex and evocative sounds that are somewhat difficult to describe in words.

Simple triads (especially major and minor) make up a huge percentage of the underlying harmony in Western music. Even in harmonically advanced music, triads are used in clever ways to create a variety of lush sounds and gripping dissonances. As this book goes on, and as you continue to play music, you will begin to spot triads left and right. They are almost everywhere, from three-chord campfire songs to jazzy upper-structure polychords."

This lesson covers voice-leading with basic major and minor triads on the guitar fretboard (something that page 18 is notorious for confusing students over!). After showing the basic method of overlapping the shapes, I play some country-folk style chord-tone-based improvisations that outline and address the basic triad tones. I also dabble with basic triadic superimposition, D minor triads over G7 (G Mixolydian) to outline G9, etc.
    More lessons here, and the printable fretboard triads page: Free Video Lessons - Chord-Scale Theory and Linear Harmony for Guitar: Creative Tools for Improvisation and Composition in Contemporary MusicJonathan "JonnyPac" Pac Cantin - Guitarist - Composer - Artist - Educator

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Anybody sit through these yet?

User Info Menu

Jonny,

You guys (I am referring to you members that share your expertise and give free lessons) throw so much good stuff at us that it takes time to get to through it all. I sampled your first video and heard some nice sounds and also got some good ideas on how and when to reach for the upper structure notes when playing solos.

I will definitely hit that triad lesson because my view of arpeggios requires a good knowledge of triads. But I won't be seeing it today.

Thanks and please leave it up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPac
    Anybody sit through these yet?
    Hmm... Sorry I don't mean to complain. I really tried wathcing some of your vids but I just can't. Your voice is recorded rather low and this beat box thing pretty loud. But don't take it to seriously. I personally have a problem with noise and verbal communication, so maybe it's just me. Just can't keep focus on what is being said when there is too much noise. Especially when we're talking my 2nd or 3rd language....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aniss1001
    Hmm... Sorry I don't mean to complain. I really tried wathcing some of your vids but I just can't. Your voice is recorded rather low and this beat box thing pretty loud. But don't take it to seriously. I personally have a problem with noise and verbal communication, so maybe it's just me. Just can't keep focus on what is being said when there is too much noise. Especially when we're talking my 2nd or 3rd language....
    Too bad. I just borrowed a video camera and did these thinking-out-loud lessons without a ton of technical preparation- I hope some people can get though it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Jonny,

You guys (I am referring to you members that share your expertise and give free lessons) throw so much good stuff at us that it takes time to get to through it all. I sampled your first video and heard some nice sounds and also got some good ideas on how and when to reach for the upper structure notes when playing solos.

I will definitely hit that triad lesson because my view of arpeggios requires a good knowledge of triads. But I won't be seeing it today.

Thanks and please leave it up!
    Will do- I hope you enjoy it for whatever it's worth! Let me know- Thanks!

User Info Menu

Hey Jonny
    Thanks heaps for your videos.
    I liked your
    succinct and clear way of showing how the triads can
    be accessed....Great stuff!......Specially when you consider
    how many [dozens?] of pages Bill Leavitt gave to this topic.
    My only suggestion, which I offer since aniss1001 mentioned it;
    is that perhaps you could mute the keyboard sound while you explain
    and demonstrate the idea you're dealing with.
    I too, found it took some effort to tune out the repetitive sound,
    so I could concentrate on your words/musical demos.
    Got a footswitch for that thing? Kick it in and out...or maybe use your loop pedal.
    I really dig your teaching style....You're a natural bro.
    ....What I like to call "serious fun"!
    Gonna get me a copy of that book pretty soon.

User Info Menu

Hey thanks! I'll need to tame my omnichord down a bit! That thing is something a warm-up to every day so I hardly notice it anymore- like a clock or fridge running. I'll be more aware of volumes if I ever get around to making more lessons. BTW he basic triad lesson, meter/beats lessons, and interval lesson are without any distracting devices.

Thanks for the feedback.

User Info Menu

Here are some of my favorite voicings!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hey Jonny hope all is well!! I got a copy of your book a few years years ago and so far it has help me immensely with my understanding of the neck and harmony. I’ve really been digging into it lately. I seen you had these videos up and they are great aids in hearing what is being presented while learning the material. I’ve been trying to wrap my brain and fingers around the ‘So What” harmony sections and for the most part can play and generate these voicings from there respected pentatonic vocabulary. Where things turn gray for me is soloing and creating lines with them. In the video you reference “outlining” with them. I am still playing in the box with the pentatonics and like you said sounds rather stale. Are there triads I should work on outlining with them or rather outline the grips presented in the book. I just don’t want to develop any more bad habits through my journey. Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards

User Info Menu

JonnyPac...there's a guy I miss.

Neon, I can't answer for Jonny and he hasn't been around here in years...

My only advice would be to use the notes in those shapes to create melody. In other words, build something with those notes, create a motif you can develop, be interesting rhythmically.

And chromatic approaches and enclosures ate always cool, even when playing "modally."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

My only advice would be to use the notes in those shapes to create melody. In other words, build something with those notes, create a motif you can develop, be interesting rhythmically.

And chromatic approaches and enclosures ate always cool, even when playing "modally."
    Last I checked, Ol JonnyPac was creating board games as his passion. He was an interesting soul and was part of my intro to the Jazz Guitar world. I hope he is content and full of joy.

User Info Menu

Is his book still available?
    thanks!

User Info Menu

Awesome!! Thank you for your insights. I’m just now picking it up again after some recent inspiration (fellow musician passing he would have wanted me to keep playing) and I’m finding that I’m getting a lot of good use out of these recent findings it just takes good ol’ work on my part. I’m trying to be like rolling water these days with my guitar playing and flow in the path of least resistance. Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

Hi guys! Long time. I got emailed that a dead thread done come back to life.

Yeah, I've gone into board game design full time. It's great. Besides that I still teach private guitar/bass lessons here and there. I also gig with my jazz quartet called "Sucks to your jazzmar!" about twice a month. I have been playing upright bass with them mostly. But I still jump on guitar from time to time.

My old book is out of print, but I can email you a PDF if you want. Free. Otherwise just DL it from a file sharing source—I won't tell... heehee

Thanks for the kind words and wishes. That was nice to see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NeonDreamz
    Hey Jonny hope all is well!! I got a copy of your book a few years years ago and so far it has help me immensely with my understanding of the neck and harmony. I’ve really been digging into it lately. I seen you had these videos up and they are great aids in hearing what is being presented while learning the material. I’ve been trying to wrap my brain and fingers around the ‘So What” harmony sections and for the most part can play and generate these voicings from there respected pentatonic vocabulary. Where things turn gray for me is soloing and creating lines with them. In the video you reference “outlining” with them. I am still playing in the box with the pentatonics and like you said sounds rather stale. Are there triads I should work on outlining with them or rather outline the grips presented in the book. I just don’t want to develop any more bad habits through my journey. Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Thank you. Yeah. Outlining triads is probably the best thing anyone can do to sound good to most ears, honestly. Even within pentatonics you can outline the major and minor triads within. That gets you away from the pentatonic "box" sound pretty quickly.

Other things to outline are "quartal" triads and tetrads. Like the notes E A D (or E A D G, tetrad), then invert them A D E and D E A. Those last ones are pretty nice sounding... A 4th then a whole-step, or whole-step then a jump up a 4th. Very Coltrane's Love Supreme era like. Mike Moreno and a lot of modern players use little chunks like that too, superimposed over various harmonies. I also like the way they sit on the fretboard—Perfect for economy picking styles. Hope that inspires some ideas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Hi Mr. B!

I totally agree. Use connectors, enclosures, all that. Motifs. Yes. Triads. Quartals.

Maybe listen to Woody Shaw, Coltrane Quartet (Love Supreme era), Bill Evans, and "modern" guitar dudes like Metheny and Moreno. They are really clever with their use of this kind of content.

User Info Menu

Here's a link where you can DL the PDF of my old book. Enjoy.

Chord_Scale_Theory_and_Linear_Harmony_for_Guitar_B ook_by_Jonathan_Pac_Cantin.pdf - Google Drive

You can also print in on standard paper, doubled-sided, black and white. 50 sheets.

I hope you find some useful stuff buried in there!

User Info Menu

Woooo... the magic of thread resurrection. Cool stuff JonnyPac. I'm a little surprised I didn't come across this thread when you posted it. That's probably right around when I started hanging in these parts, and the whole triad approach is right up my alley. Great stuff man!

Go team triad! hahah

User Info Menu

Awesome Jonny!!! That has cleared up a lot for me. I sometimes get “paralysis through analysis” going and get stuck on subject matter and end up down the rabbit hole. Let me tell you after alot of searching there is not a lot of information on this kind of stuff mish-mash at best. This makes a lot of sense and I’m already starting to see the benefits in my playing regarding “lines”. I realized the pentatonic scales were merely chord-tones with an extra note added to the mix.

Ex. D minor pentatonic = D minor and F major triads or D minor 7 arpeggio with an added 4/11.

This idea alone got me thinking outside the “Boxes” and what notes to target. Also I’ve been doing some cool stuff regarding superimposition of pentatonics using the “So What” triad grips but rather voicing all those 4ths on adjacent strings I’m swapping the bottom note for top and top for bottom creating “quintal” triads. It’s definitely generating some modern sounding leads for me especially when picked fast with Hi-Gain and ripping up 1/2 of the stale pentatonic pattern that way. So much you can do with those grips!!

i teach a bit out here in the mid-west mostly beginners and supplement these younger guys with your methods as well as Michael Hoffman’s “SeriousGuitar”. I just want to make sure these guys have the proper groundwork laid from the get-go and you’ve really done a great service with CST and Linear Harmony it’s very clear and methodical. I”ll continue to direct the laymen’s out there to your work. I can tell you’ve put great care into it. Keep kicking butt!

Thanks again for a lifetime of material!! All the best
    Last edited by NeonDreamz; 06-21-2019 at 12:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you're on a roll! Thanks again for your support. Glad the info is useful.