The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    RIP Mickey Baker. I just read he died in Paris today, age 87.
    he isn't died in Paris but near Toulouse where he lives.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

At least he lived the life. Appart from what I wrote in another thread, once, some 30 years ago, I got Kicking Mule 3LP box set, 1. Stephen Grossman Delta Blues; 2. Flatpicking guitar festival. 3. Mickey Baker Jazz Funk guitar (or similar), all 3 with tabs. One of blues songs I learned completely, flatpicking had it's uses, I learned from it, although never a complete song. Mickey Baker, I could not listen to that music at the time.

It was this album by Mickey:

The blues I learned and long forgot was this one:
    Last edited by Vladan; 11-28-2012 at 12:57 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm just making it to lesson 17. I've tried going through the real book to find standards to apply what I've "learned" to some tunes and im finding myself overwhelmed. It says to find 4 or 5 songs to begin with.
    Im either being too critical or just not getting how to apply.

Any suggestions as to what to begin with. Better yet, are there any sites or resources that show before and after examples?

Quote Originally Posted by d115
    I'm just making it to lesson 17. I've tried going through the real book to find standards to apply what I've "learned" to some tunes and im finding myself overwhelmed. It says to find 4 or 5 songs to begin with.

Any suggestions as to what to begin with. Better yet, are there any sites or resources that show before and after examples?
    The real book is already "done". The changes are already elaborated somewhat . Google "vanilla changes". They have more sparse chord changes like you would have had before the real book was a thing. That's the kind of changes the book assumes, being an older one.

You can't really "fill out" changes which are already filled out.

User Info Menu

Thank you. That helped a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d115

I've done a few and you can see the charts on this thread: Mickey Baker Course 1 - mp3s and videos

On these videos I increase the number of substitutions/embelishments as the videos continued. Also see my extra chords that Mickey didn't include but are necessary to play many charts, mainly m7b5 chords.

Autumn Leaves:

All of Me: