The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    This comes from the classical theory term parallel motion. In classical theory if two voices move and keep the same relation to each other then they are said to be in parallel motion:]
    I feel kind of dumb now... I definitely new that. Thanks for refreshing. Great examples too, I knew contrary motion from my (brief) study of classical music but the other two are new. Thanks again.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

'By the way, have you seen this transcription of your outstanding work??'

Yes I saw this. In fact i put a soundclip up on the soundclip page and a link to Petri's page for his transcription of it. It has all the things we are talking about but it is a little tough to play in places if you're not used to those kind of voicings.

Best

Mike

User Info Menu

Speaking of Polka Dots... I was just wondering what is the most common key you guys play it in? I might be playing it an upcoming jam and have found it in a few keys...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor
    Hi - Is a G7#5b9 just an Fm7b5??

Sailor

Actually no - it would be the same as Fm7b5/G which is NOT the same as Fm7b5.

And if you want to look at the substitution then, you have to say that Fm7b5 is also = to G7+5-9/F (or viceversa).

User Info Menu

AS for parallelism, there is a difference between leading tones in arranging for Orchestra, Voices and playing jazz on a guitar, piano, etc...

There are issues involving overtones and harmonics which have to be dealt with when writing for Orchestra. Strings, especially. Same for choral work.

In jazz we can judiciously use 4ths and 5ths when writing for horns but even then, there is a way to do it and when to do it...

Us guitar players of course can do anything we want!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor
    Do you have jazz knowledge of parallelism? i.e, in classical voice leading/counterpoint we were taught composers avoided parallel 4ths and 5ths, (up until Debussy,etc...) I was wondering if jazz players intentionally avoid parallel voice leading; does this sound bad or good,modern.
    Another thing avoided in classical voice leading/counterpoint is tritones. They called it "the devil in music" (diabolus in musica): Tritone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but we just love them in Jazz, eh?