The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 52

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    CFGE is a Bill Evans rootless voicing as well (Dmi11). You can hear it in "The Two Lonely People" and "Funkalero"

One you may not easily find is C E#(f) Gb (f#) Eb which makes a nice rootless D7 +/- 9. Move that one through the HW symmetrical scale.

Do yourself a favor and keep expanding on the idea by taking one form and add a bass note, moving the bass note through the chromatic scale to see what you get. Not every chord will be a winner but you will find a few very usable ones. You should do this with quartal and quintal chords as well. I found this voicing ( A E B F# G# - 6 4 3 2 1) that way.

BTW when I say you should I mean it in the 'one should' sense. I don't mean you specifically.
    Haha you should note that these chords require some crazy stretching, which I'm still not used to. Once I get these under my fingers I'll add roots other than open A and E strings.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    Guitar World released a DVD of Vic teaching called "Vic Juris: All That Jazz" back in October, 2010. I've seen some clips on their YouTube site and it looks awesome. It costs about 15 bucks and it's over 90 minutes long; Barnes/Noble and Amazon both have it but for some reason I couldn't find it on the Guitar World site. Like Jake says, the guy is hilarious and humble. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this today. His tone is great and his presence as a teacher puts you at ease.

And man, some of the stuff in the chord book is so hard for me to grab! I may get tendonitis from some of them.
    I'd recommend the book, the pdf hand out downloads that come with it are worth the price of the dvd alone. I recently re-watched it with my guitar on my lap and came up with all sorts of things to practice out of it.

User Info Menu

Well I thought I would do my first post on the site. I have been a huge Vic Juris fan for years and this great thread made me go on to Amazon and purchase the All That Jazz DVD and the Modern Harmony book. When I went to check out my grand total was $4.80......apparently I had an existing Amazon gift card I had forgotten about. Love when that happens! I want to say hi and introduce myself.......I own a recording studio and do a ton of session work in the San Diego area.......any SD people out there. Keep up the great site!

User Info Menu

Hola, roflo. Welcome to the forums. Great luck for you with the gift card. I was not so lucky! Great book. I hope business is good in the studio.

Ohio here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roflo
    Well I thought I would do my first post on the site. I have been a huge Vic Juris fan for years and this great thread made me go on to Amazon and purchase the All That Jazz DVD and the Modern Harmony book. When I went to check out my grand total was $4.80......apparently I had an existing Amazon gift card I had forgotten about. Love when that happens! I want to say hi and introduce myself.......I own a recording studio and do a ton of session work in the San Diego area.......any SD people out there. Keep up the great site!
    Great choice on the book. I've seen/used many books in all the time I've been playing (about 11 years, kind of a long time for a 19 year old ) and this is definitely the top choice for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hanlon
    I'd recommend the book, the pdf hand out downloads that come with it are worth the price of the dvd alone. I recently re-watched it with my guitar on my lap and came up with all sorts of things to practice out of it.
    Just got this today Jake (thank you Borders: slower than the Pony Express).

You're right on the money; I started watching it and then when I saw the various indicators on the screen of where the printed examples would be, stopped and went to print out the PDF. It's 27 pages of material. Great stuff. I love the fact that he uses examples of the Beatles and Led Zepplin for voice leading, not just always focusing on jazz. I'm going to have the guitar and the printout with me when I sit down to watch it again.

For $14 bucks with the shipping it can't be beat.

User Info Menu

Just to be sure are we talking about the "Modern Chords:Advanced Harmony" for guitar?
    The thread title says "Modern Harmony", just making sure.

User Info Menu

Same book, I just messed up the book name

User Info Menu

I just finished watching the DVD and following along with the printout. Now I have to start really working through it. Vic's treatment of the blues is one of the best things I've ever seen/heard on an instructional video. Unreal.

The book doesn't really cover the same things so if you get both, you'll have a great deal to work on. All sorts of great, inspirational approaches to playing.

User Info Menu

I recieved the All that jazz DVD. Great DVD, but where do i find the PDF downloads to the DVD. It didnt come with any booklet and I dont see anywhere on the DVD to access any PDF documents downloads. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

User Info Menu

I recieved the All that jazz DVD. Great DVD, but where do i find the PDF downloads to the DVD. It didnt come with any booklet and I dont see anywhere on the DVD to access any PDF documents downloads. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    You have to put the DVD in the computer. I have Windows; I clicked the "Computer" icon and it shows what drives you have. Right click on the DVD drive and when the menu comes up, click "Explore". That's where you will find the PDF.

User Info Menu

Thanks pay now....found the PDF...man this is a wonderful Vid.

User Info Menu

Thanks pay now....found the PDF...man this is a wonderful Vid.
    Glad to be of help; it took me a while to find it too. I think it's mentioned on the DVD box but in pretty small print.

Yeah, it is great. I'm really getting a lot out of it.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, another thing for me to spend endless hours on.
    Cool sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    Guitar World released a DVD of Vic teaching called "Vic Juris: All That Jazz" back in October, 2010. I've seen some clips on their YouTube site and it looks awesome. It costs about 15 bucks and it's over 90 minutes long; Barnes/Noble and Amazon both have it but for some reason I couldn't find it on the Guitar World site. Like Jake says, the guy is hilarious and humble. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on this today. His tone is great and his presence as a teacher puts you at ease.

And man, some of the stuff in the chord book is so hard for me to grab! I may get tendonitis from some of them.
    Thanks for the heads up, that looks great. I just pulled the triger myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Thanks for the heads up, that looks great. I just pulled the triger myself.
    Frank, I think you will really get a great deal out of it. Congrats on getting better!

We should keep this thread going, as folks go through the DVD, we can try to help each other out with various aspects of it, or discuss them.

User Info Menu

I am thinking about getting it myself!

User Info Menu

I ordered the All That Jazz DVD after seeing some y-tube previews
    Should be here in a couple days. Very much looking forward to it.
    I had a private lesson with Corey Christiansen and play occasionally with a local guy that studies with Corey at Utah State. Both turned me on to Vic Juris. What a monster player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzrat
    I ordered the All That Jazz DVD after seeing some y-tube previews
    Should be here in a couple days. Very much looking forward to it.
    I had a private lesson with Corey Christiansen and play occasionally with a local guy that studies with Corey at Utah State. Both turned me on to Vic Juris. What a monster player.
    Yup. And that's high praise coming from Corey, who is also a monster with a lot of great instructional materials out. Doesn't he edit books for Mel Bay? I have a book of Clifford Brown style licks for guitar that I'm pretty sure he wrote/edited.

User Info Menu

Corey used to be one of the big cats at Mel Bay, but I do believe he's moved on from that and is focused on his gig with Utah. Corey is flat out burning, such a great player and seems to me like just a good all around Human being. The youtube videos he has with Fred Hamilton are a great little resource for people getting into Jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Doesn't he edit books for Mel Bay?
    He was very prolific at Mel Bay and a senior editor until 2007. Not sure he
    is still doing that. He is very active teaching and is listed at Utah State and
    Indiana University as an adjunct prof or some such thing.
    Those that can do, and those that can't teach.....He and Vic are gifted at both.

Vic was an amazing guitarist and teacher. He talks about that concept here in these lessons: Vic Juris - Artist Profile - My Music Masterclass

Also here is the link to the book: Vic Juris - Advanced Harmony for Guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by uschmidtguitar
    Vic was an amazing guitarist and teacher. He talks about that concept here in these lessons: Vic Juris - Artist Profile - My Music Masterclass

Also here is the link to the book: Vic Juris - Advanced Harmony for Guitar
    I had the pleasure of spending an afternoon playing with Vic in October 2019. We’d met before on a couple of occasions during one of my regular trips from Australia to NY and after hearing that he’d had health issues, I thought that if he was up for a short lesson I could help offset his medical costs.

Upon arrival, it was clear that Vic was already frail. We sat down and played Alone Together and he sounded as tremendous as ever. We finished and he said “You don’t need any lessons. You’re great!”. He then asked if I had any originals, so we spent the next hour playing each other’s tunes, a few more standards and reading through some Jimmy Wyble etudes. Despite his statement, the whole session was certainly a lesson for me. Unbelievably, I had to pressure Vic to take any payment!

Vic mentioned that he was working on another expanded harmony book but I’ve heard nothing further. I’m sure it would be excellent as his Modern Chords is stacked with more information than would be expected from such a slim volume.
    Last edited by PMB; 06-27-2022 at 06:25 AM.

User Info Menu

I have the book Modern Chords: Advanced Harmony for guitar. I don't understand Ex.16 pag.12, C Major - move root to. If someone also has the book maybe can explain it to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    I have the book Modern Chords: Advanced Harmony for guitar. I don't understand Ex.16 pag.12, C Major - move root to. If someone also has the book maybe can explain it to me.
    It's all about creating movement. In situations where a root has been stated at the outset or played by another instrument (bass for example), we can move that note around to different scale degrees and even introduce chromatic tension as in the final move of example 16 (down to the #5). The remaining notes of the triad, 3rd and 5th define the basic character of the chord.

Unfortunately, the tab in that example is a mess as it's completely out of alignment. Maybe that's the source of your confusion? Mel Bay never seems to hire proofreaders. The interviews compiled in their publication, Voices in Jazz Guitar is riddled with typos.