Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

"I thought about you" Looking for a correct leadsheet..

Anyone? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I don't know how correct it is, but I do have one. Send me your email address.

I thought about you

Is this what you want??

Cheers tom

Thanks everybody, I have now 4 different versions (thanks for mailing me FatJeff!), and how different they are!

Reminds me of Round Midnite, where you'll never find two players agreeing over on particular version... :-)

Well,but I'll find my way now into this tune... thanks again!

That's jazz brother--there is no "right way." That's liberating, once you come to terms with it.

The song has words, so YouTube some vocal versions to show you what those notes are saying. Granted, none of those singers will do it the same, but it's always good to know the words (if there are words), and to let them help you think about where you want to embellish, and where you want to "play it straight." My two cents.

My favorite version of this is John Pizzarelli's version on Kisses In The Rain. Just he and his guitar. He plays a chorus chord melody style in between verses. Very nice.

Martin Taylor does a great version with David Grisman on one of the Tone Poets or Tone Poems CDs. Grisman does a bit of the melody but Taylor pretty much carries the song.

I found this thread... maybe it's me, but I see no chords or links here... can anyone point a working one?

I was thread starter, didn't even remember, time flies ....

The best versions are in "New Real Book I" and "New Real Book II". Also in Hal Leonhard "Jazz of the 50s" and Hal L. "Real Jazz Book". Cant post them here, you'll understand.

But it's in numerous of the "gray" books like the aforementioned 557.

Here are three of them...

"I thought about you" Looking for a correct leadsheet..-i-thought-about-you-3-jpg
    "I thought about you" Looking for a correct leadsheet..-i-thought-about-you-2-jpg
    "I thought about you" Looking for a correct leadsheet..-i-thought-about-you-1-jpg

--- The ultimate answer to almost all guitar questions: "Practice more!" ---

Thanks for the answers, now I am going to distill a version based on them

That's quite interesting, there are also three backing tracks on YouTube. They have A7/D7 in the second bar.

Joe Pass and Kreisberg play two dominants in their versions. Ron Eschete too. Barry Greene's a bit indeterminate. It might be worthwhile checking out recorded versions.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    That's quite interesting, there are also three backing tracks on YouTube. They have A7/D7 in the second bar.

Joe Pass and Kreisberg play two dominants in their versions. Ron Eschete too. Barry Greene's a bit indeterminate. It might be worthwhile checking out recorded versions.
    Indeed those are great performances, and I tend to pick the dominant versions. Regarding the backing tracks, A7 is for Eb7 (or vica versa), but I like to hear the explicit chromatic sequence this case (Eb7, D7), which is a great pair for the 3rd and 4th bar |G7 Ab7| G7 |

They're all basically turnarounds to the ii chord (minor or dominant 7th). The simplest version would be Fmaj7 | F#o7 | and that can be substituted with any of the variants above. Try them all under the melody for the first two bars of Have You Met Miss Jones (usually played in the same key of F) and you'll hear how interchangeable these progressions can be. Sometimes tweaks may have to be made to the chords to accomodate the melody but not in this case. In fact, even the dominant II chord will work for HYMMJ. Two other tunes with similar openings are Easy Living and It Could Happen To You.
    Last edited by PMB; 10-24-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed