The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Not sure if such a device exist but I am looking for a thumbpick that fits over the top of the thumb and functions as an extended thumb naIl for playing single lines and bass notes as well as low chord notes. I have many thumb picks that play off of the side of the thumb ( like the position Wes would use if he played with a thumbpick instead of a callus on the side of his thumb), picks like Herco, Dunlop and others. What I’m really looking for is a pick that will allow me to alternate pick single lines with my thumb, down strokes and upstrokes, without any other fingers involved in holding the pick. Anybody aware of such a contraption? I have used acrylic and gel nails on my thumb and they work great but eventually they wear down and what’s left of the nail is too weak and thin and takes months to heal. I just think it can’t be healthy in the long run to do keep weakening my thumbnail and covering it up with Gel or acrylic. That’s why I’m looking for a thumbpick that can slide on and of and Play single note lines. Thanks for any thoughts.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Alaska Picks. Google for a reseller near you.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I use a thumbpick from time to time for acoustic fingerstyle things, and it doesn't work well for classical guitar. You have to change your wrist position, how you move your thumb, and thus, how you move the rest of your fingers. The movements definitely aren't optimal and will only drag you down in the long run. This isn't even mentioning how overpowering the thumb becomes or how there's less nuance to tone and volume.

User Info Menu

Even the Alaska pick requires significant modification of your technique. At least it did for me. I couldn’t make any thumbpick work, and I tried several.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coldstring
    I use a thumbpick from time to time for acoustic fingerstyle things, and it doesn't work well for classical guitar. You have to change your wrist position, how you move your thumb, and thus, how you move the rest of your fingers. The movements definitely aren't optimal and will only drag you down in the long run. This isn't even mentioning how overpowering the thumb becomes or how there's less nuance to tone and volume.
    thanks for the suggestions guys. I play a classical guitar but not classical music. My music is Brazilian and great American songbook. I have tried a couple of sets of Alaska picks and could not get them to sound good. Someone (sorry having all kinds of problems tonight and cannot find your post ) mentioned the Black Mountain picks. I just watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and the picks sound decent. But can you play tremolo with thumb only? That’s what I really need something to be able to do alternate picking with nothing more than the thumb and the pick.No other fingers.

has anyone tried those metal/wire finger picks? Can’t imagine they would sound good but who knows. I don’t know why it’s so hard to find a pick that can play strong without assistance from another finger. Thanks guys maybe we’re missing something out there.

User Info Menu

Well, that's what a thumbnail is for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Well, that's what a thumbnail is for.
    Yes if only they wouldn’t break just when they get to the right length.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TomDC
    Yes if only they wouldn’t break just when they get to the right length.
    Acrylic gel at your friendly local nail studio.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Acrylic gel at your friendly local nail studio.
    As mentioned in my original post acrylic and gel both work great but I no longer want to use them. That’s why I’m looking for a thumbpick that would give me the same capabilities.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TomDC
    As mentioned in my original post acrylic and gel both work great but I no longer want to use them. That’s why I’m looking for a thumbpick that would give me the same capabilities.
    The only one I know of that uses the tip of the thumb rather than the side is: Butterfly Finger Picks

But they don't work for me and may not be available any more. I have been visiting the nail studio every three weeks for about twenty years without ill effects.