The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

Here is the famous prelude from BWV 1007, the first cello suite. Alan not only adds the implied bass line, as others have done, but additionally fills out the inner voices, approaching how a period keyboardist would have approached the piece

And on his new album he does the same thing with the famous violin chaccone

Here is Alan discussing his approach

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for that, seems like a nice project, and a lot of good hard work.

I still prefer the sound of the original, or rather transcription of the original. Irina Kulikova’s version on YouTube is tough to beat.

User Info Menu

Irina Kulikova's version is indeed jaw-droppingly good!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    Thanks for that, seems like a nice project, and a lot of good hard work.

I still prefer the sound of the original, or rather transcription of the original. Irina Kulikova’s version on YouTube is tough to beat.
    she’s a fine player, took a master class with her once - mother was a cellist if I recall correctly. But nothing special - plays it like every other CG player does

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    she’s a fine player, took a master class with her once - mother was a cellist if I recall correctly. But nothing special - plays it like every other CG player does
    Alan is a great player.

User Info Menu

Of course she's special, and the classical guitar world recognizes her as such. I've seen her on tour(s) a long, long way from her home. She tells a humorous story about her mother, the cello, and the guitar.

Her Bach performance was splendid indeed, as was her Ponce.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

User Info Menu

Alan Mearns sounds great.

The extra layers in that Cello Suite Prelude are nice but thicken it up too much - for me anyway. The guitar transcription already does that relative to the cello, then we add more layers to emulate a harpsichord? I don't see the point, as we have enough keyboard already. But that's just one listener's impression...

User Info Menu

Probably the best performance of Chopin on the guitar.Exelent!Amazing musicianship of the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Probably the best performance of Chopin on the guitar
    That is a rather low bar

I tend to cringe when guitarists attempt to play Chopin, which is so idiomatic to piano, but agree these are very well done.

he also has a nice folk thing going

Of course she's special, and the classical guitar world recognizes her as such.
    Yes she is a great player, but the recording of the cello prelude is no different than any other guitarist would play. Its not a particularly difficult piece, hear intermediate players pull it off all the time. In their standard transcriptions the cello suites are far easier than the keyboard pieces commonly called the lute suites. The Ponce is another matter, that is a concert-level piece

User Info Menu

Yes she is a great player, but the recording of the cello prelude is no different than any other guitarist would play. Its not a particularly difficult piece, hear intermediate players pull it off all the time. In their standard transcriptions the cello suites are far easier than the keyboard pieces commonly called the lute suites. The Ponce is another matter, that is a concert-level piece
    Yeah well, is that all there is? How easy the piece is, or how well it's played? And as far as "concert-level piece" is concerned..... it's Bach, it's a famous prelude (hence your OP), it's only a prelude, it IS played in concert, and it helped put Yo-Yo Ma on the map.

As you may know, classical guitarists have been playing short and appealing pieces in concert for some time now. (don't even think about the names and performances of Cavatina from The Deer Hunter, lol)

But go ahead - post some "spare-to fair" guitarists that played it as well - or better - than Irina.

User Info Menu

Yeah well, is that all there is? How easy the piece is, or how well it's played? And as far as "concert-level piece" is concerned..... it's Bach, it's a famous prelude (hence your OP), it's only a prelude, it IS played in concert, and it helped put Yo-Yo Ma on the map.

As you may know, classical guitarists have been playing short and appealing pieces in concert for some time now. (don't even think about the names and performances of Cavatina from The Deer Hunter, lol)

But go ahead - post some "spare-to fair" guitarists that played it as well - or better - than Irina.
    There are a lot of classical guitarists playing at a similar level and they don't necessarily have to be on youtube...:-)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

There are a lot of classical guitarists playing at a similar level and they don't necessarily have to be on youtube...:-)

Off topic. Cello prelude.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks. Yifang played it differently. She played it with much more romantic expression, bordering on rubato. Tempting these days. And nice. Some would say not period-correct, but nice. Lacked the kind of forward motion that Irina's rendition did though. (IMO).

The bonus for her of course is that she got to sit in that GSI chair where I sat, in Santa Monica.

User Info Menu

I find it hard to judge different performances of the prelude, so I'm going to say whoever trudges through the most snow wins.

User Info Menu

Her tone production was not nearly as... luscious either. Maybe it's the guitar's fault? Not a helpful selling point for GSI in that case (ouch). So, I'm goin' with the player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I find it hard to judge different performances of the prelude, so I'm going to say whoever trudges through the most snow wins.
    Oh sure, it's hard. Of course that's what everybody does at guitar competitions, though, and they're not all guitarists, or even musicians (the nerve!).

Then at intermission everyone opines about this player or that, and many disagree.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Yifang played it differently. She played it with much more romantic expression, bordering on rubato. Tempting these days. And nice. Some would say not period-correct, but nice. Lacked the kind of forward motion that Irina's rendition did though. (IMO).

The bonus for her of course is that she got to sit in that GSI chair where I sat, in Santa Monica.
    It’s not period correct to play preludes metronomically. That said I wasn’t very fond of Yifang’s choices on a musical level. Not that I could do any better lol.

I quite like the way he pulls it around here. I assume as he’s playing one of those period correct cello de spalla things he’s a baroque music boffin. Not sure if these choices would work on guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    It’s not period correct to play preludes metronomically. That said I wasn’t very fond of Yifang’s choices on a musical level. Not that I could do any better lol.

I quite like the way he pulls it around here. I assume as he’s playing one of those period correct cello de spalla things he’s a baroque music boffin. Not sure if these choices would work on guitar.

who said metronomically other than you? And now we’re back to cello? When do we bring in Yo-Yo?