The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37
    And this is an example of what a keyboardist can do with the Dm Chaccone BWV 1004, similar to the approach Mearns takes in his version

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interesting, which is your fave on the harpsichord?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    Interesting, which is your fave on the harpsichord?
    Probably the last one, but am partial to the Lautenwerck as well

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    who said metronomically other than you? And now we’re back to cello? When do we bring in Yo-Yo?
    well maybe not metronomically but as I understand it the quite atempo version of Irina’s version as I understand it doesn’t necessarily represent a more ‘baroque’ approach than the other one. Sounds good though.

tbh when I hear this piece played on guitar I long for the cello. Got to hear those low G’s…. But they are good notes in any key. I brought the cello up because it’s an example of a period style performance on the instrument we think Bach wrote it for (ie not the modern seated cello) and he uses a fair bit of rubato, but never mind… you won’t find that type of interpretation from a classical guitarist playing a transcription. as I say it might not work on guitar, you can keep the sound going on cello.

Also, more baroque or HIP does not necessarily mean ‘better’. Cassals version is always going to be immortal. I like Segovia too and I’m not ashamed to say it haha

TBH I ornamenting the prelude in a way suitable for the instrument I feel the OP guitarist is kind of staying truer to the baroque spirit….

User Info Menu

So far this guy moves me most with Bach on classical guitar;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Probably the last one, but am partial to the Lautenwerck as well
    i confess to being in a hurry when i listened, but preferred the last one too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    well maybe not metronomically but as I understand it the quite atempo version of Irina’s version as I understand it doesn’t necessarily represent a more ‘baroque’ approach than the other one. Sounds good though.

tbh when I hear this piece played on guitar I long for the cello. Got to hear those low G’s…. But they are good notes in any key. I brought the cello up because it’s an example of a period style performance on the instrument we think Bach wrote it for (ie not the modern seated cello) and he uses a fair bit of rubato, but never mind… you won’t find that type of interpretation from a classical guitarist playing a transcription. as I say it might not work on guitar, you can keep the sound going on cello.

Also, more baroque or HIP does not necessarily mean ‘better’. Cassals version is always going to be immortal. I like Segovia too and I’m not ashamed to say it haha

TBH I ornamenting the prelude in a way suitable for the instrument I feel the OP guitarist is kind of staying truer to the baroque spirit….
    Yes the way the bass notes are played on the cello in this piece are markedly different sounding than what can be accomplished on a classical guitar.

As far as the baroque "spirit" is concerned here, I am distracted by the extra voices used in that arrangment, as I am with the keyboard arrangments. Not good or bad, just further away from the cello composition, and I like the guitar chord sounds on the arangement that Kulikova played.

Different strokes for different folks.

User Info Menu

Have any of you played the Prelude from Bach's 1st Cello Suite on guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Only a little. There is even an arrangement for plectrum guitar. (a non-starter IMO. needlessly difficult)

User Info Menu

As it happens I played it only yesterday, not very well though as I haven’t played it for ages (and I hadn’t touched my classical guitar for at least a week). I do try and play something from either the lute suites or the cello suites quite regularly though.

Have read through it, would not say that I played it

I do play the gavottes from the 6th cello suite, which are great pieces and not too difficult