The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

She's fantastic!
    I posted the following video awhile back of another young lady playing this piece (though by now its an old clip) and it got almost no comment, tough crowd!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Really impressive play. But when I see such kids playing excellent guitar on difficult pieces, it reminds me everytime on child labor.
    Does this girl have a childhood? Or is it forced to practice 5-6 hours a day? I don't know...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    Really impressive play. But when I see such kids playing excellent guitar on difficult pieces, it reminds me everytime on child labor.
    Does this girl have a childhood? Or is it forced to practice 5-6 hours a day? I don't know...
    Very accurate remarks but do professional musicians have a childhood.
    Most of the so-called classical musicians went to music schools and very often did not have time to "play football".
    Musicians really practice a lot but are they always satisfied with the results of their work...?

User Info Menu

Most of the so-called classical musicians went to music schools and very often did not have time to "play football".
    True, but look at where most of the current-day child prodigies come from. That probably answers most questions on whether they are true natural talent musicians or highly trained & drilled circus performers. (See my mumblings about age and musical understanding below.)

Musicians really practice a lot but are they always satisfied with the results of their work...?
    Good question, I see some of that here in France even for amateur musicians. Or rather, even kids who just want to play an instrument as a hobby are (often) put through the wringer because the system assumes that anyone doing a serious undertaking of something that exists as a profession does it to become a professional. Rather than letting the kid discover if they have the motivation to spend more and more of their free time on "just music" they quickly get a whole programme spelled out for them, which could even require them to start learning a 2nd instrument. In fact, even adults wanting to take lessons at a music school may find themselves forced to go through a "full cycle" including solfège, choir and orchestra practice. Not saying that cannot be useful but you do have to be able to make time for it.

As to musicians being satisfied with their results? That part is probably more easily covered in young kids; I can still remember being content of myself if I had mastered to play something "high, fast and loud" (at an age well beyond prodigy qualification I should add ). The question is whether they enjoy it, and whether they have the emotional maturity to understand the music. IIRC there is a lower age limit for being able to hear/understand correct intonation and there is another (higher) one for musical understanding. And indeed, most often I will find myself suitably impressed by technical prowess of child prodigies but not moved by their playing, to the point where I usually don't even bother to go listen to them anymore.

User Info Menu

I have a different opinion on this topic..:-)

User Info Menu

So any child that exhibits aptitude at an early age is still going to need to be "pushed" to a certain extent to practice the amount required for "greatness." No matter how good they are.

The question becomes whether the push is one of encouragement or one of control to the point of being abusive.

I think it can be hard to tell sometimes.

User Info Menu

And what happens when a child is very talented musically but prefers to play computer games for hours...?
    Parents are helpless...

User Info Menu

And what happens when a child is very talented musically but prefers to play computer games for hours...?
    Parents are helpless...
    Hopefully the child will become good at its preferred activity!
    (Part of my view on this subject comes from what my sister tells me about her -adopted- daughter, and guess why I mention that )

User Info Menu

At that age I was only playing video games. If only I can rewind time back

User Info Menu

Parents are helpless...
    Rick Beato's son Dylan fits this description.

User Info Menu

I think Xinyan has an uncanny musical maturity for someone 8 years old! Some kids just seem to channel into something from beyond. Just wait until she's big enough to play a full sized instrument.

No comment from me on the questions of her motivation. We can't know what's going on. Maybe she really loves to play more than anything else. Some kids are odd. Her playing doesn't sound like the result of whip-cracking to me.

I hope life goes well for her.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I think Xinyan has an uncanny musical maturity for someone 8 years old! Some kids just seem to channel into something from beyond. Just wait until she's big enough to play a full sized instrument.

No comment from me on the questions of her motivation. We can't know what's going on. Maybe she really loves to play more than anything else. Some kids are odd. Her playing doesn't sound like the result of whip-cracking to me.

I hope life goes well for her.
    Great post!
    I'm turning into a child I bought and I play a small sized classical guitar.

User Info Menu

To me it looks like she's playing a more-or-less period correct instrument. I'd have pointed out that she could have played any 1/2 or 3/4 classical but this is a Siccas recording so those were probably not good (and/or expensive) enough.

Remember that this is Paganini music. A great performer but not exactly the greatest composer ever if you look beyond the flashyness. She does play it appropriately but it's impossible to tell if that's her own input or just flawless execution of instructions from her teacher (or someone else's example). If I were to bet it'd be more on the latter than on the former.

User Info Menu

Whaaaaaaaat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    To me it looks like she's playing a more-or-less period correct instrument. I'd have pointed out that she could have played any 1/2 or 3/4 classical but this is a Siccas recording so those were probably not good (and/or expensive) enough.

Remember that this is Paganini music. A great performer but not exactly the greatest composer ever if you look beyond the flashyness. She does play it appropriately but it's impossible to tell if that's her own input or just flawless execution of instructions from her teacher (or someone else's example). If I were to bet it'd be more on the latter than on the former.
    she’s like, 8

User Info Menu

well...you write as if you could play this piece better.

User Info Menu

She's amazing! But not just technically, the playing is always musical, from start to finish. And she looked to me that she was enjoying her own virtuosity without feeling she was showing off. I've seen quite a few of these Chinese YouTube child sensations, and she strikes me as the most natural and content of all of them. I hope to hear her when she has lived life another thirty years, as she opens up to a world of emotions, and yes, I expect her playing to adapt to life's vagaries. She's the real deal, and deserves all the support and love she can get, not sniping by idiots on forums.

User Info Menu

I play like that… But then I wake up…

User Info Menu

...or just flawless execution of instructions from her teacher (or someone else's example). If I were to bet it'd be more on the latter than on the former.
    You're entitled to say whatever you like, but I haven't met many 8 year olds that can flawlessly execute instructions on how to clean up their bedroom. She's been playing for what, maybe 4 years? Will you admit that there might be some talent here? I hope you've checked out some of her other offerings.

I see, hear, and agree with what Mr. MacKillop is talking about. As I often do.

User Info Menu

I see, hear, and agree with what Mr. MacKillop is talking about. As I often do.
    I don’t…

User Info Menu

Will you admit that there might be some talent here?
    I didn't say there wasn't, did I, and definitely not that her technique isn't close to perfect!

And I'm not planning to be around in 30 years to see if she became a guitar superstar or slid back into anonymity.

Besides, I'm just an idiot, right?

User Info Menu

You are on my ignore list, RJVB, here and on Delcamp. Please do likewise for me, then both fora will be less tiresome for the both of us, and we shall live happily ever after, as in all the best fairy tales.

User Info Menu

I was going to ignore this but realised you deserved to know you haven't yet earned that honour (which also comes at a price)

User Info Menu

I was going to ignore this but realised you deserved to know you haven't yet earned that honour (which also comes at a price)
    Instead of wasting your time on pointless discussion, just play 8 bars of this piece like this little girl.