The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Scottish guitarist Paul Galbraith is one of the premier practitioners of J.S. Bach. He plays a "Brahms Guitar" that is played like a cello and uses a box-shaped resonator to amplify the sound. The instrument was invented in 1994 in collaboration with luthier David Rubio. I hope you enjoy this special music.
    Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Otoh these guys are playing cellos like guitars

where will it end??? Just play normal instruments!

User Info Menu

In seriousness the playing is beautiful

reminds me of the theorbo or baroque lute in that there’s a really nice quality to a low bass string that wiggles around

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller

where will it end???
    I'm not sure but this guy is hanging upside down while playing a cello solo

User Info Menu

I think Galbraith was looking for a sound that couldn't be duplicated in a standard instrument. And, for me, I think he has found it. However, it's not a gimmick. I believe he let his ears dictate the instrument he wanted to play. Sounds creative and logical to me.
    Marinero

P.S. There are many CG's who play Bach. Few, really, play it well and Paul is certainly one of them.
    M

User Info Menu

My CG teacher was a bit critical of John Williams, all technique no feel etc, however I had a CD with a blue cover of John Williams playing Bach and really liked it.

There's a guy I know here in Ireland that also plays the Brahms guitar. His name is Redmond O'Toole. Nice guy.

Edit. Here he is on an 8 string Brahms guitar playing Bach as his first piece.

User Info Menu

"My CG teacher was a bit critical of John Williams, all technique no feel . . . " liarspoker

Hi, L,
    Williams was an outstanding master technician but lacked warmth and a voice.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

I believe member Navdeep Singh plays an electric archtop version of this guitar by Victor Baker.

Some of the other posts in the thread reminded me of my cello teacher Hans Siegrist when I was a kid. At one lesson in an attempt to get me to loosen up a bit about the whole undertaking he put his cello over his knee and started playing something similar to Mississippi John Hurt. "Music should be fun" in a heavy German accent.

It wasn't long after that I took up guitar and got me a John Hurt book.

I enjoyed Paul's playing.