The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    Law of physics - what are you on about? Look in the video above in reply no. 17 above, he clearly says rest stroke is easier because it's easier to relax between notes. This accords with my own experience.
    Are you avoiding my question about "Recuerdos??? Why not answer it honestly for everyone on this Forum to hear? Look, J, I'm trying to have a civil conversation with you that you're attempting to derail with your undeniable animus and penchant for sophistry. You know the answer to the above question and you can't squiggle out of the noose if you're a university-trained Classical Guitarist. I've told you in a previous thread that I'll continue to try to speak with you if it is a genuine conversation about music but you're making it difficult. I'm not going to waste any time with your posts if you continue this dishonesty. However, like some on this Forum, I will not put you on the "Ignore" list . . . just simply ignore you if this persists.
    Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Are you avoiding my question about "Recuerdos??? Why not answer it honestly for everyone on this Forum to hear?
    What question about Recuerdos? I looked back at the post and the only question I found was - 'Are you looking for an exception to confuse someone who is looking for an honest answer?' Which I can't answer because I reject the question's premise - that free stroke is faster or easier than rest stroke. There can therefore be no exception.

Look, J, I'm trying to have a civil conversation with you that you're attempting to derail with your undeniable animus and penchant for sophistry.
    No, I just made reference to Tariq Harb who said it's easier to play faster with rest stroke. He's a classical guitar virtuoso - why should I believe you and not Tariq Harb?

You know the answer to the above question and you can't squiggle out of the noose if you're a university-trained Classical Guitarist. I've told you in a previous thread that I'll continue to try to speak with you if it is a genuine conversation about music but you're making it difficult. I'm not going to waste any time with your posts if you continue this dishonesty.
    What dishonesty? This is a genuine question.

User Info Menu

What question about Recuerdos? I looked back at the post and the only question I found was - 'Are you looking for an exception to confuse someone who is looking for an honest answer?' Which I can't answer because I reject the question's premise - that free stroke is faster or easier than rest stroke. There can therefore be no exception.

No, I just made reference to Tariq Harb who said it's easier to play faster with rest stroke. He's a classical guitar virtuoso - why should I believe you and not Tariq Harb?

Tarrega's "Recuerdos de la Alhmabra" is one of the most challenging pieces for a Classical guitarist. Many serious guitarists will never master the tremolo technique, most play it adequately . . . few play it very well. Can you provide one recorded example of any guitarist anywhere in the known universe who plays it with rest stroke? The answer is "No" since one could not maintain the speed necessary to play the entire piece correctly and at tempo. There is NO technique faster than free stroke tremolo that can be played for any extended duration. Period.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Can you provide one recorded example of any guitarist anywhere in the known universe who plays it with rest stroke? The answer is "No" since one could not maintain the speed necessary to play the entire piece correctly and at tempo.
    The reason why guitarists don't use rest stroke for tremolo isn't because it's impossible to play fast rest stroke for extended periods of time it's because of the kind of tone and dynamic contrast that one gets only from free stroke playing. Rest stroke tends naturally to be louder and more forceful and thus thought to be inappropriate musically for tremolo.

User Info Menu

I see you edited the OP. Since I'm very much in the nails camp, I'm afraid I can't answer your question, sorry.
    That's fine - and you didn't have to feel obliged (in case you did) to tell me that

User Info Menu

rest vs. free strokes, nylon vs. steel strings-web-logo-top-left-png

M, you're not contributing. Please take your discussion elsewhere.

User Info Menu

nails are only necessary if you are going to try to perform CG professionally in concert halls and need that volume and attack, otherwise its just personal choice

User Info Menu

A classical guitar instructor told me one should be able to make a rest stroke sound like a free stroke, and one should be able to make a free stroke sound like a rest stroke.

I thought fine, I only play free strokes then. And that's what I do (on both nylon and steel strings).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    nails are only necessary if you are going to try to perform CG professionally in concert halls and need that volume and attack, otherwise its just personal choice
    Attack, yes ... volume, I'm not so convinced. Besides, doesn't Sor (or another founder of the modern CG school) claim that not using nails gives more volume?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    rest vs. free strokes, nylon vs. steel strings-web-logo-top-left-png

M, you're not contributing. Please take your discussion elsewhere.

Disclaimer*****

The information presented in this post by James W and others is misleading, at best, and fails to answer the OP's question. If you're interested in real information concerning CG, may I refer you to Douglas Niedt's outstanding website at douglasniedt.com. Doug performed at Carnegie Hall at 18, studied with some of the CG greats, including Segovia, and had a great career as a performer, teacher, and recording artist. His website is a treasure trove of CG information and pedagogy. And to RJVB, I promise I will never respond to one of your posts. This discussion, to any serious, trained CG is a dishonest farce and for the record, RJ, you are a certified fool. Your company is well-matched.
    Marinero