The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    What price range are you considering?
    I'm trying not to exceed $3000. However, it can be a used or new instrument so MSRP can be higher. For instance, I see some Ramirez SPR guitars for $3k or less but MSRP is usually about double that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Is my Ramirez 1A too expensive for you? See For Sale section. It won’t wear out for 500 years.
    That's a good price but it is more than I'm looking for. I'm actually not looking to buy just yet but want to get a good idea for what my options are. I'll probably buy sometime at the beginning of next year. For a 1A though I probably would be a little more flexible as that is a keep forever kind of guitar.

User Info Menu

I didn’t realize your budget was 3K, with which you should definitely find a good instrument. I had a Ramirez N or R4 can’t recall which, in that price range. I really enjoyed its sound and feel. It was of course not made in the Ramirez shop. And, it’s heavy lacquer finish could have staved off a HIMARS attack. But it had good resale value thanks to the name.

The Kenny Hill Player series come in around 2K, and are worth a look.

TBH there are many options out there (and equally many opinions here))) and the old advice of playing before buying holds true.

OP where do you live? Spending a day at a store with a good selection is worth the effort even if it involves a drive. If you’re east coast, Savage Classical on Long Island, or Kirkpatrick near Baltimore are great hang out and try stores. (Classical Guitar Store in Philly prices tend to start at 4-5K and go up.)

jk

User Info Menu

$3000 is a decent budget. You could get a Yamaha GC32S or C and have change jangling in your pocket or the GC42 S or C and have no change. People rag on Yamaha because it is Yamaha but the GC series is really good if you snoop around. Give it a chance.

Esteve from Spain I like. The Esteve 9, 11 models bought from a Guitarras de Luthier in Spain are about 50% of what they cost in the USA, about €1350 each sans VAT. I have read good things about Guitarras Antonio Picado. Juan Hernandez guitars are made in a corner of the Esteve workshop.

Michael Lazar, an "amateur" luthier in Canada who has made and sold over 140 guitars, makes professional quality guitars with different bracing patterns, starting from about USD3000. I would consider Michael Lazar first although I mentioned him last. Nothing midrange about Michael's guitars except for his price. Classical Guitars by Michael F Lazar

PS Michael Lazar posts the prices in Canadian dollars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris32895
    For a 1A though I probably would be a little more flexible as that is a keep forever kind of guitar.
    Well, if you live in the States, Chris, the Dollar-Pound balance lies heavily in your favour right now. Just saying. I know I sound like a used-car salesman, but now really is the best time to buy. One dollar = 1 pound. That will change.

User Info Menu

what do you call a midrange?? you talk about a factory guitar??
    I ask because many people don't have to mush money for a high range guitar but, probably, when you see high range you are talking about 6k,7, 15k for a guitar
    that is not totally true I build high range guitars and they start at 3500€

User Info Menu

My Ramirez has been sold.

Don't mean to revive a dead thread but I am still looking lol. Now I have narrowed it down to 3 instruments I can save up towards. These are:
    1. Pavan TP-30
    2. Esteve (Manuel Adalid) Model 12
    3. Picado Model 60

These would all be with cedar tops and are in no real order except that I have done the most research on the Pavan and the price is the most attractive.

User Info Menu

Hi Chris
    i see in my earlier response i didn’t mention that I did have a Pavan 30. I enjoyed the guitar, a nice player. Good cedar sound, used it in a couple of student recitals and it served me well.
    The others Ive never played so cant comment.
    (That certainly does not stop others from commenting on guitars theyve never touched, but not this kid))))).
    good luck!
    jk

User Info Menu

My vote goes to the Pavan

User Info Menu

Hi Chris,

Sorry for being a broken record but in my opinion you'll have a much better idea if you try out the instruments in person. If you can visit a big dealer, that would be best. The right guitar for you might be something that you'd never expect.
    Ok, that said, I had a friend that used a Pavan guitar for undergraduate studies. It was a good guitar. If memory hasn't failed me, I wasn't impressed by Picado. Never tried the Esteve. I hope you don't take my word for it though, try the guitar!

Is your budget still $3000? If so, I would strongly consider going used because you'd get into the realm of luthier instruments. I too disagree with the comment about used guitars losing their voice after 5 years. That only happens on really old instruments that've been played to death.

The guitars you mention if I remember right are quite below that, yes? Kenny Hill student guitars are pretty good too. Oh, Cordoba's good too.

User Info Menu

Don't mean to revive a dead thread but I am still looking lol. Now I have narrowed it down to 3 instruments I can save up towards. These are:
    1. Pavan TP-30
    2. Esteve (Manuel Adalid) Model 12
    3. Picado Model 60

These would all be with cedar tops and are in no real order except that I have done the most research on the Pavan and the price is the most attractive.
    I have (and quite love) my Otto Vowinkel 3A. It is made by Picado, but with Otto's take on bracing and aesthetics (headstock, rosette, etc). I had a chance to also play the 2A as well, but I preferred the Indian Rosewood back and sides over Maple. As someone that is not playing in large rooms, I enjoy the warmth/complexity over the added projection. That said, if you are looking at the Picado, you might want to see about the Otto as well. They are fantastic.

Budget is still $3k at the moment. For me, I want to buy new just for peace of mind. I'm a little paranoid about that kind of stuff and have been burned with instruments (and other stuff). I would love to go somewhere and try out lots of different instruments. I agree it is the best thing to do and that is ultimately what led me to my archtop guitar. However, I don't know of many places around me stocked with decent classical guitars.

Part of me thinks for this reason it might be better to trim my budget and find a solid instrument to practice on that will not limit me and in the future (many years from now) start looking for a nice luthier-built guitar. If I went with this criteria I would choose the Pavan on price and reputation (judging from remarks here and from classical guitar Delcamp) and then maybe later commission a luthier to build me something nicer if I felt it was necessary.

User Info Menu

Budget is still $3k at the moment. For me, I want to buy new just for peace of mind. I'm a little paranoid about that kind of stuff and have been burned with instruments (and other stuff). I would love to go somewhere and try out lots of different instruments. I agree it is the best thing to do and that is ultimately what led me to my archtop guitar. However, I don't know of many places around me stocked with decent classical guitars.

Part of me thinks for this reason it might be better to trim my budget and find a solid instrument to practice on that will not limit me and in the future (many years from now) start looking for a nice luthier-built guitar. If I went with this criteria I would choose the Pavan on price and reputation (judging from remarks here and from classical guitar Delcamp) and then maybe later commission a luthier to build me something nicer if I felt it was necessary.
    Richard Sayage at SavageClassicalGuitar.com deals mostly with higher end guitars but he does have guitars in your price range as well. He is reputable and honest (no bargains but fair prices). He would be happy to talk to you about what you want/need and he does have a number of guitars in your price range plus a WHOLE BUNCH of audio files where he demo's each of the guitars (hundreds of them) at his shop (and website).

Richard is VERY/VERY well respected within the classical guitar community. His shop is on Long Island, NY, BTW, but he regularly deals strictly by phone and email - I bought a nice luthier guitar from him with no issues. He also does his own setup work if that is required on the guitar that you buy from him.

dave

User Info Menu

As has been previously mentioned, the Classical Guitar Store in Philly (The Classical Guitar Store ...since 1967 - Home) is a great place to try a lot of guitars. Where are you actually located?

Northeast Ohio area