The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 140

User Info Menu

Had a go at an open improv in Dm. Feel like I'm at the shallow end... There's places this could have gone...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Had a go at an open improv in Dm. Feel like I'm at the shallow end... There's places this could have gone...

Very nice Christian. There are some beautiful things in there.

Work out what you were doing then take it to those places

User Info Menu

I’m gonna try and do one of these a week

User Info Menu

Very nice Christian. I must listen to it a few times more to get a sense of what is going on.

Looking forward to your weekly contributions

I'm heavily into a writing phase atm but will be back in the partimento world soon enough.

Pity that Nicola's book is so expensive. It's €19 everywhere else

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Very nice Christian. I must listen to it a few times more to get a sense of what is going on.

Looking forward to your weekly contributions
    Thanks! This Partimento is in Em so nice for the guitar (a little less so when it modulates to Bm, but what you gonna do?)

I'm heavily into a writing phase atm but will be back in the partimento world soon enough.
    I need to do that. I need write a new album...

Pity that Nicola's book is so expensive. It's €19 everywhere else
    It arrived today.

Initial impressions - everything's in nice easy keys wherever possible and there's some very practical fingerings and voicings.

I will need to go through it in depth to see if I get much out of it. I think it'll be nice to doodle around on my nylon string. The way I play at the moment it's very jazz guitar, lots of closed positions even in Em. It might be nice to let the guitar work for me a bit more.

DM me ;-)

User Info Menu

Latest partimento channel update

The most beautiful Gallant Schemata?

User Info Menu

Late to the party...love these sounds...

How does one get into this? I wouldn't even know where to start. I also hate rules.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Late to the party...love these sounds...

How does one get into this? I wouldn't even know where to start. I also hate rules.
    Great!

you could probably do worse than pick up Peter Crotons figured bass for classical guitar and Nicola Pignatiello’a new edition of the Fenaroli rules (there’s some basic partmenti at the back to get you started.)

the schema thing is in Gjedingen’s music in the gallant era, but you can probably learn loads by looking around the internet.

John Mortensen’s books are also wonderful, and the first easily (pianists guide to historical improvisation) is mostly adaptable to guitar. Not sure about the second yet haha.

User Info Menu

Partimento-a9fb03c2-5ecc-4742-819a-0432531f84ae-jpeg
    Scholarly discourse on the Art of Partimento FB group….

User Info Menu

Mr B, out of the books that Christian listed above I have found the first John Mortensen's book Historic Improvisation the most accessable.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Mr B, out of the books that Christian listed above I have found the first John Mortensen's book Historic Improvisation the most accessable.

Enjoy!
    Accessible is what I need, some of this stuff reads like stereo instructions. Thank you!

User Info Menu

The croton book very practical as well. I think it’s a good idea to get a good grounding in figures and all the stuff in the book plays naturally on the guitar.

User Info Menu

After missing a week due to bank holiday issues lol, I'm on the nylon string.

I find this makes me operate a differently. I put in two takes so you can see more of my process such as it is. Warts and all stuff.

Bass/chord chart at the end courtesy of Mario Moya (Partimento Workshop on Facebook)

User Info Menu

Very nice Christian. I like your approach. I'm involved in a little project so haven't been visiting here as much.

I received Nicola's book an hour ago. It's smaller than I thought it would be.

Ok must go to teach at school. Looking forward to your next piece(s).

M

User Info Menu

There's been a bit of a break, but I present a longer video

Versets seem like great preparation for proper pieces.

They're simple - theme, development (usually melodic sequencing of a motive through a cycle), cadence. You can extra stuff and prolong as long as you like, but those are the basics.

If you move them into different keys you can join theme together, and we these sorts of things in the Bach two part invention for example (small example of that at the end)

Here's is the video I got the thematic material from. It's very info dense like all Michael's stuff.

User Info Menu

Very nice Christian. Composing this sort of stuff is easy but improvising with it is difficult so very well done.

Was that recorded direct?

User Info Menu

Very nice Christian. Composing this sort of stuff is easy but improvising with it is difficult so very well done.

Was that recorded direct?
    Yes straight in

User Info Menu

Extremely basic video, but here’s a nice idea I’ve been playing with

btw - a quiescenza is basically I7-IV-V7-I all over a I pedal, so

G7 C/G D7/G G

it is very common as an opening gesture and also as a post cadential figure throughout the c18 and often used to build to a climax in Mozarts music.

User Info Menu

Back to the partimento grindstone. I realised I didn’t have the tied bass suspensions dailed in so I’ve running those.

eg
    C Dm/C G/B C/B F/A Bm7b5/A Em/G etc

this features two inversions of the upper voices. Close position is also very nice but quite challenging fingering wise on many string groups

User Info Menu

Back to the partimento grindstone. I realised I didn’t have the tied bass suspensions dailed in so I’ve running those.

eg
    C Dm/C G/B C/B F/A Bm7b5/A Em/G etc

this features two inversions of the upper voices. Close position is also very nice but quite challenging fingering wise on many string groups
    These are so cool.

User Info Menu

It has come to my attention that Tchaikovsky’s harmony book is teaching the same sort of stuff. Lots of figured bass and classic patterns ‘moti de bassi’ and parti-like exercises.

And no bloody Roman Numerals haha

https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/u...xtbook_Eng.pdf

User Info Menu

Some mucking around and bad singing

User Info Menu

Some mucking around and bad singing
    Placido Do-Millero LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Placido Do-Millero LOL
    I actually used to be quite serious about classical singing. I know, I hide it well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Placido Do-Millero LOL